Windows Explorer not responding

USAOz

Windows Explorer not responding
My Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) keeps freezing with a title bar
error message 'Not Responding'. I t may or may not resolve itself after
about 10 minutes - more often not! I am usually given the option to restart
it but then the desktop is refreshed and I lose about half my app tray icons!

I had read the (similar) threads here but they date back to 2007 and none
offer a solution.

This is happening on a desktop (not a laptop that most of the threads refer
to) and happens immediately after a clean install (fdone to try to overcome
this annoying issue) with NOTHING in the way of registry cleaners and only
Kaspersky IS 2010 and Office 2007 installed.

So, any brilliant ideas out there?

Re: Windows Explorer not responding
In Control Panel choose Problem Reports and Solutions (type problem in
Start's searchbox), go to Problem History, right click your error and choose
Check For Solution. You can also examine the details.

In Administrative Tools choose Reliability and Performance Monitor and
choose MonitoringTools then Reliability Monitor (type Reliability in search
on Start) . This list is a chart of software installs, uninstalls, Windows
updates, and crashes by date. See if your crashes started happening after
you installed or uninstalled something.

Also d/l http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
Disable all non microsoft shell extensions and reenable one by one if it
helps.

You may wish to do clean boot
troubleshooting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

--
..
--
"USAOz" <USAOz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) keeps freezing with a title
> bar
> error message 'Not Responding'. I t may or may not resolve itself after
> about 10 minutes - more often not! I am usually given the option to
> restart
> it but then the desktop is refreshed and I lose about half my app tray
> icons!
>
> I had read the (similar) threads here but they date back to 2007 and none
> offer a solution.
>
> This is happening on a desktop (not a laptop that most of the threads
> refer
> to) and happens immediately after a clean install (fdone to try to
> overcome
> this annoying issue) with NOTHING in the way of registry cleaners and only
> Kaspersky IS 2010 and Office 2007 installed.
>
> So, any brilliant ideas out there?

USABrit

RE: Windows Explorer not responding
This is also happening to me, however, when I click on Control Panel to get
to the screen mentioned, it tells me "Windows Explorer Not Responding" and I
am right back where I started.

What now?