why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?

Ritter197

why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?
Death

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
Ritter197 wrote this, with guidance from inner voices:

> why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
> This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?

Because they made a web based forum, no Win7 group on
microsoft.public.windows

There is an alt.windows7.general, but I don't think msnews(or whatever the
standard server is for Windows Live Mail) has alt groups.

You would need to add a new server, plenty are free.
news.x-privat.org is an example (all you need is to register).

Here are some others
http://www.xmarks.com/site/news.aioe.org/

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.

Dave

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
MSFT hasn't created any Win 7 groups on their news server.
They may not ever, as they seem to now prefer forums.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

Other forums are:
http://www.sevenforums.com
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forumdisplay.php?f=16
http://www.w7forums.com/
http://windows7forums.com/
http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/

--
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
> This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:31:21 -0500, "Ritter197"
<Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote:

> why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
> This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?

Microsoft has no Windows 7 newsgroups. And unfortunately it's highly
unlikely that there will be. Apparently Microsoft has decided that
web-based forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their
efforts there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their
decision, not mine.

However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Questor

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
--->
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:31:21 -0500, "Ritter197"
> <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
>> This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?

> Microsoft has no Windows 7 newsgroups. And unfortunately it's highly
> unlikely that there will be. Apparently Microsoft has decided that
> web-based forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their
> efforts there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their
> decision, not mine.
>
> However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
> alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
> here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Hi Ken. I am sorry to hear your assessment, but I agree with it too. I
like NGs much better than web-based-anythings. I can keep track of many
NGs using Thunderbird that I just can't with a browser. Darn shame.

Questor
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:32:58 -0500, Questor <Questor@minimoe.com>
wrote:

> --->
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:31:21 -0500, "Ritter197"
> > <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> why no Windows 7 account or folder or category here yet?
> >> This is MS and they do not have Anything here about Win7?

> > Microsoft has no Windows 7 newsgroups. And unfortunately it's highly
> > unlikely that there will be. Apparently Microsoft has decided that
> > web-based forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their
> > efforts there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their
> > decision, not mine.
> >
> > However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
> > alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
> > here's one free news server that does: aioe.org
> >

> Hi Ken. I am sorry to hear your assessment, but I agree with it too. I
> like NGs much better than web-based-anythings. I can keep track of many
> NGs using Thunderbird that I just can't with a browser. Darn shame.

To me the main difference is that a newsreader can download all the
messages at once, not one at a time, the way a browser does. The
result is that I can go through the downloaded messages in a newsgroup
*much* faster than in a browser, and quickly pick out those I can or
want to reply to.

The difference in how long it takes me is at least two to one.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Questor

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
--->
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:32:58 -0500, Questor <Questor@minimoe.com>
> wrote:
>
>> --->

>>> Microsoft has no Windows 7 newsgroups. And unfortunately it's highly
>>> unlikely that there will be. Apparently Microsoft has decided that
>>> web-based forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their
>>> efforts there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their
>>> decision, not mine.
>>>
>>> However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
>>> alt-windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
>>> here's one free news server that does: aioe.org
>>>

>> Hi Ken. I am sorry to hear your assessment, but I agree with it too. I
>> like NGs much better than web-based-anythings. I can keep track of many
>> NGs using Thunderbird that I just can't with a browser. Darn shame.

> To me the main difference is that a newsreader can download all the
> messages at once, not one at a time, the way a browser does. The
> result is that I can go through the downloaded messages in a newsgroup
> *much* faster than in a browser, and quickly pick out those I can or
> want to reply to.
>
> The difference in how long it takes me is at least two to one.

Yep. And Thunderbird also has the "Right-click watch/ignore" extension.
If I don't' want to deal with it I just 'ignore' it. "Stacked view"
is good too for arranging all the posts.

Later,

Dave T.

Questor wrote:
> --->
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:32:58 -0500, Questor <Questor@minimoe.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> --->

>>> Hi Ken. I am sorry to hear your assessment, but I agree with it
>>> too. I like NGs much better than web-based-anythings. I can keep
>>> track of many NGs using Thunderbird that I just can't with a
>>> browser. Darn shame.

>> To me the main difference is that a newsreader can download all the
>> messages at once, not one at a time, the way a browser does. The
>> result is that I can go through the downloaded messages in a newsgroup
>> *much* faster than in a browser, and quickly pick out those I can or
>> want to reply to.
>>
>> The difference in how long it takes me is at least two to one.
>>

> Yep. And Thunderbird also has the "Right-click watch/ignore" extension.
> If I don't' want to deal with it I just 'ignore' it. "Stacked view" is
> good too for arranging all the posts.
>
> Later,

Is it reasonable to assume that the blame for this decision from
Microsoft can be laid at the feet of that long list of trolls that
infect the public NG's?

Dave T.
Questor

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
--->
> Questor wrote:
>> --->

>>> To me the main difference is that a newsreader can download all the
>>> messages at once, not one at a time, the way a browser does. The
>>> result is that I can go through the downloaded messages in a newsgroup
>>> *much* faster than in a browser, and quickly pick out those I can or
>>> want to reply to.
>>>
>>> The difference in how long it takes me is at least two to one.
>>>

>> Yep. And Thunderbird also has the "Right-click watch/ignore"
>> extension. If I don't' want to deal with it I just 'ignore' it.
>> "Stacked view" is good too for arranging all the posts.
>>
>> Later,

> Is it reasonable to assume that the blame for this decision from
> Microsoft can be laid at the feet of that long list of trolls that
> infect the public NG's?
>
> Dave T.

Doubtful; but one never knows. I suspect that a web-based interface is
much easier to implement and maintain than a NG.

Patrick Phillips

Re: why no Windows 7 account or folder here yet?
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 08:15:13 -0800
"Dave T." <Dave@domaine.invalid> wrote:

> Is it reasonable to assume that the blame for this decision from
> Microsoft can be laid at the feet of that long list of trolls that
> infect the public NG's?

I'd say the reasoning was its easier to place advertisements on web
based forums.
--
Patrick in IL.