Low Memory?? All gone at once??

nmulder33

Low Memory?? All gone at once??

I'm a complete dummy when it comes to computers so I hope someone can
help me with this.
I bought my Acer laptop with Vista on it about two years back. The C
drive is the drive that hold all my programs, the D drive is for extra
backup. Yesterday my laptop was showing me an error saying I'm low on
memory. I thought that to be odd as I haven't really installed anything.
So I uninstalled programs or software that I didn't need or used. Today
no matter what I uninstall, and that has been quite a bit, the error
keeps popping up saying that I have no memory left. Then it showed me I
had 18 MB left and I went back to work. Within a short period of time,
I suddenly had no memory left.
Can someone tell me why this is happening?? I make my living on my
laptop and I have no clue what is going on!

--
nmulder33
nmulder33's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/169115.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

peter

Re: Low Memory?? All gone at once??
You need to post the exact error message as well as specs of your system
We suspect you mean Hard drive space.
Since most Laptops only have one HD we also suspect that
C and D are partitions on same Hard drive. Using a partition
on the same HD as your Main Partition is on is not a good backup
plan. When the HD dies your backups will die with it. Most use
an external HD device for backup.
So the error message might refer to your D partition being full of backups.
If you right click the C and then the D partitions under explorer and then
properties
you will see a graphical representation of your Partitions(?) and which one is
almost full.
please do post back

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"nmulder33" <nmulder33.440ura@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm a complete dummy when it comes to computers so I hope someone can
> help me with this.
> I bought my Acer laptop with Vista on it about two years back. The C
> drive is the drive that hold all my programs, the D drive is for extra
> backup. Yesterday my laptop was showing me an error saying I'm low on
> memory. I thought that to be odd as I haven't really installed anything.
> So I uninstalled programs or software that I didn't need or used. Today
> no matter what I uninstall, and that has been quite a bit, the error
> keeps popping up saying that I have no memory left. Then it showed me I
> had 18 MB left and I went back to work. Within a short period of time,
> I suddenly had no memory left.
> Can someone tell me why this is happening?? I make my living on my
> laptop and I have no clue what is going on!
>

> --
> nmulder33
> nmulder33's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/169115.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ce/1287888.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Timmah

Re: Low Memory?? All gone at once??

...You are backing up your files to the recovery partition. The recovery
partition is something you don't want to mess with. I'll post more
information when I am able to, but basically the D Drive is the recovery
drive on an ACER System. Backups, by default, see the recovery partition
as a seperate hard-drive when in fact it is actually a "part" of the
single hard-drive in your system. Uninstalling programs won't help you,
because the programs are on the C Drive. You need to work on the D
Drive!!!! BUT DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING IN THAT DRIVE WITHOUT CONSULTING US
FIRST IF YOU DO DELETE SOMETHING IN THAT PARTITION YOU COULD MUCK UP
YOUR RECOVERY AND BE UNABLE TO REINSTALL WINDOWS IF IT IS NEEDED!!

I want you to go to Start>>Computer>>Recovery "D" Drive">>Take a
screenshot of it by using PrintSC and pasting it in paint. Then upload
it to Imageshack or a similar service and post the picture here..

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING BEFORE CONSULTING US!!!

--
Timmah

If I helped you, No need to thank me, just give me some + Rep
peter

Re: Low Memory?? All gone at once??
On my Acer Laptop the D drive is the Data drive
It was set up that way by the original installation.
There is 1 HD with 2 Partitions.. C and D
the Recovery Partition does not show under Explorer only under Admin
Tools/etc/etc

"Timmah" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> ..You are backing up your files to the recovery partition. The recovery
> partition is something you don't want to mess with. I'll post more
> information when I am able to, but basically the D Drive is the recovery
> drive on an ACER System. Backups, by default, see the recovery partition
> as a seperate hard-drive when in fact it is actually a "part" of the
> single hard-drive in your system. Uninstalling programs won't help you,
> because the programs are on the C Drive. You need to work on the D
> Drive!!!! BUT DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING IN THAT DRIVE WITHOUT CONSULTING US
> FIRST IF YOU DO DELETE SOMETHING IN THAT PARTITION YOU COULD MUCK UP
> YOUR RECOVERY AND BE UNABLE TO REINSTALL WINDOWS IF IT IS NEEDED!!
>
> I want you to go to Start>>Computer>>Recovery "D" Drive">>Take a
> screenshot of it by using PrintSC and pasting it in paint. Then upload
> it to Imageshack or a similar service and post the picture here..
>
> PLEASE DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING BEFORE CONSULTING US!!!
>

> --
> Timmah
>
> If I helped you, No need to thank me, just give me some + Rep

CrucialHoax

Re: Low Memory?? All gone at once??

More than likely whats happening is that C: drive doesn't have enough
room to do the auto back-up anymore. Either that, or your putting info
on the D: partition like stated above.

On your desktop, hold the windows key and press R > the run box will
open > type cleanmgr > hit enter > there will be an option or a tab to
clean up old back-ups for system recovery and keep only the most recent.
Use that option.

--
CrucialHoax