Won't read CDs, occasionally

Tadukas

Won't read CDs, occasionally

I have a Toshiba Satellite U405-S2856 with Vista Home Premium 32bit.
It's not even a year old and I've already begun having several problems
with it... One of the most annoying is this: I pop in my Age of Empires
3 CD, run the game, and it tells me "Please insert AoE3 Disk 1", even
though it's already in. Several times I've tried to restart my laptop
following that message, and when it begins starting up again, it stalls.
If I pop out the disk, it continues to start up, and at that time I pop
the disk back in; that is the only way I can get it (the game) to run
(by pushing it in during the end of startup). If I exit the game, I
can't load it up again because it keeps giving me the 'Please insert
disk' error. I haven't tried it with any other CDs yet, but it seems
highly unlikely that it's a problem with the CD since I can get it to
run through that obscure way.

I've tried deleting the 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' entries in
the Registry like I found out you have to do when the drive itself
disappears (which has happened to me before as well) and I've also
updated the BIOS, not sure if I did it correctly though.

Any ideas?

--
Tadukas
SC Tom

Re: Won't read CDs, occasionally

"Tadukas" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have a Toshiba Satellite U405-S2856 with Vista Home Premium 32bit.
> It's not even a year old and I've already begun having several problems
> with it... One of the most annoying is this: I pop in my Age of Empires
> 3 CD, run the game, and it tells me "Please insert AoE3 Disk 1", even
> though it's already in. Several times I've tried to restart my laptop
> following that message, and when it begins starting up again, it stalls.
> If I pop out the disk, it continues to start up, and at that time I pop
> the disk back in; that is the only way I can get it (the game) to run
> (by pushing it in during the end of startup). If I exit the game, I
> can't load it up again because it keeps giving me the 'Please insert
> disk' error. I haven't tried it with any other CDs yet, but it seems
> highly unlikely that it's a problem with the CD since I can get it to
> run through that obscure way.
>
> I've tried deleting the 'UpperFilters' and 'LowerFilters' entries in
> the Registry like I found out you have to do when the drive itself
> disappears (which has happened to me before as well) and I've also
> updated the BIOS, not sure if I did it correctly though.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> Tadukas

Possibly a bad drive? If it's still under warranty, contact Toshiba and see
what they have to say.
If you have the Label Flash program installed, you could try uninstalling
it- I had DVD problems on my Gateway that were centered around it. Once I
got rid of it (the program, that is), the problems went away.
--
SC Tom