Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.

Archquark

Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
A friend who has Windows XP Home running on his machine has had several
problems in the past week with lockups and not shutting down. He has run
Chkdsk and no errors were found. He ran his virus checker ( Avast ) and
again no errors were found. He used the Restore program and successfully
restored his computer which resulted in the lockups while running from
occurring again, but his computer will now not shutdown. He reverts to
shutting it down manually, which I explained can cause more problems.
I told him he should have tried the safe mode option to restart in the last
good configuration first but at that point he had already used Restore. I
have e-mailed him the Microsoft article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308029.
Is there any other things he could try?
I will attempt to try and help him today and any constructive instruction
would be appreciated.

Rick Rogers

Re: Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
Hi,

Never good news, but lockups are usually the result of failing hardware.
What your friend needs is to have the system diagnosed by a technician. It
may be something as simple as memory failure, or as complicated as a
motherboard replacement.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Archquark" <frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> A friend who has Windows XP Home running on his machine has had several
> problems in the past week with lockups and not shutting down. He has run
> Chkdsk and no errors were found. He ran his virus checker ( Avast ) and
> again no errors were found. He used the Restore program and successfully
> restored his computer which resulted in the lockups while running from
> occurring again, but his computer will now not shutdown. He reverts to
> shutting it down manually, which I explained can cause more problems.
> I told him he should have tried the safe mode option to restart in the
> last good configuration first but at that point he had already used
> Restore. I have e-mailed him the Microsoft article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308029.
> Is there any other things he could try?
> I will attempt to try and help him today and any constructive instruction
> would be appreciated.

Patrick Phillips

Re: Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
In article <OA42SyqZKHA.2160@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
frank.mcveigh@sympatico.ca says...

> A friend who has Windows XP Home running on his machine has had several
> problems in the past week with lockups and not shutting down. He has run
> Chkdsk and no errors were found. He ran his virus checker ( Avast ) and
> again no errors were found. He used the Restore program and successfully
> restored his computer which resulted in the lockups while running from
> occurring again, but his computer will now not shutdown. He reverts to
> shutting it down manually, which I explained can cause more problems.
> I told him he should have tried the safe mode option to restart in the last
> good configuration first but at that point he had already used Restore. I
> have e-mailed him the Microsoft article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308029.
> Is there any other things he could try?
> I will attempt to try and help him today and any constructive instruction
> would be appreciated.

He could try removing and device drivers or programs installed since it
was last running OK, like if a newer video driver was installed remove it
and go back to previous version, or if they added any new hardware remove
the hardware and and see if it still locks-up before re-installing it,
same with any new software programs.
If it starts running OK add the stuff back one at a time until it starts
locking again and that will be what's causing it.

Old or corrupt video drivers can cause lockups, installing a newer video
driver might help if nothing above did any good.

--
Patrick in IL.
Questor

Re: Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
--->
> A friend who has Windows XP Home running on his machine has had several
> problems in the past week with lockups and not shutting down. He has run
> Chkdsk and no errors were found. He ran his virus checker ( Avast ) and
> again no errors were found. He used the Restore program and successfully
> restored his computer which resulted in the lockups while running from
> occurring again, but his computer will now not shutdown. He reverts to
> shutting it down manually, which I explained can cause more problems.
> I told him he should have tried the safe mode option to restart in the
> last good configuration first but at that point he had already used
> Restore. I have e-mailed him the Microsoft article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308029.
> Is there any other things he could try?
> I will attempt to try and help him today and any constructive
> instruction would be appreciated.

There are several good ideas here, but you might want to ask this
question in the XP newsgroup also:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

Questor
Archquark

Re: Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
Thanks Questor I use Vista so had inadvertendly placed question in Vista
forum.

"Questor" <Questor@minimoe.com> wrote in message
> --->
>> A friend who has Windows XP Home running on his machine has had several
>> problems in the past week with lockups and not shutting down. He has run
>> Chkdsk and no errors were found. He ran his virus checker ( Avast ) and
>> again no errors were found. He used the Restore program and successfully
>> restored his computer which resulted in the lockups while running from
>> occurring again, but his computer will now not shutdown. He reverts to
>> shutting it down manually, which I explained can cause more problems.
>> I told him he should have tried the safe mode option to restart in the
>> last good configuration first but at that point he had already used
>> Restore. I have e-mailed him the Microsoft article:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/308029.
>> Is there any other things he could try?
>> I will attempt to try and help him today and any constructive instruction
>> would be appreciated.

> There are several good ideas here, but you might want to ask this question
> in the XP newsgroup also:
>
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
>
> Questor

Questor

Re: Windows XP Home Lockup & shutdown problem.
No problem. I see your post in the other NG now. It should net some

--->