Destination Folder Access Denied

Llew Ralph

Destination Folder Access Denied
Vista is reporting that the file stdole32.tlb is corrupt.

I have attempted to copy a known good version to C:\WINDOWS\System32 but am
obtaining a "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform
this action" error message, even with UAC switched off.

I would appreciate advice how to obtain the permissions to effect this repair.

TIA
dean-dean

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
This is a file that the system can repair. Try this:

Right-click on Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator. In the
Command Prompt window, type:

sfc /scannow

After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can confirm
any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.

"Llew Ralph" <LlewRalph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista is reporting that the file stdole32.tlb is corrupt.
>
> I have attempted to copy a known good version to C:\WINDOWS\System32 but
> am
> obtaining a "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to
> perform
> this action" error message, even with UAC switched off.
>
> I would appreciate advice how to obtain the permissions to effect this
> repair.
>
> TIA

Llew Ralph

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately this reported " Windows Resource Protection did not find any
integrity violations", but Windows still grumbles that the file is corrupt.

What I was really asking is how can a file be copied to WINDOWS\System32
without it being blocked.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> This is a file that the system can repair. Try this:
>
> Right-click on Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator. In the
> Command Prompt window, type:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can confirm
> any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
> C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.
>

> "Llew Ralph" <LlewRalph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista is reporting that the file stdole32.tlb is corrupt.
> >
> > I have attempted to copy a known good version to C:\WINDOWS\System32 but
> > am
> > obtaining a "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to
> > perform
> > this action" error message, even with UAC switched off.
> >
> > I would appreciate advice how to obtain the permissions to effect this
> > repair.
> >
> > TIA

dean-dean

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then
press ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type
takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type
icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy
of the file:

Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File
Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination

For example,
type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

> Thanks for the response.
>
> Unfortunately this reported " Windows Resource Protection did not find any
> integrity violations", but Windows still grumbles that the file is
> corrupt.
>
> What I was really asking is how can a file be copied to WINDOWS\System32
> without it being blocked.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> This is a file that the system can repair. Try this:
>>
>> Right-click on Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator. In the
>> Command Prompt window, type:
>>
>> sfc /scannow
>>
>> After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can
>> confirm
>> any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
>> C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.
>>

>> "Llew Ralph" <LlewRalph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Vista is reporting that the file stdole32.tlb is corrupt.
>> >
>> > I have attempted to copy a known good version to C:\WINDOWS\System32
>> > but
>> > am
>> > obtaining a "Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to
>> > perform
>> > this action" error message, even with UAC switched off.
>> >
>> > I would appreciate advice how to obtain the permissions to effect this
>> > repair.
>> >
>> > TIA

Llew Ralph

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
Thanks for your continued interest in this issue.

However, the problem is not with file access permissions but with Vista
blocking the file copy process.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> At an elevated command prompt, type the following command, and then
> press ENTER:
>
> takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
>
> For example, type
> takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
>
> Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
> administrators full access to the file:
>
> icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
>
> For example, type
> icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.
>
> Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy
> of the file:
>
> Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File
> Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination
>
> For example,
> type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
>

> "Llew Ralph" <LlewRalph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > Unfortunately this reported " Windows Resource Protection did not find any
> > integrity violations", but Windows still grumbles that the file is
> > corrupt.
> >
> > What I was really asking is how can a file be copied to WINDOWS\System32
> > without it being blocked.
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> This is a file that the system can repair. Try this:
> >>
> >> Right-click on Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator. In the
> >> Command Prompt window, type:
> >>
> >> sfc /scannow
> >>
> >> After the System File Checker scan, which may take awhile, you can
> >> confirm
> >> any repairs by looking at the cbs.log (towards the end of the log) in
> >> C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.

dean-dean

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
Vista is blocking the copy because it won't allow a file owned by
TrustedInstaller to be moved/replaced. See: