System Restore Will Not Restore

Mike

System Restore Will Not Restore
I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if
anyone here has an answer.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

whs

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore

That is a classic. Happens to me all the time - in Vista and Win7.
That's why I am making frequent images now (with Macrium on Win7 and
with Norton Ghost on Vista) and restore my system from there. I think is
is some program we have on our systems that does not like to be
restored. I know Norton is one of them, but I also use MSE. So it must
be another one.
Maybe you remember what program you installed shortly before it began
to go on the blink. I don't because I install and uninstall programs all
the time.

--
whs
DL

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
Theres no point in using system restore on your recovery partition, since
you should not be writing anything to the recovery partition

"Mike" <mail.MikeWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if
> anyone here has an answer.
>
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

Mike

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
I use Macrium Reflect. They came out with a new release about a month ago.
I use image backups. Wonder if the update could have cause a problem. Other
than that, I have reviewed all of my installations and can't see where any
caused the problem.

> I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if
> anyone here has an answer.
>
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

Dave T.

Mike wrote:
> I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder
> if anyone here has an answer.
>
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

Mike, do you have, or have you had, more than one backup program
installed even if they were all disabled but one? VSS problems will
sometimes occur if true. A problem similar to yours (not identical)
happened to me and uninstalling unused back up routines cured it.

Dave T.
Mike

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
The only backup programs I've had are Windows Backup (comes built in to
Vista) and Macrium Reflect. I use Macrium Reflect to make images of my C:
drive.
I don't use Windows Backup which I believe doesn't use VSS. I updated
Macrium with a new release recently. I contacted them and they said there
program does not use Shadow Storage, VSS or COM+

Thanks for the observation, Dave T.
"Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote in message
> Mike wrote:
>> I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder
>> if anyone here has an answer.
>>
>> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

> Mike, do you have, or have you had, more than one backup program installed
> even if they were all disabled but one? VSS problems will sometimes occur
> if true. A problem similar to yours (not identical) happened to me and
> uninstalling unused back up routines cured it.
>
> Dave T.

Mike

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
I've checked program additions and everything I can think of. Tested
restoring in safe mode and it goes through the effort but comes back with
cannot restore, choose another restore point message.

I use Macrium too, but grrrr at the thought of having to use the emergency
restore disk and to have to restore the entire system.

Mike;1208508 Wrote:
> I've checked program additions and everything I can think of. Tested
> restoring in safe mode and it goes through the effort but comes back
> with
> cannot restore, choose another restore point message.
>
> I use Macrium too, but grrrr at the thought of having to use the
> emergency
> restore disk and to have to restore the entire system.
>

> "whs" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:b66a1810ed311242ca01b1d23e138bde@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > That is a classic. Happens to me all the time - in Vista and Win7.
> > > That's why I am making frequent images now (with Macrium on Win7 and
> > > with Norton Ghost on Vista) and restore my system from there. I think

> > is
> > > is some program we have on our systems that does not like to be
> > > restored. I know Norton is one of them, but I also use MSE. So it

> > must
> > > be another one.
> > > Maybe you remember what program you installed shortly before it began
> > > to go on the blink. I don't because I install and uninstall programs

> > all
> > > the time.
> > >

> > > --
> > > whs > >

Restoring the entire system with Macrium is absolutely no problem. I
have done that already several times - some for test, some for real.
Worked beautifully. And the recovery user interface is really easy too.
There is hardly anything you can do wrong. The fastest recovery (of a
Win7 system) was 12 minutes - from an internal HDD to a SSD. From an
external USB attached disk, it would take longer.

Make a test with a non-critical partition. If you have no extra
partition, shrink a few Gigs from your C and create an extra partition.
Then copy some data into there. Take an image of that little partition
and restore it again. You'll see how it works and it will raise your
confidence. When you are done, you can always delete the little extra
partition and add it back to C.

--
whs
Mike

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
I've narrowed it down to a missing SHADOW COPY OPTIMIZATION WRITER in VSS.
Does Anyone know how to get it back? Vista Home Premium SP2

"Mike" <mail.MikeWilson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've posted vast detail about this problem at the link below. I wonder if
> anyone here has an answer.
>
> http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vi...t-restore.html

Miles

Re: System Restore Will Not Restore
Norton's self preservation setting can cause this error message.
If you have Norton, you need to turn off that option in order
to run system restore.
****