Speed of Vista

Hedy Keller

Speed of Vista
Hi everybody,

now I have installed additional 1024 MB of RAM to my former 512 MB, so I now
have 1.5 GB RAM.
But the result is disappointing: starting any applications (Excel, Word,
Mail) does not show to be faster than before.

Here my performance data:

Processor: 3.6
RAM: 4.4
Grafik 1: 2.4
Grafik 2: 3.6
HDD: 3.9

What could I do to improve the system? Since it is a Notebook, I cannot
change the grafic device.

Thank you in advance
Hedy

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Speed of Vista
Couple of questions for you. Which laptop do you have? Which CPU? Did it
come preloaded with Vista? If so, have you uninstalled all the junkware they
included? Have you done any tweaking with TweakVI or Microsoft's Autoruns?
What are you using for antivirus?

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Hedy Keller" <hedyhiereinpunktkeller@arcorhiernix.de> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> now I have installed additional 1024 MB of RAM to my former 512 MB, so I
> now have 1.5 GB RAM.
> But the result is disappointing: starting any applications (Excel, Word,
> Mail) does not show to be faster than before.
>
> Here my performance data:
>
> Processor: 3.6
> RAM: 4.4
> Grafik 1: 2.4
> Grafik 2: 3.6
> HDD: 3.9
>
> What could I do to improve the system? Since it is a Notebook, I cannot
> change the grafic device.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Hedy

Hedy Keller

AW: Speed of Vista

"> Couple of questions for you. Which laptop do you have? Which CPU? Did it
> come preloaded with Vista? If so, have you uninstalled all the junkware
> they included? Have you done any tweaking with TweakVI or Microsoft's
> Autoruns? What are you using for antivirus?

My Laptop is a LG LS70.

The CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz

No, it came with Windows XP prof. The dealer said: "... not designed for
Vista". But "MS Upgrade advisor" delivered the result: good for Vista
Business. I have home premium installed.

Any junkware is not installed.

No tweaking.

I use "AntiVir" as antivirus-software. (By Avira). This brings much less
load to the machine than avast, Kaspersky, avg, ... and is very well
accepted here in Germany.

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Speed of Vista
OK, more questions then. Did you upgrade to Vista, or do a fresh install and
reload all your applications? That would certainly help make it faster, as
would the previously-mentioned Autoruns or TweakVI. If you have an SD card
slot and a spare 2Gb SD card, you can use that with ReadyBoost to speed it
up some. Otherwise, with a Pentium M 1.73Ghz, you probably shouldn't expect
too much. Generally most things will be slower than on XP...

> "> Couple of questions for you. Which laptop do you have? Which CPU? Did
> it
>> come preloaded with Vista? If so, have you uninstalled all the junkware
>> they included? Have you done any tweaking with TweakVI or Microsoft's
>> Autoruns? What are you using for antivirus?

> My Laptop is a LG LS70.
>
> The CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz
>
> No, it came with Windows XP prof. The dealer said: "... not designed for
> Vista". But "MS Upgrade advisor" delivered the result: good for Vista
> Business. I have home premium installed.
>
> Any junkware is not installed.
>
> No tweaking.
>
> I use "AntiVir" as antivirus-software. (By Avira). This brings much less
> load to the machine than avast, Kaspersky, avg, ... and is very well
> accepted here in Germany.

Scissor

Re: Speed of Vista

I am running Vista on a ThinkPad T43 with 1.5 GB of RAM (1.8 GHz
processor). I would say it feels maybe 10% slower than XP, but it is
still very usable and the new Vista features more than make up for the
performance hit. (Note that I am running the 32 bit version of Vista on
my laptop)

Maybe try adjusting the power plan (Control Panel -> System Maintenance
-> Power Options -> Select a power plan)?

Also realize that if you are trying to start large applications like
Word or Outlook shortly after booting that Vista will not have had time
to cache anything into RAM so you will not notice much of a speed
increase than before.

The additional memory will allow you to keep more programs open at the
same time without having to swap to disk and Vista will use the extra
memory to cache your software after it learns your typical usage
patterns.

See if you can get used to the habit of putting your laptop to Sleep
instead of Shutting Down at the end of the day. That will allow Vista
to keep your software cached in all that lovely RAM so you don't have to
wait on the slow hard drive.

--
Scissor
Hedy Keller

AW: Speed of Vista
> OK, more questions then. Did you upgrade to Vista, or do a fresh install
> and reload all your applications? That would certainly help make it
> faster, as would the previously-mentioned Autoruns or TweakVI.

It's a fresh install.

> If you have an SD card slot and a spare 2Gb SD card, you can use that
> with ReadyBoost to speed it up some.

I tried ReadyBoost with a 1 GB-USB-stick when I had only 512 MB of RAM and
this really accelerated everything. Then, I expected to achieve significant
performance increase with the additional 1 GB RAM (not using ReadyBoost).
And I didn't like the stick beeing in my laptop all the time.

But yes, I have an SD-slot and I shall buy an appropriate SD-card.
What size do you recommend? Is 2 GB sufficient (with 1.5 GB RAM) or would 4
GB be better?

> Otherwise, with a Pentium M 1.73Ghz, you probably shouldn't expect too
> much. Generally most things will be slower than on XP...

Okay, I accept that.
I also agree with Scissor (see next posting) to accept a lower speed but to
have the benefits of Vista.

Thanks + greetings

Hedy Keller

> Dana Cline - MCE MVP

Scissor

Re: Speed of Vista

Hedy Keller;302049 Wrote:

> > If you have an SD card slot and a spare 2Gb SD card, you can use that
> > with ReadyBoost to speed it up some.

> I tried ReadyBoost with a 1 GB-USB-stick when I had only 512 MB of RAM
> and this really accelerated everything. Then, I expected to achieve
> significant performance increase with the additional 1 GB RAM (not using
> ReadyBoost). And I didn't like the stick beeing in my laptop all the
> time.
>
> But yes, I have an SD-slot and I shall buy an appropriate SD-card.
> What size do you recommend? Is 2 GB sufficient (with 1.5 GB RAM) or
> would 4 GB be better?

4 GB is the maximum that ReadyBoost will use. I have a USB hub plugged
into my laptop's docking station and just plugged a USB stick into a
spare port on the USB hub. That way I can at least take advantage of
ReadyBoost when I am docked.

From what I understand, ReadyBoost makes the most difference on
machines with low amounts of memory. You may not notice much of a
difference now that you have 1.5 GB of RAM.

--
Scissor
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Speed of Vista
I've heard that if you have 2Gb of RAM, you won't notice the effects of
ReadyBoost, but you will if you have less. I guess it's worth a try if you
have the SD slot and don't use it much for anything else. I'd get a 2Gb just
because they're cheap. Visit newegg.com and search for "2gb SD" and you'll
find a bunch. Look for one with a speed of 150x - should be several under
$25.

My laptop is pretty fast, and has 2Gb RAM, so I'm not sure I will do this
soon, but probably will eventually...

More info at www.MediaCenterStuff.com in the Vista and Software topics...

>> OK, more questions then. Did you upgrade to Vista, or do a fresh install
>> and reload all your applications? That would certainly help make it
>> faster, as would the previously-mentioned Autoruns or TweakVI.

> It's a fresh install.
>
>> If you have an SD card slot and a spare 2Gb SD card, you can use that
>> with ReadyBoost to speed it up some.

> I tried ReadyBoost with a 1 GB-USB-stick when I had only 512 MB of RAM and
> this really accelerated everything. Then, I expected to achieve
> significant performance increase with the additional 1 GB RAM (not using
> ReadyBoost). And I didn't like the stick beeing in my laptop all the time.
>
> But yes, I have an SD-slot and I shall buy an appropriate SD-card.
> What size do you recommend? Is 2 GB sufficient (with 1.5 GB RAM) or would
> 4 GB be better?
>
>> Otherwise, with a Pentium M 1.73Ghz, you probably shouldn't expect too
>> much. Generally most things will be slower than on XP...

> Okay, I accept that.
> I also agree with Scissor (see next posting) to accept a lower speed but
> to have the benefits of Vista.
>

> Thanks + greetings
>
> Hedy Keller
>

>> Dana Cline - MCE MVP

Milhouse Van Houten

Re: Speed of Vista
I thought upgrades were handled differently in Vista so that it would be a
non-issue. Isn't an "upgrade" now really a clean install with the user's
programs then glommed on top of that? That's very different from the
XP-and-before days, where you inherited everything that came before,
including a Windows itself that may be sagging under its own weight with
years of use.

"Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
> OK, more questions then. Did you upgrade to Vista, or do a fresh install
> and reload all your applications? That would certainly help make it
> faster, as would the previously-mentioned Autoruns or TweakVI. If you have
> an SD card slot and a spare 2Gb SD card, you can use that with ReadyBoost
> to speed it up some. Otherwise, with a Pentium M 1.73Ghz, you probably
> shouldn't expect too much. Generally most things will be slower than on
> XP...
>
> Dana Cline - MCE MVP
>
> "Hedy Keller" <hedyhiereinpunktkeller@arcorhiernix.de> wrote in message
>>
>> "> Couple of questions for you. Which laptop do you have? Which CPU? Did
>> it
>>> come preloaded with Vista? If so, have you uninstalled all the junkware
>>> they included? Have you done any tweaking with TweakVI or Microsoft's
>>> Autoruns? What are you using for antivirus?

>> My Laptop is a LG LS70.
>>
>> The CPU is a Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHz
>>
>> No, it came with Windows XP prof. The dealer said: "... not designed for
>> Vista". But "MS Upgrade advisor" delivered the result: good for Vista
>> Business. I have home premium installed.
>>
>> Any junkware is not installed.
>>
>> No tweaking.
>>
>> I use "AntiVir" as antivirus-software. (By Avira). This brings much less
>> load to the machine than avast, Kaspersky, avg, ... and is very well
>> accepted here in Germany.

Jim

Re: Speed of Vista
Hedy Keller wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> now I have installed additional 1024 MB of RAM to my former 512 MB, so I
> now have 1.5 GB RAM.
> But the result is disappointing: starting any applications (Excel, Word,
> Mail) does not show to be faster than before.

Don't know how you measure system performance. If you just look at app
start up time, you won't see much improvement by adding RAM. The hard
drive is always going to be the slowest link whether you have a laptop
or desktop. However, the system should be "more responsive" as you use
the apps because of the added RAM.

BTW, if you have 2 identical or very similar sticks of 512MB ram or 2
sticks of 1GB, the system may be able to run dual-channel on the RAM.
One 512MB and one GB will prevent the system to go into dual channel mode.