Registry

SPDy

Registry
I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years
old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! So from time to time it goes out to
lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. I just
can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30
Gig. The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen
blob chunks in there that are quite large and I guess that's how this
is happening. Any advice on reducing the size, future prevention of
this, or other registry management advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
SPDy

Re: Registry
On Dec 9, 12:21*pm, SPDy <sda...@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years
> old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! *So from time to time it goes out to
> lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. *I just
> can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30
> Gig. *The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen
> blob chunks in there that are quite large and I guess that's how this
> is happening. *Any advice on reducing the size, future prevention of
> this, or other registry management advice would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks.

OK. My login profile is 30gb. The registry is 125mb. The profile
must include all directories under my use name. Not sure if 125mb
registry is too large...
James@nowhere.com

Re: Registry
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:48:02 -0800 (PST), SPDy
<sdavis@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>On Dec 9, 12:21*pm, SPDy <sda...@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>> I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years
>> old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! *So from time to time it goes out to
>> lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. *I just
>> can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30
>> Gig. *The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen
>> blob chunks in there that are quite large and I guess that's how this
>> is happening. *Any advice on reducing the size, future prevention of
>> this, or other registry management advice would be appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks.

>OK. My login profile is 30gb. The registry is 125mb. The profile
>must include all directories under my use name. Not sure if 125mb
>registry is too large...

No, not especially large. My reg file is 707 MB, but I do have a lot
of crap installed. Maybe someday I'll get around to cleaning out my
HD. But with 1 TB and 600 GB free,at this point, who cares?

James
Tom

Re: Registry

<James@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:48:02 -0800 (PST), SPDy
> <sdavis@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 9, 12:21 pm, SPDy <sda...@wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>> I have a vista machine (quad-core 500gb hdd) that's a couple years
>>> old. The registry is now 30.2 GB! So from time to time it goes out to
>>> lunch when it is doing shadow copy or restore point creation. I just
>>> can't begin to imagine what could be stored in the registry that is 30
>>> Gig. The registry is supposed to be for settings AFASIK but I've seen
>>> blob chunks in there that are quite large and I guess that's how this
>>> is happening. Any advice on reducing the size, future prevention of
>>> this, or other registry management advice would be appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>OK. My login profile is 30gb. The registry is 125mb. The profile
>>must include all directories under my use name. Not sure if 125mb
>>registry is too large...

> No, not especially large. My reg file is 707 MB, but I do have a lot
> of crap installed. Maybe someday I'll get around to cleaning out my
> HD. But with 1 TB and 600 GB free,at this point, who cares?
>
> James

How do I find the size of my registry?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Registry
Tom wrote:

> How do I find the size of my registry?

The WinXP/Vista/Win7 registry can be found in
C:\Windows\System32\Config\. It'll be divided into several data files,
such as SAM, Security, Software, and System. The user-specific portion
of the registry is stored in each user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.

To determine the size of /your/ (other users' registries will naturally
be different) registry, simply add the sizes for these files together.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Tom

Re: Registry

> Tom wrote:
>>

>> How do I find the size of my registry?

> The WinXP/Vista/Win7 registry can be found in
> C:\Windows\System32\Config\. It'll be divided into several data files,
> such as SAM, Security, Software, and System. The user-specific portion of
> the registry is stored in each user profile, in a file named NTUser.dat.
>
> To determine the size of /your/ (other users' registries will naturally be
> different) registry, simply add the sizes for these files together.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

thank you...