External USB Hard Drive no longer works

rmo555@cox.net

External USB Hard Drive no longer works
I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
cables seem fine.
Questor

Re: External USB Hard Drive no longer works
Have you tried another USB port or another USB cable?

--->
> I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
> cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
> monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
> cables seem fine.

rmo555@cox.net

Re: External USB Hard Drive no longer works
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:27:11 -0500, Questor <Questor@minimoe.com>
wrote:

>Have you tried another USB port or another USB cable?

Yes, I have tried both.

>--->
>> I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
>> cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
>> monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
>> cables seem fine.

rmo555@cox.net

Re: External USB Hard Drive no longer works
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:44:28 -0500, "Stan Starinski"
<China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote:

>tried to power off everything & restart?
>note that drive letter may change, whule drive itself might be still shown
>except un der diff. letter.
>
>tried connecting other external drives?
>let us know

Tried all those things.
Questor

Re: External USB Hard Drive no longer works
Have you opened it up to see if the cables are still seated properly?
It is also possible that the power supply has failed and that there
might be enough juice to turn it, but not run the electronics (a long
shot, but possible).

External drives DO go bad also and this one may have just done that.

--->

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:38:09 -0500, Questor <Questor@minimoe.com>
wrote:

>Have you opened it up to see if the cables are still seated properly?

Haven't tried that yet - but will.

rmo555@cox.net

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:47:36 -0500, rmo555@cox.net wrote:

>I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
>cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
>monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
>cables seem fine.

What would happen if the hard drive was 'accidentally' shut off (during
or not during a backup)?
ray

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:55:24 -0500, rmo555 wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:47:36 -0500, rmo555@cox.net wrote:
>
>>I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
>>cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
>>monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
>>cables seem fine.

> What would happen if the hard drive was 'accidentally' shut off (during
> or not during a backup)?

Most likely, some corrupted data.
webster72n

<rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:47:36 -0500, rmo555@cox.net wrote:
>
>>I have been using an external drive for backup - but as of today, I
>>cannot 'see' it in 'Computer.' It is turning, but not showing up on my
>>monitor. Is there any way I can check to see what the problem is? The
>>cables seem fine.

> What would happen if the hard drive was 'accidentally' shut off (during
> or not during a backup)?

If that's what actually happened, it shouldn't cause it to crash.
There are ways to check out any hard drive, external or internal.
You have to determine the make and then check with the manufacturer's
website for the appropriate program.
Are you sure it wasn't filled?
Let us know, please.

Harry.