Cannot charge my laptop

linjes

Cannot charge my laptop

(dun flame i really dunno where to post this to..)

- Hello.. I am using a toshiba satalite laptop, model no L310-s414.
Its os is vista home basic 32bit.
- 1 or 2 weeks ago i was using the laptop when sudenly the screen
suddenly became darker, indicating that the power from the wall point
had been lost.. i tried reconnecting it but the power light would come
on followed by the battery charging light then both would turn off
after 1 or 2 secs. i changed wall points but the same thing would
happen.. After a few tries the laptop could charge..
- However the prob came back after 3 days. but this time i could not
charge it at all. the power light would flash on and off at that time
i had 5 percent batt. I hibernated the laptop (oh ya i had this habit
of hibernating the laptop) and went out..
- Next day i tried again. same thing happened. But when i turned the
laptop on with tt little bit of batt, and deleted the restoration
data. i tried plugging in the cable and then VOILA it started
charging.
- Then today(tt was monday, today is friday) the laptop cannot charge
again. The power light would turn on then off.
- I went to find bios update(i am very sure it is not a prob with the
cable as it could work from mon till ystd) and there were none.
- I went to the Device manager and tried disabling and re-enabling
the Microsoft AC Adapter thing but it didn't work.
- The laptop has abt 20% now. i do not intend to switch it on unless
absolutely necessary.

The laptop was bought in singapore with 1 year international warranty
in march 2009 and 2 yrs local warranty aft that. However, i am in
livorno, italy for 2 yrs and the nearest repair center is 4 hrs away.
And my dad won't drive 4 hrs down to go fix the laptop. (i won't too)
does anyone have any way to fix it? thanks in advance

--
linjes
Bruce Chambers

Re: Cannot charge my laptop
linjes wrote:
> (dun flame i really dunno where to post this to..)
>
> - Hello.. I am using a toshiba satalite laptop, model no L310-s414.
> Its os is vista home basic 32bit.
> - 1 or 2 weeks ago i was using the laptop when sudenly the screen
> suddenly became darker, indicating that the power from the wall point
> had been lost.. i tried reconnecting it but the power light would come
> on followed by the battery charging light then both would turn off
> after 1 or 2 secs. i changed wall points but the same thing would
> happen.. After a few tries the laptop could charge..
> - However the prob came back after 3 days. but this time i could not
> charge it at all. the power light would flash on and off at that time
> i had 5 percent batt. I hibernated the laptop (oh ya i had this habit
> of hibernating the laptop) and went out..
> - Next day i tried again. same thing happened. But when i turned the
> laptop on with tt little bit of batt, and deleted the restoration
> data. i tried plugging in the cable and then VOILA it started
> charging.
> - Then today(tt was monday, today is friday) the laptop cannot charge
> again. The power light would turn on then off.
> - I went to find bios update(i am very sure it is not a prob with the
> cable as it could work from mon till ystd) and there were none.
> - I went to the Device manager and tried disabling and re-enabling
> the Microsoft AC Adapter thing but it didn't work.
> - The laptop has abt 20% now. i do not intend to switch it on unless
> absolutely necessary.
>
> The laptop was bought in singapore with 1 year international warranty
> in march 2009 and 2 yrs local warranty aft that. However, i am in
> livorno, italy for 2 yrs and the nearest repair center is 4 hrs away.
> And my dad won't drive 4 hrs down to go fix the laptop. (i won't too)
> does anyone have any way to fix it? thanks in advance

You've a hardware failure. Your only option is to get the hardware
repaired/replaced. Fortunately, you still have warranty coverage.
Contact the warranty support folks and make arrangements to have to
laptop shipped to the nearest repair facility. Be sure to remove the
hard drive before sending it off; it won't be needed to affect the
repairs to the laptop's power supply, and the repair facility has no
need to see your personal data.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Chuck

Re: Cannot charge my laptop
It sure sounds like a hardware failure. The laptop battery may also be bad.
Some laptop mfrs have a short warranty on the battery, and a longer one for
the rest of the laptop.
The user should check to make sure that the OEM repair operation will repair
the laptop without the hard drive.
Some will, some will not.

A big concern is that some laptop Mfrs will void the warranty if the laptop
is opened up by the user, or an unauthorized repair shop.
It's usually preferable to do a full backup (However it gets done) Restore
the ops system as it was sold, and then send the laptop in for repair.
More often than not, it will come back in this condition, even if the user
left all as it was before the laptop was sent in for repair.