old mail

Bill Walsh

old mail
In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I
thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them, there
is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old emails as
none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

Ǝиçεl

RE: old mail
Hi Bill,

If you are using a 32-bit Vista, thən you might also see if the free
program "Unlocker" may be able to allow you to delete it.
<http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/>
-=-

"Bill Walsh" wrote:

> In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I
> thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them, there
> is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old emails as
> none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW
>
> .

R. C. White

Re: old mail
Hi, Bill.

How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't
interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the computer
busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished, it might
not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag of several
hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a hard-working system.
Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report that some deleted files
are still there, or that some moved files are still in their old locations -
or other mistakes.

You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or
even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system running
so that background tasks can continue.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
> In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I
> thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them,
> there is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old
> emails as none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

Bill Walsh

Re: old mail
Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why
does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I delete
emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and asks "do
you want to permanently
delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista
not let the mesage go away forever? BW
"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Bill.
>
> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?
>
> The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't
> interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the
> computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished,
> it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag
> of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a
> hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report
> that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files are
> still in their old locations - or other mistakes.
>
> You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or
> even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system
> running so that background tasks can continue.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
>> In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I
>> thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them,
>> there is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old
>> emails as none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

R. C. White

Re: old mail
Hi, Bill.

Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The
full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either
Win7 or Vista.

The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but the
first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums" (soft32,
vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums, of course,
but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public newsgroups to make
their own sites look busier and more expert - and to increase their revenue
from click ads.

There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-25b6872e4ee1/

But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those old
files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught up
and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two questions:

> Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why
> does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I
> delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and
> asks "do you want to permanently
> delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista
> not let the mesage go away forever? BW
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Bill.
>>
>> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?
>>
>> The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't
>> interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the
>> computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished,
>> it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag
>> of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a
>> hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report
>> that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files are
>> still in their old locations - or other mistakes.
>>
>> You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or
>> even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system
>> running so that background tasks can continue.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
>>> In the folder "indexed file locations" there are a lot of old emails I
>>> thought were deleted from my system. When I try to delete one of them,
>>> there is no option for delete in the menu. How can I get rid of the old
>>> emails as none of them have any importance to me? Thanks..BW

Bill Walsh

Re: old mail
I just clicked the start button (windows classic style) In the menu I click
on "search for files or people" A window opens titled "search results" and
the message says:" to begin, type in the search box" In this instance, the
search box is located in the upper right corner. I type in any letter and
the
search window title instantly changed to "search Results in Indexed
Loxations" The second line from the top reads: "Show Only: All, then e-mail
then Document, then Picture, then Music, then Other. When I click the word
"email", all of my old email subject titles show up in the large window
underneath. The dates of the emails go back for months. I can see that this
indexing helps searching for older files, etc. but I would like to delete
the emails only..
> Hi, Bill.
>
> Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The
> full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either
> Win7 or Vista.
>
> The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but
> the first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums"
> (soft32, vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums,
> of course, but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public
> newsgroups to make their own sites look busier and more expert - and to
> increase their revenue from click ads.
>
> There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-25b6872e4ee1/
>
> But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those
> old files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught
> up and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two
> questions:
>>> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why
>> does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I
>> delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and
>> asks "do you want to permanently
>> delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista
>> not let the mesage go away forever? BW
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Bill.
>>>
>>> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?
>>>
>>> The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't
>>> interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the
>>> computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are
>>> finished, it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to
>>> date. A lag of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual
>>> for a hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might
>>> report that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files
>>> are still in their old locations - or other mistakes.
>>>
>>> You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break -
>>> or even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system
>>> running so that background tasks can continue.
>>>
>>> RC

TooDawgs

Re: old mail
I also searched for 'indexed locations" and the folder that came up on my
Vista x64 had tons of old e-mails and newsgroups posts and just about
everything that had been done on the computer dating back to 2001 although I
bought the pc last year new. I figured out that if you select any item you
want to delete then click 'File' then 'Move To Folder' then move these items
to the 'Recycle Bin' then you can delete them from there. My questions are:
Is it safe to just select everything in this folder and delete them? Will it
cause any problems to delete all these items? I thought when you deleted
something it wouldn't be so easy to retrieve them. There's nothing
embarassing or illegal in the folder, it's just when I delete something I'd
like it to be 'more gone' than that.
thanks for any input,
toodawgs

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Bill.
>
> Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The
> full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either
> Win7 or Vista.
>
> The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but the
> first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums" (soft32,
> vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums, of course,
> but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public newsgroups to make
> their own sites look busier and more expert - and to increase their revenue
> from click ads.
>
> There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-25b6872e4ee1/
>
> But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those old
> files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught up
> and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two questions:
> >> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this: Why
> > does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I
> > delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears and
> > asks "do you want to permanently
> > delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does vista
> > not let the mesage go away forever? BW
> > "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi, Bill.
> >>
> >> How old is "old"? And how recently were those files deleted?
> >>
> >> The indexing service works only in the background so that it doesn't
> >> interfere with what we are doing in the foreground. If we keep the
> >> computer busy and are careful to shut it down as soon as we are finished,
> >> it might not get enough "down time" to keep the index up to date. A lag
> >> of several hours - or even several days - is not unusual for a
> >> hard-working system. Until it has a chance to catch up, it might report
> >> that some deleted files are still there, or that some moved files are
> >> still in their old locations - or other mistakes.
> >>
> >> You might want to leave the computer running during your lunch break - or
> >> even overnight. You can turn off the monitor, but leave the system
> >> running so that background tasks can continue.
> >>
> >> RC
> >>
> >> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message

> .

R. C. White

Re: old mail
Hi, TooDawgs.

> everything that had been done on the computer dating back to 2001 although
> bought the pc last year new.

You DID Import your old data from your prior computer, right?

> Is it safe to just select everything in this folder and delete them? Will
> it
> cause any problems to delete all these items? I thought when you deleted
> something it wouldn't be so easy to retrieve them.

I'm not clear on what "this folder" is. The best way to delete email is
from inside your email application. In Vista, that is Windows Mail, by
default, but, as in Windows 7, Windows Live Mail and any of a wide
selection of third-party mail/news handlers may be installed. Generally
speaking, messages CAN be deleted by using Windows Explorer or other tools,
but this does not give your mail program a chance to clean up after itself
and can result in future problems.

Windows provides several ways to delete files. Most of those ways put the
deleted items in the Recycle Bin - just in case we change our mind. (I
have, on several occasions, and have been grateful for this safeguard.) But
it also provides several ways to empty this Recycle Bin - or to bypass it
entirely, leaving no easy way to recover files. Then we must locate and use
recovery utilities or (usually expensive) disk recovery services. (But the
nature of hard disks says that, if you have the resources of the CIA,
nothing ever is really deleted.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"TooDawgs" <TooDawgs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I also searched for 'indexed locations" and the folder that came up on my
> Vista x64 had tons of old e-mails and newsgroups posts and just about
> everything that had been done on the computer dating back to 2001 although
> bought the pc last year new. I figured out that if you select any item you
> want to delete then click 'File' then 'Move To Folder' then move these
> items
> to the 'Recycle Bin' then you can delete them from there. My questions
> are:
> Is it safe to just select everything in this folder and delete them? Will
> it
> cause any problems to delete all these items? I thought when you deleted
> something it wouldn't be so easy to retrieve them. There's nothing
> embarassing or illegal in the folder, it's just when I delete something
> I'd
> like it to be 'more gone' than that.
> thanks for any input,
> toodawgs
>

> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Bill.
>>
>> Please tell us again - more explicitly - WHERE you see these files. The
>> full pathname, please. I don't have any folder with that name in either
>> Win7 or Vista.
>>
>> The phrase "indexed file locations" turns up plenty of hits on Bing, but
>> the
>> first half-dozen or so are YOUR post in several different "forums"
>> (soft32,
>> vistaheads, windowskb, etc.). You didn't post to those forums, of
>> course,
>> but they all "slurp" messages from these Microsoft public newsgroups to
>> make
>> their own sites look busier and more expert - and to increase their
>> revenue
>> from click ads.
>>
>> There might be something useful in this MSDN link:
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-25b6872e4ee1/
>>
>> But my only thought is what I posted earlier: Vista did not keep those
>> old
>> files. The files are gone, but the Indexing Service hasn't yet caught up
>> and still shows them as present. And you didn't answer my two questions:

>> RC
>>
>> "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for replying. However, that is not my puzzlement. It is this:
>> > Why
>> > does Vista keep these old files that I intentionally deleted? When I
>> > delete emails, I use the "shift delete" option. A message box appears
>> > and
>> > asks "do you want to permanently
>> > delete this (these) message? I click on the yes option. So why does
>> > vista
>> > not let the mesage go away forever? BW

R. C. White

Re: old mail
Hi, Bill.

Aha! So you are looking in Search, not in Windows Explorer.

I've been trying to use Vista's Indexing Service for over 4 years, ever
since Vista was in early beta. Sometimes it has produced excellent results
for me - but more often I've been disappointed. At the moment, Win7's
Indexing Options window says I have over 3.3 million items indexed - but a
search for a fellow Rotarian turns up just 2 hits, although I know there
should be at least hundreds of mentions in emails, plus many more in our
weekly Rotary newsletter, which I edited for 3 years and stored in Microsoft
Office Publisher files here on my hard drive.

I'm sorry that I can't be of much help to you on this problem, Bill. You
might try in the Vista.general newsgroup.

As I just said to TooDawgs in this thread, mail files are best managed from
inside the mail program that you are using. Deleting them in Windows
Explorer can leave many "dangling threads" that the mail app has to clean
up.

One more thought: A 10-year old email that was deleted just last week is
not yet "an old file".

RC