Defrag doesn't work

Alex

Defrag doesn't work
After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
recommended that you defragment now."

When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
repeats the same message. This repeats each time.

Any advice?
--
Thanks, Alex
Ǝиçεl

RE: Defrag doesn't work
How much free space is in the HHD ?
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

> After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
> nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
> minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
> recommended that you defragment now."
>
> When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
> repeats the same message. This repeats each time.
>
> Any advice?
> --
> Thanks, Alex

Alex

RE: Defrag doesn't work
what's an HHD?
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> How much free space is in the HHD ?
> -=-
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
> > nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
> > minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
> > recommended that you defragment now."
> >
> > When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
> > repeats the same message. This repeats each time.
> >
> > Any advice?
> > --
> > Thanks, Alex

Alex

RE: Defrag doesn't work
If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> How much free space is in the HHD ?
> -=-
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
> > nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
> > minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
> > recommended that you defragment now."
> >
> > When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
> > repeats the same message. This repeats each time.
> >
> > Any advice?
> > --
> > Thanks, Alex

Ǝиçεl

RE: Defrag doesn't work
Hi Alex,

If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
it's going to stay that way forever!

Check your hard disk for errors ...
http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-command-line/

Good luck
-=-

"Alex" wrote:

> If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
> --
> Thanks, Alex
>

> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > How much free space is in the HHD ?
> > -=-
> >

> > "Alex" wrote:
> >
> > > After functioning properly since I got a new computer with 64-bit Vista
> > > nearly a year ago, the defragmenter now does its "spinning" for about 5
> > > minutes and indicates: "Your file system performace can be improved. It is
> > > recommended that you defragment now."
> > >
> > > When I click on "Defragment now..." it spins again for about 5 minutes and
> > > repeats the same message. This repeats each time.
> > >
> > > Any advice?
> > > --
> > > Thanks, Alex

SC Tom

Re: Defrag doesn't work
I think Alex's point was that you originally typed HHD, not HDD :-)

"Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Alex,
>
> If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
> it's going to stay that way forever!
>
> Check your hard disk for errors ...
> http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-command-line/
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
>> If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
>> --
>> Thanks, Alex
>>

>> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>>
>> > How much free space is in the HHD ?
>> > -=-

Ǝиçεl

Re: Defrag doesn't work
Hi Tom,

That why I was sure to spell right HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) the second time
;-)

Thanks any way, and have you and the OP (and all) a Happy Thanksgiving Day
-=-

"SC Tom" wrote:

> I think Alex's point was that you originally typed HHD, not HDD :-)
>
> "Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
> > it's going to stay that way forever!
> >
> > Check your hard disk for errors ...
> > http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-command-line/
> >
> > Good luck
> > -=-
> >

> > "Alex" wrote:
> >
> >> If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
> >> --
> >> Thanks, Alex

> .

SC Tom

Re: Defrag doesn't work
You, too! I plan on having lots of turkey and stuffing!

> Hi Tom,
>
> That why I was sure to spell right HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) the second
> time
> ;-)
>

> Thanks any way, and have you and the OP (and all) a Happy Thanksgiving Day
> -=-
>
> "SC Tom" wrote:
>
>> I think Alex's point was that you originally typed HHD, not HDD :-)
>>
>> "Ǝиçεl" <l@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Alex,
>> >
>> > If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't
>> > mean
>> > it's going to stay that way forever!
>> >
>> > Check your hard disk for errors ...
>> > http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-command-line/
>> >
>> > Good luck
>> > -=-

>> .

Alex

RE: Defrag doesn't work
Hi to all, and hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

I did a disc check, which I do fairly regularly as routine maintenance, but
the results indicated no problems (as usual), but the defrag is still doing
the same thing as I initially described.

If this can't be fixed, are freeware third-party defraggers such as
Auslogics or Smart Defrag safe and effective alternatives ?
--
Thanks, Alex

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> If your HDD ( H ard D isk D rive) is running perfectly, that doesn't mean
> it's going to stay that way forever!
>
> Check your hard disk for errors ...
> http://www.windowsreference.com/wind...-command-line/
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> "Alex" wrote:
>
> > If you mean my hard drive C, it's got 391 GB free of 451 GB.
> > --
> > Thanks, Alex
> >

> > "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
> >
> > > How much free space is in the HHD ?
> > > -=-

Ǝиçεl

RE: Defrag doesn't work
Hi Alex,

This may fix things quite a bit. SFC \SCANNOW

It replaces corrupt files with intact ones.

Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833>

I'm suяe someone else will help you if this suggestion doesn't help.

Let us know what hªppens.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
©¿©¬