Windows Time Service errors

Steven L.

Windows Time Service errors
I have Vista SP2. The Event Viewer shows that I keep getting the
following type of error message repeatedly:

NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source
because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient
will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval
thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)

This is but one of many such messages.

I suspect that this is also waking up my computer out of a sound sleep.
:-)

I admit I don't know much about the Windows Time Service. I tried
opening up a Command window and running
w32tm /resync

But the response I got back (after a bit of time) was:

"The computer did not resync because no time data was available."

I cannot find Event ID 37 in the Event Viewer, indicating that sync with
a time source peer was never done successfully.

Any ideas?

Steven L.
sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

Dave T.

Re: Windows Time Service errors
Steven L. wrote:
> I have Vista SP2. The Event Viewer shows that I keep getting the
> following type of error message repeatedly:
>
> NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source
> because of DNS resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient
> will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval
> thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9)
>
> This is but one of many such messages.
>
> I suspect that this is also waking up my computer out of a sound sleep.
> :-)
>
> I admit I don't know much about the Windows Time Service. I tried
> opening up a Command window and running
> w32tm /resync
>
> But the response I got back (after a bit of time) was:
>
> "The computer did not resync because no time data was available."
>
> I cannot find Event ID 37 in the Event Viewer, indicating that sync with
> a time source peer was never done successfully.
>
> Any ideas?

> Steven L.
> sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
> Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

Hi Steven. Windows time is run by Microsoft I believe and it is known to
have issues from time to time. Try the gov. site. I have win7 now but as
I recall it goes something like this;

Right click the time in the task bar. Click adjust time and date. click
the internet tab. Click change settings. Click the drop down arrow and
choose Time.nist.gov.

Try that and see if it helps your problem.

Dave T.
Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Time Service errors
Dave

LOL. You are not even close. The issue that the OP posted has nothing to do with
your post

--
Peter

"Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message
> Steven L. wrote:
>> I have Vista SP2. The Event Viewer shows that I keep getting the following type
>> of error message repeatedly:
>>
>> NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS
>> resolution error on 'time.windows.com,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15
>> minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host
>> is known. (0x80072AF9)
>>
>> This is but one of many such messages.
>>
>> I suspect that this is also waking up my computer out of a sound sleep. :-)
>>
>> I admit I don't know much about the Windows Time Service. I tried opening up a
>> Command window and running
>> w32tm /resync
>>
>> But the response I got back (after a bit of time) was:
>>
>> "The computer did not resync because no time data was available."
>>
>> I cannot find Event ID 37 in the Event Viewer, indicating that sync with a time
>> source peer was never done successfully.
>>
>> Any ideas?

>> Steven L.
>> sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
>> Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.
>>

> Hi Steven. Windows time is run by Microsoft I believe and it is known to have
> issues from time to time. Try the gov. site. I have win7 now but as I recall it
> goes something like this;
>
> Right click the time in the task bar. Click adjust time and date. click the
> internet tab. Click change settings. Click the drop down arrow and choose
> Time.nist.gov.
>
> Try that and see if it helps your problem.
>
> Dave T.

Peter Foldes

Re: Windows Time Service errors
Steven

Vista what? Can you let us know. Also do you have any Office versions installed and
if so which one along with the SP level

--
Peter

"Peter Foldes" <bounce@bounce> wrote in message

> Steven
>
> Vista what? Can you let us know. Also do you have any Office versions installed and
> if so which one along with the SP level

Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.

Microsoft Office 2007. Doing "About Outlook..." on Outlook returns SP2
MSO (12.0....)

-- Steven L.