CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!

malfrus

CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!

Dear all,

I've enjoyed my dell XPS M1330 laptop for over two years now. Never had
any significant trouble with it...until now. It has Vista home premium
32 bit and 4GB of ram.

Last week on friday I left my laptop on the whole night (it's something
I did before and found no hassles the next morning) with plenty of air
circulation where it was located. The next morning the laptop began
unexpectedly running very slow, hanging and it even crashed on me. I
always start the task manager when turning the laptop on and found that
no file was using much memory or resources (windows explorer at 32 MB i
think). But the CPU was running at 100% and the memory at 3.36GB.

I became so frustrated with the damn laptop that i just removed the
plug cable until I had more time.

It's been a week of looking for myself what the hell happened. It
starts fine, taking about two minutes to boot and then...CPU 100%, and
memmory climbs till its 3.36 GB. Before the computer becomes very slow I
had the chance to open Windows Update page, I did mention that is has
NEVER been updated, and I regularly update Vista. I've read somewhere
else that it's a bad thing to update Vista...

I don't know what to do...feeling really sad. If anyone knows what
might have happened I will be deeply greatfull for anyone who knows any
tips or info.

Thanks in advance for any help!
malfrus

--
malfrus
f/fgeorge

Re: CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:25:23 -0600, malfrus <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I've enjoyed my dell XPS M1330 laptop for over two years now. Never had
>any significant trouble with it...until now. It has Vista home premium
>32 bit and 4GB of ram.
>
>Last week on friday I left my laptop on the whole night (it's something
>I did before and found no hassles the next morning) with plenty of air
>circulation where it was located. The next morning the laptop began
>unexpectedly running very slow, hanging and it even crashed on me. I
>always start the task manager when turning the laptop on and found that
>no file was using much memory or resources (windows explorer at 32 MB i
>think). But the CPU was running at 100% and the memory at 3.36GB.
>
>I became so frustrated with the damn laptop that i just removed the
>plug cable until I had more time.
>
>It's been a week of looking for myself what the hell happened. It
>starts fine, taking about two minutes to boot and then...CPU 100%, and
>memmory climbs till its 3.36 GB. Before the computer becomes very slow I
>had the chance to open Windows Update page, I did mention that is has
>NEVER been updated, and I regularly update Vista. I've read somewhere
>else that it's a bad thing to update Vista...
>
>I don't know what to do...feeling really sad. If anyone knows what
>might have happened I will be deeply greatfull for anyone who knows any
>tips or info.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!
>malfrus

Turn it on and leave it alone for a day and see what is going on then.
I'll bet it is doing some serious upgrading and you keep interupting
it. If you do NOT upgrade Vista, it will be full of holes that hackers
will exploit!! ALL Windows OS's should be upgraded regularly!!!!
whs

Re: CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!

First thing I would do is have Process Explorer ( 'Process Explorer'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx) ) tell
me what's eating all that CPU time. Then we can go from there.
And follow the previous advice regarding updates.

--
whs
Marcelli

Re: CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!
Also run the task manager and look at all processes running by all users.
werfault.exe is most likely the problem for the CPU usage but there is
probably an underlying problem that reporting problems is trying to find a
solution too. As a manual fix kill off werfault and change control panel
settings so that Vista doesn't report problems.

"malfrus" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Dear all,
>
> I've enjoyed my dell XPS M1330 laptop for over two years now. Never had
> any significant trouble with it...until now. It has Vista home premium
> 32 bit and 4GB of ram.
>
> Last week on friday I left my laptop on the whole night (it's something
> I did before and found no hassles the next morning) with plenty of air
> circulation where it was located. The next morning the laptop began
> unexpectedly running very slow, hanging and it even crashed on me. I
> always start the task manager when turning the laptop on and found that
> no file was using much memory or resources (windows explorer at 32 MB i
> think). But the CPU was running at 100% and the memory at 3.36GB.
>
> I became so frustrated with the damn laptop that i just removed the
> plug cable until I had more time.
>
> It's been a week of looking for myself what the hell happened. It
> starts fine, taking about two minutes to boot and then...CPU 100%, and
> memmory climbs till its 3.36 GB. Before the computer becomes very slow I
> had the chance to open Windows Update page, I did mention that is has
> NEVER been updated, and I regularly update Vista. I've read somewhere
> else that it's a bad thing to update Vista...
>
> I don't know what to do...feeling really sad. If anyone knows what
> might have happened I will be deeply greatfull for anyone who knows any
> tips or info.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
> malfrus
>

> --
> malfrus

prasad

Re: CPU running at 100% and memory at maximum, getting mad!
We would rather check if the CPU uses 100% in the safemode.
Hope you are familiar with safemode
1. Restart the computer-> Start tapping F8 Key-> Choose safemode(Normal) and
press enter.
2. Check the CPU usage. If it is not using 100%, follow the steps mentioned
below
3. Click on Start-> Type "msconfig" without quotes and press enter-> Click
on startup tab and click on disable all-> Click on Services tab, click on
Hide all Microsoft Services and click on disable all.
4. Click on Apply, OK and restart the computer
5. Boot the computer in the normal mode and check the CPU Usage

Regards
Prasad