Defrag.exe in Windows Vista Dos window STILL running!

Gil Tennant

Defrag.exe in Windows Vista Dos window STILL running!
I normally let Vista perform a regularly scheduled Defrag, but I was having
performance issues that did not appear to be infection related (scanned the
Dell laptop with AVG/Kaspersky online/Trojan Remover and found nothing).

Around 4pm I started "defrag.exe c: -c -w -v" in a dos window, under Vista
SP2.

Well, it displayed a brief text report, early on, in the dos window, and the
drive light has been blinking away, with obvious activity for the past 10
hours! The dos screen's cursor is sitting there blinking (and giving me no
indication, of course, how many more hours I am going to have to wait for it
to finish)... I can do other tasks out side the dos window and run things
normally, but I'd like to take my defragger and go home now, it's getting
late. LOL!

How does one stop this safely?

AND, anything else out there that will give me SOME kind of idea when the
"drive blinkies" will end, when I defrag? Open to third party solutions...

I don't want to simply kill the task, unless I know that the files won't be
left in a damaged state (but then again, they may already be shuffled like a
deck of cards by a dealer with convulsize tendencies).

8-O

--
Gil Tennant

Gil Tennant

RE: Defrag.exe in Windows Vista Dos window STILL running!
By the way, I am running my system in SAFE MODE right now.. (hope it actually
IS safe).

--
Gil Tennant

"Gil Tennant" wrote:

> I normally let Vista perform a regularly scheduled Defrag, but I was having
> performance issues that did not appear to be infection related (scanned the
> Dell laptop with AVG/Kaspersky online/Trojan Remover and found nothing).
>
> Around 4pm I started "defrag.exe c: -c -w -v" in a dos window, under Vista
> SP2.
>
> Well, it displayed a brief text report, early on, in the dos window, and the
> drive light has been blinking away, with obvious activity for the past 10
> hours! The dos screen's cursor is sitting there blinking (and giving me no
> indication, of course, how many more hours I am going to have to wait for it
> to finish)... I can do other tasks out side the dos window and run things
> normally, but I'd like to take my defragger and go home now, it's getting
> late. LOL!
>
> How does one stop this safely?
>
> AND, anything else out there that will give me SOME kind of idea when the
> "drive blinkies" will end, when I defrag? Open to third party solutions...
>
> I don't want to simply kill the task, unless I know that the files won't be
> left in a damaged state (but then again, they may already be shuffled like a
> deck of cards by a dealer with convulsize tendencies).
>
> 8-O
>
> --
> Gil Tennant

Frank-FL

"Gil Tennant" <gtennant (@) rogers (dot) com> wrote in message
>I normally let Vista perform a regularly scheduled Defrag, but I was
>having
> performance issues that did not appear to be infection related
> (scanned the
> Dell laptop with AVG/Kaspersky online/Trojan Remover and found
> nothing).
>
> Around 4pm I started "defrag.exe c: -c -w -v" in a dos window, under
> Vista
> SP2.
>
> Well, it displayed a brief text report, early on, in the dos window,
> and the
> drive light has been blinking away, with obvious activity for the
> past 10
> hours! The dos screen's cursor is sitting there blinking (and giving
> me no
> indication, of course, how many more hours I am going to have to
> wait for it
> to finish)... I can do other tasks out side the dos window and run
> things
> normally, but I'd like to take my defragger and go home now, it's
> getting
> late. LOL!
>
> How does one stop this safely?
>
> AND, anything else out there that will give me SOME kind of idea
> when the
> "drive blinkies" will end, when I defrag? Open to third party
> solutions...
>
> I don't want to simply kill the task, unless I know that the files
> won't be
> left in a damaged state (but then again, they may already be
> shuffled like a
> deck of cards by a dealer with convulsize tendencies).

The blinking will end when defrag is done.

Gil Tennant

RE: Defrag.exe in Windows Vista Dos window STILL running!
Stopped it with Ctrl-C, anyway.. Seemed to end appropriately after a short
pause and a confirmation that I had initiated to end it.

Thanks.

Used Auslogics Disk Defrag - completed in 14 minutes! (versus 12 hours and
still going, with Windows Defrag.exe... )
--
Gil Tennant