Network Icon Missing

Paul Calcagno

Network Icon Missing
I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of RAM.
All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security Suite
software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software, CCleaner
and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
Firefox for browsing.

I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility Service
sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but
the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.

Is there anyway to recover this icon? I looked in `services.msc' to see if
I could restart it but it wasn't listed.

Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing
I forgot to mention that I have no problems connecting to the internet even
though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm connected
properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor. Paul c.

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
> RAM. All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
> Suite software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
> CCleaner and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and
> Windows firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I
> use Firefox for browsing.
>
> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
> Service sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network
> icon in the Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek
> HD Audio Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these
> but wasn't successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon
> came back, but the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another
> restart after a power failure and this time the same Network icon was
> missing.
>
> Is there anyway to recover this icon? I looked in `services.msc' to see
> if I could restart it but it wasn't listed.
>
> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Questor

Re: Network Icon Missing
That happens occasionally to me, especially after a MS update. What
usually brings it back for me is to log off (not reboot) and log back in
again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Properties for the taskbar
(Right-click on it and choose Properties). Then look at the
"Notification" tab and see if the network icon is "checkable".

Questor

--->
> I forgot to mention that I have no problems connecting to the internet
> even though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
> connected properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
> Paul c.
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
>> RAM. All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates)
>> Security Suite software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM
>> malware software, CCleaner and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use
>> Windows defender and Windows firewall. As far as I know I have no
>> Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use Firefox for browsing.
>>
>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
>> Service sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network
>> icon in the Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my
>> Realtek HD Audio Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried
>> re-establishing these but wasn't successful. Then I tried another
>> reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but the Network icon is still
>> missing. I had to do another restart after a power failure and this
>> time the same Network icon was missing.
>>
>> Is there anyway to recover this icon? I looked in `services.msc' to
>> see if I could restart it but it wasn't listed.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing
Questor. Thanks for your quick reply. Before I try your `logoff' idea can
you tell me the difference between a logoff and a restart. I'm asking
because my Vista computer takes forever to reboot and I avoid reboots if I
can.

In Properties in taskbar, the network icon is greyed out.

I googled this issue and came up with what appears to be a good fix but it
involves making registry changes and I'm NOT going to do that as long as
this machine is working fine.

Paul C.

"Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
> That happens occasionally to me, especially after a MS update. What
> usually brings it back for me is to log off (not reboot) and log back in
> again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Properties for the taskbar
> (Right-click on it and choose Properties). Then look at the "Notification"
> tab and see if the network icon is "checkable".
>
> Questor
>
> --->
>> I forgot to mention that I have no problems connecting to the internet
>> even though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
>> connected properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>> Paul c.
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
>>> RAM. All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates)
>>> Security Suite software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware
>>> software, CCleaner and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows
>>> defender and Windows firewall. As far as I know I have no
>>> Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use Firefox for browsing.
>>>
>>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
>>> Service sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network
>>> icon in the Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my
>>> Realtek HD Audio Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried
>>> re-establishing these but wasn't successful. Then I tried another reboot
>>> and the Realtek icon came back, but the Network icon is still missing.
>>> I had to do another restart after a power failure and this time the same
>>> Network icon was missing.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to recover this icon? I looked in `services.msc' to
>>> see if I could restart it but it wasn't listed.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Questor

Re: Network Icon Missing
A reboot takes your machine all the way back to a warm restart. You see
the machine reset and it starts up again.

A logoff is just a simple process that logs you off as a user and then
you can log right back on. If you are the only use on the machine,
logging off simply logs you back on. It is NOT a reboot. Go to the
Start orb and click the mouse. There will appear a right arrow (->) on
the lower left. Hover of it and a context menu pops up. Choose 'log
off' and let it log you out. Then you can log back on again,

This will sometimes reset any 'wierdness' that accompanies a MS update.

Questor

--->
> Questor. Thanks for your quick reply. Before I try your `logoff' idea
> can you tell me the difference between a logoff and a restart. I'm
> asking because my Vista computer takes forever to reboot and I avoid
> reboots if I can.
>
> In Properties in taskbar, the network icon is greyed out.
>
> I googled this issue and came up with what appears to be a good fix but
> it involves making registry changes and I'm NOT going to do that as long
> as this machine is working fine.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>> That happens occasionally to me, especially after a MS update. What
>> usually brings it back for me is to log off (not reboot) and log back
>> in again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Properties for the
>> taskbar (Right-click on it and choose Properties). Then look at the
>> "Notification" tab and see if the network icon is "checkable".
>>
>> Questor
>>
>> --->
>>> I forgot to mention that I have no problems connecting to the
>>> internet even though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is
>>> there (if I'm connected properly) it has a little blue screen on the
>>> icon monitor. Paul c.

Questor

Re: Network Icon Missing
I am leaving for some shopping, but will be back in a bit.

--->
> Questor. Thanks for your quick reply. Before I try your `logoff' idea
> can you tell me the difference between a logoff and a restart. I'm
> asking because my Vista computer takes forever to reboot and I avoid
> reboots if I can.
>
> In Properties in taskbar, the network icon is greyed out.
>
> I googled this issue and came up with what appears to be a good fix but
> it involves making registry changes and I'm NOT going to do that as long
> as this machine is working fine.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>> That happens occasionally to me, especially after a MS update. What
>> usually brings it back for me is to log off (not reboot) and log back
>> in again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Properties for the
>> taskbar (Right-click on it and choose Properties). Then look at the
>> "Notification" tab and see if the network icon is "checkable".
>>
>> Questor
>>
>> --->
>>> I forgot to mention that I have no problems connecting to the
>>> internet even though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is
>>> there (if I'm connected properly) it has a little blue screen on the
>>> icon monitor. Paul c.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing
Questor.
Thanks for you explanation about logging off. I tried it and I was able to
log back on but the Network icon is still missing. Any other ideas.

> A reboot takes your machine all the way back to a warm restart. You see
> the machine reset and it starts up again.
>
> A logoff is just a simple process that logs you off as a user and then you
> can log right back on. If you are the only use on the machine, logging
> off simply logs you back on. It is NOT a reboot. Go to the Start orb and
> click the mouse. There will appear a right arrow (->) on the lower left.
> Hover of it and a context menu pops up. Choose 'log off' and let it log
> you out. Then you can log back on again,
>
> This will sometimes reset any 'wierdness' that accompanies a MS update.
>
> Questor
>
> --->
>> Questor. Thanks for your quick reply. Before I try your `logoff' idea
>> can you tell me the difference between a logoff and a restart. I'm
>> asking because my Vista computer takes forever to reboot and I avoid
>> reboots if I can.
>>
>> In Properties in taskbar, the network icon is greyed out.
>>
>> I googled this issue and came up with what appears to be a good fix but
>> it involves making registry changes and I'm NOT going to do that as long
>> as this machine is working fine.
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>>> That happens occasionally to me, especially after a MS update. What
>>> usually brings it back for me is to log off (not reboot) and log back in
>>> again. If that doesn't work, try opening the Properties for the taskbar
>>> (Right-click on it and choose Properties). Then look at the
>>> "Notification" tab and see if the network icon is "checkable".
>>>
>>> Questor
>>>
>>> --->

Questor

Re: Network Icon Missing
I'm back. The only alternative I can suggest is a reboot OR the
registry hack you found.

I have a feeling that just normal rebooting over time will bring it
back. The next set of updates that come along which require a reboot
will probably bring back you icon. Since your network/web access isn't
affected, it really isn't a "problem" but an annoyance (which I agree it
is when it happens).

I've simply ignored it and once in a while I will check taskbar
properties and suddenly the checkbox is 'un-greyed' again. Very mysterious.

Questor

--->
> Questor.
> Thanks for you explanation about logging off. I tried it and I was able
> to log back on but the Network icon is still missing. Any other ideas.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>> A reboot takes your machine all the way back to a warm restart. You
>> see the machine reset and it starts up again.
>>
>> A logoff is just a simple process that logs you off as a user and then
>> you can log right back on. If you are the only use on the machine,
>> logging off simply logs you back on. It is NOT a reboot. Go to the
>> Start orb and click the mouse. There will appear a right arrow (->)
>> on the lower left. Hover of it and a context menu pops up. Choose
>> 'log off' and let it log you out. Then you can log back on again,
>>
>> This will sometimes reset any 'wierdness' that accompanies a MS update.
>>
>> Questor
>>
>> --->
>>> Questor. Thanks for your quick reply. Before I try your `logoff'
>>> idea can you tell me the difference between a logoff and a restart.
>>> I'm asking because my Vista computer takes forever to reboot and I
>>> avoid reboots if I can.
>>>
>>> In Properties in taskbar, the network icon is greyed out.
>>>
>>> I googled this issue and came up with what appears to be a good fix
>>> but it involves making registry changes and I'm NOT going to do that
>>> as long as this machine is working fine.
>>>
>>> Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing - It Fixed Itself!!
Questor

You're not going to believe this but I did nothing except go out tonight for
a couple of hours, and when I came back a minute ago I checked the
Notification section of the taskbar and lo and behold the Network icon
checkbox was no longer greyed out. I checked it and the icon came back. Very
mysterious.

So, I guess the moral of the story for others to internalize is if your
Notification icons disappear just wait a day or so and they'll come back!!!

Thanks so much for your help. Merry Christmas and Happy New
Year...................Paul C.

> I'm back. The only alternative I can suggest is a reboot OR the registry
> hack you found.
>
> I have a feeling that just normal rebooting over time will bring it back.
> The next set of updates that come along which require a reboot will
> probably bring back you icon. Since your network/web access isn't
> affected, it really isn't a "problem" but an annoyance (which I agree it
> is when it happens).
>
> I've simply ignored it and once in a while I will check taskbar properties
> and suddenly the checkbox is 'un-greyed' again. Very mysterious.
>
> Questor
>
> --->
>> Questor.
>> Thanks for you explanation about logging off. I tried it and I was able
>> to log back on but the Network icon is still missing. Any other ideas.
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> "Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
>>> A reboot takes your machine all the way back to a warm restart. You see
>>> the machine reset and it starts up again.
>>>
>>> A logoff is just a simple process that logs you off as a user and then
>>> you can log right back on. If you are the only use on the machine,
>>> logging off simply logs you back on. It is NOT a reboot. Go to the
>>> Start orb and click the mouse. There will appear a right arrow (->) on
>>> the lower left. Hover of it and a context menu pops up. Choose 'log
>>> off' and let it log you out. Then you can log back on again,
>>>
>>> This will sometimes reset any 'wierdness' that accompanies a MS update.
>>>
>>> Questor
>>>
>>> --->

Questor

Re: Network Icon Missing - It Fixed Itself!!
I definitely believe it. The same has happened to me. Some sort of
housekeeping routine buried down in the operating system finally said to
itself "hey - I should be displaying the checkbox for his network" and
then doing it.

Happy Holidays to you too Paul.

Questor

--->