Audiodg.exe - FIXED

HemanC

Audiodg.exe - FIXED

right click on the speaker icon at the bottom right.
select Playback Devices
highlight the icon with the green check mark
click Properties
click the Advanced tap
uncheck Enable audio enhancements

Not sure if that will lower the sound quailty but at least my lowly P4
2.66Ghz doesn't skip anymore. Now audiodg.exe run less than 5% of the
CPU time.

--
HemanC
HemanC's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25373

http://forums.techarena.in

evb60

Re: audiodg.exe

The audiodg proces is indeed a system proces, which is used sound
processing on your machine. More about the proces can be read in this
blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/...diodg-exe.aspx

The solution to the CPU problem has been to me to disable the service
in computer management at reboot, so it wouldn't start at system bootup.
Then, when I'm back in windows, I just re-enable it. At that point in
time, it won't eat your CPU anymore.

I have no exact explanation to why it eats that much cpu, but I expect
it to be a driver incompatibility. Porbably the Realtek AC97 (in my
case) drivers aren't reacting the way audiodg expects them to do.

--
evb60
evb60's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/evb60.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Danielcarlson@hotmail.com

Re: audiodg.exe
So there is no alternative to having terrible sound on my machine because
Audiodg hogs the memory? If I want to listen to my music I have to do it
outside Windows? I have Vista Home Premium and I want my money back! Show me
to the door please!

"evb60" wrote:

> The audiodg proces is indeed a system proces, which is used sound
> processing on your machine. More about the proces can be read in this
> blog post:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/...diodg-exe.aspx
>
> The solution to the CPU problem has been to me to disable the service
> in computer management at reboot, so it wouldn't start at system bootup.
> Then, when I'm back in windows, I just re-enable it. At that point in
> time, it won't eat your CPU anymore.
>
> I have no exact explanation to why it eats that much cpu, but I expect
> it to be a driver incompatibility. Porbably the Realtek AC97 (in my
> case) drivers aren't reacting the way audiodg expects them to do.
>

> --
> evb60
> evb60's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/evb60.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/530056.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Dave

Re: audiodg.exe
Perhaps you should back up a bit, and explain your problem a bit more..
What program are you using to play music?
System specs, etc.

I just opened Windows Media Player and started to play a list of mp3 files.
My CPU usage went up as high as 90 %, but the music sounds just fine.
Using Process Explorer, I saw that wmplayer was using 30-40%, and
searchindexer was using 40-50%.
After the indexer stopped, the CPU usage dropped to less than 20%, with
wmplayer using less than 1 %.
audiodg uses less than 1 %.

--
Windows 7 beta
3 GB RAM, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, nVidia GeForce7800 GTX

"Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
<Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> So there is no alternative to having terrible sound on my machine because
> Audiodg hogs the memory? If I want to listen to my music I have to do it
> outside Windows? I have Vista Home Premium and I want my money back! Show
> me
> to the door please!
>
> "evb60" wrote:
>

>> The audiodg proces is indeed a system proces, which is used sound
>> processing on your machine. More about the proces can be read in this
>> blog post:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/...diodg-exe.aspx
>>
>> The solution to the CPU problem has been to me to disable the service
>> in computer management at reboot, so it wouldn't start at system bootup.
>> Then, when I'm back in windows, I just re-enable it. At that point in
>> time, it won't eat your CPU anymore.
>>
>> I have no exact explanation to why it eats that much cpu, but I expect
>> it to be a driver incompatibility. Porbably the Realtek AC97 (in my
>> case) drivers aren't reacting the way audiodg expects them to do.
>>

>> --
>> evb60
>> evb60's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/evb60.htm
>> View this thread:
>> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/530056.htm
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

Danielcarlson@hotmail.com

Re: audiodg.exe
I'm not sure, Dave, what difference it will make to describe my system if
it's just one of those things that happen with audiodg. But I have an AMD
dual-core 32-bit processor, 3 Gigs memory, 200 GB hard drive at 5400 RPM.
It's a laptop, Toshiba and it didn't make all the strange screeching, jumbled
and static noises, cutting out and everthing until lately. The audiodg
process gets as high as 300,000 bytes and takes up as much as 80% of my
memory. And it's annoying as heck.

I scoured the internet, Microsoft support too, but found nothing up till I
landed here. The Microsoft support said "Sorry Charlie, you must go to the
manufacturer for help." The manufacturer, Toshiba, is telling people it's not
a hardware problem so that's that. And unless I misread what has been said
here, the best thing to do is not to play music at all.

It's worst when I try to do videos on youtube, but then It's not always
happening. But doing a restart has not made a difference it seems. It may
bring down the memory in bytes but the percentage is still way up there and
the sound is usually not better.

Got any ideas? I've seen people talk about "leaks" but I don't know what
that means.

Thanks though for replying.....
Dan

"Dave" wrote:

> Perhaps you should back up a bit, and explain your problem a bit more..
> What program are you using to play music?
> System specs, etc.
>
> I just opened Windows Media Player and started to play a list of mp3 files.
> My CPU usage went up as high as 90 %, but the music sounds just fine.
> Using Process Explorer, I saw that wmplayer was using 30-40%, and
> searchindexer was using 40-50%.
> After the indexer stopped, the CPU usage dropped to less than 20%, with
> wmplayer using less than 1 %.
> audiodg uses less than 1 %.
>

> --
> Windows 7 beta
> 3 GB RAM, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, nVidia GeForce7800 GTX
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>

> "Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
> <Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> > So there is no alternative to having terrible sound on my machine because
> > Audiodg hogs the memory? If I want to listen to my music I have to do it
> > outside Windows? I have Vista Home Premium and I want my money back! Show
> > me
> > to the door please!
> >
> > "evb60" wrote:
> >

> >> The audiodg proces is indeed a system proces, which is used sound
> >> processing on your machine. More about the proces can be read in this
> >> blog post:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/...diodg-exe.aspx
> >>
> >> The solution to the CPU problem has been to me to disable the service
> >> in computer management at reboot, so it wouldn't start at system bootup.
> >> Then, when I'm back in windows, I just re-enable it. At that point in
> >> time, it won't eat your CPU anymore.
> >>
> >> I have no exact explanation to why it eats that much cpu, but I expect
> >> it to be a driver incompatibility. Porbably the Realtek AC97 (in my
> >> case) drivers aren't reacting the way audiodg expects them to do.
> >>

> >> --
> >> evb60
> >> evb60's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/evb60.htm
> >> View this thread:
> >> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/530056.htm
> >>
> >> http://forums.techarena.in

Dave

Re: audiodg.exe
Well, I don't know about memory leaks, but I'd try to update the audio
driver, to see if that would help.

--
Windows 7 beta

newsCEE3853-5384-4D8F-8674-36103F54DDD5@microsoft.com...
> I'm not sure, Dave, what difference it will make to describe my system if
> it's just one of those things that happen with audiodg. But I have an AMD
> dual-core 32-bit processor, 3 Gigs memory, 200 GB hard drive at 5400 RPM.
> It's a laptop, Toshiba and it didn't make all the strange screeching,
> jumbled
> and static noises, cutting out and everthing until lately. The audiodg
> process gets as high as 300,000 bytes and takes up as much as 80% of my
> memory. And it's annoying as heck.
>
> I scoured the internet, Microsoft support too, but found nothing up till I
> landed here. The Microsoft support said "Sorry Charlie, you must go to the
> manufacturer for help." The manufacturer, Toshiba, is telling people it's
> not
> a hardware problem so that's that. And unless I misread what has been said
> here, the best thing to do is not to play music at all.
>
> It's worst when I try to do videos on youtube, but then It's not always
> happening. But doing a restart has not made a difference it seems. It may
> bring down the memory in bytes but the percentage is still way up there
> and
> the sound is usually not better.
>
> Got any ideas? I've seen people talk about "leaks" but I don't know what
> that means.
>
> Thanks though for replying.....
> Dan
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you should back up a bit, and explain your problem a bit more..
>> What program are you using to play music?
>> System specs, etc.
>>
>> I just opened Windows Media Player and started to play a list of mp3
>> files.
>> My CPU usage went up as high as 90 %, but the music sounds just fine.
>> Using Process Explorer, I saw that wmplayer was using 30-40%, and
>> searchindexer was using 40-50%.
>> After the indexer stopped, the CPU usage dropped to less than 20%, with
>> wmplayer using less than 1 %.
>> audiodg uses less than 1 %.
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 beta
>> 3 GB RAM, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, nVidia GeForce7800 GTX
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>

>> "Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
>> <Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
>> > So there is no alternative to having terrible sound on my machine
>> > because
>> > Audiodg hogs the memory? If I want to listen to my music I have to do
>> > it
>> > outside Windows? I have Vista Home Premium and I want my money back!
>> > Show
>> > me
>> > to the door please!

Danielcarlson@hotmail.com

Re: audiodg.exe
Thanks for some direction.... I haven't been able to find this much help
anywhere Dave. I'm not too much of a geek so could you steer me in the right
direction to update my audio drivers? Where would I find them? In the device
manager? And if so would it be under a plug and play USB? I'm lost here.

Thanks a billion Dave (you know what they say... a billion here and a
billion there, pretty soon your talking real thanks) LOL

"Dave" wrote:

> Well, I don't know about memory leaks, but I'd try to update the audio
> driver, to see if that would help.
>

> --
> Windows 7 beta
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>

> "Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
> <Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> newsCEE3853-5384-4D8F-8674-36103F54DDD5@microsoft.com...
> > I'm not sure, Dave, what difference it will make to describe my system if
> > it's just one of those things that happen with audiodg. But I have an AMD
> > dual-core 32-bit processor, 3 Gigs memory, 200 GB hard drive at 5400 RPM.
> > It's a laptop, Toshiba and it didn't make all the strange screeching,
> > jumbled
> > and static noises, cutting out and everthing until lately. The audiodg
> > process gets as high as 300,000 bytes and takes up as much as 80% of my
> > memory. And it's annoying as heck.
> >
> > I scoured the internet, Microsoft support too, but found nothing up till I
> > landed here. The Microsoft support said "Sorry Charlie, you must go to the
> > manufacturer for help." The manufacturer, Toshiba, is telling people it's
> > not
> > a hardware problem so that's that. And unless I misread what has been said
> > here, the best thing to do is not to play music at all.
> >
> > It's worst when I try to do videos on youtube, but then It's not always
> > happening. But doing a restart has not made a difference it seems. It may
> > bring down the memory in bytes but the percentage is still way up there
> > and
> > the sound is usually not better.
> >
> > Got any ideas? I've seen people talk about "leaks" but I don't know what
> > that means.
> >
> > Thanks though for replying.....
> > Dan
> >
> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps you should back up a bit, and explain your problem a bit more..
> >> What program are you using to play music?
> >> System specs, etc.
> >>
> >> I just opened Windows Media Player and started to play a list of mp3
> >> files.
> >> My CPU usage went up as high as 90 %, but the music sounds just fine.
> >> Using Process Explorer, I saw that wmplayer was using 30-40%, and
> >> searchindexer was using 40-50%.
> >> After the indexer stopped, the CPU usage dropped to less than 20%, with
> >> wmplayer using less than 1 %.
> >> audiodg uses less than 1 %.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Windows 7 beta
> >> 3 GB RAM, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, nVidia GeForce7800 GTX
> >> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> >> http://download.live.com/wlmail
> >>

> >> "Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"

Dave

Re: audiodg.exe
You can go to Start - Control Panel - Device Manager
under "Sound, Video and Game controllers", it should list your audio driver
(something like Conexant AC-Link, or Realtek)
Write down what it shows.

If you want, you can delete the driver, and have Vista try to reinstall it.
click on the driver listed, and press the Delete key and confirm the delete.
Then click on Action - Scan for hardware changes
Vista should look for and install the audio driver.
If it doesn't find it, or installs the incorrect one, you'll have to go to
the Toshiba website and look for the audio driver for your model.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...port&sn=false#

They also have a user forum on the Toshiba site that could help you better
that I can.

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/tshb...oard.id=brd_av

--
Windows 7 beta

> Thanks for some direction.... I haven't been able to find this much help
> anywhere Dave. I'm not too much of a geek so could you steer me in the
> right
> direction to update my audio drivers? Where would I find them? In the
> device
> manager? And if so would it be under a plug and play USB? I'm lost here.
>
> Thanks a billion Dave (you know what they say... a billion here and a
> billion there, pretty soon your talking real thanks) LOL
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> Well, I don't know about memory leaks, but I'd try to update the audio
>> driver, to see if that would help.
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 beta
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>

>> "Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
>> <Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
>> newsCEE3853-5384-4D8F-8674-36103F54DDD5@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm not sure, Dave, what difference it will make to describe my system
>> > if
>> > it's just one of those things that happen with audiodg. But I have an
>> > AMD
>> > dual-core 32-bit processor, 3 Gigs memory, 200 GB hard drive at 5400
>> > RPM.
>> > It's a laptop, Toshiba and it didn't make all the strange screeching,
>> > jumbled
>> > and static noises, cutting out and everthing until lately. The audiodg
>> > process gets as high as 300,000 bytes and takes up as much as 80% of my
>> > memory. And it's annoying as heck.
>> >
>> > I scoured the internet, Microsoft support too, but found nothing up
>> > till I
>> > landed here. The Microsoft support said "Sorry Charlie, you must go to
>> > the
>> > manufacturer for help." The manufacturer, Toshiba, is telling people
>> > it's
>> > not
>> > a hardware problem so that's that. And unless I misread what has been
>> > said
>> > here, the best thing to do is not to play music at all.
>> >
>> > It's worst when I try to do videos on youtube, but then It's not always
>> > happening. But doing a restart has not made a difference it seems. It
>> > may
>> > bring down the memory in bytes but the percentage is still way up there
>> > and
>> > the sound is usually not better.
>> >
>> > Got any ideas? I've seen people talk about "leaks" but I don't know
>> > what
>> > that means.
>> >
>> > Thanks though for replying.....
>> > Dan

tempting2taanzaa

Re: audiodg.exe
"Danielcarlson@hotmail.com"
<Danielcarlsonhotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com > wrote in message
> Thanks for some direction.... I haven't been able to find this much help
> anywhere Dave. I'm not too much of a geek so could you steer me in the
> right
> direction to update my audio drivers? Where would I find them? In the
> device
> manager? And if so would it be under a plug and play USB? I'm lost here.
>
> Thanks a billion Dave (you know what they say... a billion here and a
> billion there, pretty soon your talking real thanks) LOL

(snip)

Danielcarlson@hotmail.com

Re: audiodg.exe
Thanks Dave! It seems to have worked. I did the uninstall in device manager
and the machine automatically took my word for it and didn't argue with me
(as it always has in the past when I try something new) LOL.

So after it uninstalled and found and installed the new drivers on its own,
I did a restart and when I came back and looked at the Task Manager list of
processes I had to scroll down to the bottom of the list because even though
I was running a video, it was hardly using any resources. The audio
noise/screeching is gone and the sound is back to where it should be. It's
even better I think.

Now I have that annoyance out of the way and I can work on my boot problem.
I want to thank you for the help. Oh.... my boot problem you ask? Uh.... I
wouldn't want to bother you again..... LOL I'll figure it out on my own I
hope.

Thanks for the good samaritan help friend..... Dan