Service Pack 1 Update problem...

Atreyu

Service Pack 1 Update problem...
I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to Windows
7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma:

I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and after a
fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system. It
clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update History.
[Additionally, Service Pack 2 is not offered as a download, but the rest of
my query, please.]

HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START > right click COMPUTER,
at the top of that resulting page and beneath my version of Vista it should
show "Service Pack 1." In my case, it does not!

FURTHER, I downloaded and ran Windows 7 Update Advisor, the results show I
need to download and install Service Pack 1.

I'm aware that I can download. or order on CD, each of the Service Packs and
install, starting with Service Pack 1 before attempting to install Service
Pack 2.

My question is: Why does Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows Update
History, but does NOT seem to be installed according to the two other
instances/sources I've mentioned above?

TIA to all who can shed light on my quandry.

Rick Rogers

Re: Service Pack 1 Update problem...
Hi,

Frankly, if you're going to upgrade to Win7 it doesn't matter what the
service pack level is nor does it matter whether or not you install them.

If you click start, type winver and hit <enter>, what does this show?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Atreyu" <NOYB@noyb.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to Windows
>7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma:
>
> I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and after
> a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system. It
> clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update
> History. [Additionally, Service Pack 2 is not offered as a download, but
> the rest of my query, please.]
>
> HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START > right click
> COMPUTER, at the top of that resulting page and beneath my version of
> Vista it should show "Service Pack 1." In my case, it does not!
>
> FURTHER, I downloaded and ran Windows 7 Update Advisor, the results show I
> need to download and install Service Pack 1.
>
> I'm aware that I can download. or order on CD, each of the Service Packs
> and install, starting with Service Pack 1 before attempting to install
> Service Pack 2.
>
> My question is: Why does Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows
> Update History, but does NOT seem to be installed according to the two
> other instances/sources I've mentioned above?
>
> TIA to all who can shed light on my quandry.

Atreyu

Re: Service Pack 1 Update problem...
Hi Rick:

It shows I have Version 6.0 (Build 6000) with a 2006 copyright date by
Microsoft.

By the way, I realize I could do a clean install (I think that's the
terminology), but I wanted to perform an upgrade to Win7.

However, apart from that, my question remains the same as before: Why does
Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows Update History, but not
elsewhere using the various methods of determining its installation,
including the method you just had me perform.

Can you help me understand this? (I suppose I shouldn't have muddled my
question with reference to possible plans to upgrade to Win7). I haven't
been able to find anything anywhere that settles this. I've Googled and
read till I'm cross-eyed.

Many thanks for your time, Rick.

> Hi,
>
> Frankly, if you're going to upgrade to Win7 it doesn't matter what the
> service pack level is nor does it matter whether or not you install them.
>
> If you click start, type winver and hit <enter>, what does this show?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Atreyu" <NOYB@noyb.com> wrote in message
>>I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to
>>Windows 7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma:
>>
>> I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and
>> after a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my system.
>> It clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows Update
>> History. [Additionally, Service Pack 2 is not offered as a download, but
>> the rest of my query, please.]
>>
>> HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START > right click
>> COMPUTER, at the top of that resulting page and beneath my version of
>> Vista it should show "Service Pack 1." In my case, it does not!
>>
>> FURTHER, I downloaded and ran Windows 7 Update Advisor, the results show
>> I need to download and install Service Pack 1.
>>
>> I'm aware that I can download. or order on CD, each of the Service Packs
>> and install, starting with Service Pack 1 before attempting to install
>> Service Pack 2.
>>
>> My question is: Why does Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows
>> Update History, but does NOT seem to be installed according to the two
>> other instances/sources I've mentioned above?
>>
>> TIA to all who can shed light on my quandry.

Rick Rogers

Re: Service Pack 1 Update problem...
Hi,

It's not installed. Installing the service pack replaces many system files,
including the one that includes the version information (it would show the
build to be 6001). This file has not been replaced, so the service pack
could not have successfully or fully installed. Why Windows Update is
detecting it incorrectly, I am not sure. At this point, if you really want
to just install the service pack, just hit SP2 from the stand-alone
download.

You don't need the service packs installed (either of them) to do an upgrade
to Win7. There would be no point as the upgrade completely replaces the
system file set regardless of service pack level. If your intent is to
install Win7 as an upgrade, just skip the service packs and do it.

--

> Hi Rick:
>
> It shows I have Version 6.0 (Build 6000) with a 2006 copyright date by
> Microsoft.
>
> By the way, I realize I could do a clean install (I think that's the
> terminology), but I wanted to perform an upgrade to Win7.
>
> However, apart from that, my question remains the same as before: Why
> does Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows Update History, but not
> elsewhere using the various methods of determining its installation,
> including the method you just had me perform.
>
> Can you help me understand this? (I suppose I shouldn't have muddled my
> question with reference to possible plans to upgrade to Win7). I haven't
> been able to find anything anywhere that settles this. I've Googled and
> read till I'm cross-eyed.
>
> Many thanks for your time, Rick.

>> Hi,
>>
>> Frankly, if you're going to upgrade to Win7 it doesn't matter what the
>> service pack level is nor does it matter whether or not you install them.
>>
>> If you click start, type winver and hit <enter>, what does this show?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Atreyu" <NOYB@noyb.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit OS. I possibly want to upgrade to
>>>Windows 7 equivalent. Here's my dilemma:
>>>
>>> I installed Service Pack 1 via Windows website download manager, and
>>> after a fashion, it appeared to have installed and it rebooted my
>>> system. It clearly shows as having been installed according to Windows
>>> Update History. [Additionally, Service Pack 2 is not offered as a
>>> download, but the rest of my query, please.]
>>>
>>> HOWEVER, according to Microsoft, when I click START > right click
>>> COMPUTER, at the top of that resulting page and beneath my version of
>>> Vista it should show "Service Pack 1." In my case, it does not!
>>>
>>> FURTHER, I downloaded and ran Windows 7 Update Advisor, the results show
>>> I need to download and install Service Pack 1.
>>>
>>> I'm aware that I can download. or order on CD, each of the Service Packs
>>> and install, starting with Service Pack 1 before attempting to install
>>> Service Pack 2.
>>>
>>> My question is: Why does Service Pack 1 show as installed in Windows
>>> Update History, but does NOT seem to be installed according to the two
>>> other instances/sources I've mentioned above?
>>>
>>> TIA to all who can shed light on my quandry.

Atreyu

Re: Service Pack 1 Update problem...
Thank you SO much, Rick. I truly appreciate you time, explanation and
advice.