Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium

XXX

Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium
My friend has a Vista Home Premium (32bit) Dell desktop with SP2 installed - and
all other updates installed as of this moment in time.

A month or so ago he created 3 sub-folders in his Video folder. These are empty
and have not, as far as I am aware, been used.

When I say they are empty I mean there are no files inside. I have noticed that
there are some sub-folders, which are also empty

I am now trying to delete these folders (and sub-folders) - and each time I get
the msg "Cannot delete this folder - item cannot be found" - and the delete fails.

So far I have tried this with elevated rights to Admin, in Safe Mode, and using
the command prompt - all without success.

I have scanned the hard disk with MSEssentials - fully up to date, and found
nothing.

At the moment I am running CHKDSK to see if there an error on the disk - but
halfway through there are no reports of an error so far.

Has anyone experienced this before? Would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
mak74

Re: Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium

Install a smart uninstaller like "Final Uninstaller" or "Wise Disk
Cleaner" or "Smarty Uninstaller" or "Perfect Uninstaller"...

--
mak74
XXX

mak74 wrote:
> Install a smart uninstaller like "Final Uninstaller" or "Wise Disk
> Cleaner" or "Smarty Uninstaller" or "Perfect Uninstaller"...

Thanks 4 ur reply.

My problem is deleting folders in the User's profile (\users\fred\videos to be
specific). Its not an issue of a failed or incomplete uninstall.

These folders were originally created by the user.

Any ideas?

Steve
Patrick Phillips

Re: Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:19:21 +0000
XXX <XXX@xxx.com> wrote:

> Thanks 4 ur reply.
>
> My problem is deleting folders in the User's profile (\users\fred\videos
> to be specific). Its not an issue of a failed or incomplete uninstall.
>
> These folders were originally created by the user.
>
> Any ideas?

I'd say you need to be logged-in as the user who created the folders like
your fred example above in order to delete them.
--
Patrick in IL.
XXX

Patrick Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:19:21 +0000
> XXX <XXX@xxx.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks 4 ur reply.
>>
>> My problem is deleting folders in the User's profile (\users\fred\videos
>> to be specific). Its not an issue of a failed or incomplete uninstall.
>>
>> These folders were originally created by the user.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> I'd say you need to be logged-in as the user who created the folders like
> your fred example above in order to delete them.
> --
> Patrick in IL.

\

Thanks Patrick.

I AM logged in as that user...that's why I am completely baffled by this!

Steve
XXX

XXX wrote:
> My friend has a Vista Home Premium (32bit) Dell desktop with SP2
> installed - and all other updates installed as of this moment in time.
>
> A month or so ago he created 3 sub-folders in his Video folder. These
> are empty and have not, as far as I am aware, been used.
>
> When I say they are empty I mean there are no files inside. I have
> noticed that there are some sub-folders, which are also empty
>
> I am now trying to delete these folders (and sub-folders) - and each
> time I get the msg "Cannot delete this folder - item cannot be found" -
> and the delete fails.
>
> So far I have tried this with elevated rights to Admin, in Safe Mode,
> and using the command prompt - all without success.
>
> I have scanned the hard disk with MSEssentials - fully up to date, and
> found nothing.
>
> At the moment I am running CHKDSK to see if there an error on the disk -
> but halfway through there are no reports of an error so far.
>
> Has anyone experienced this before? Would appreciate all suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Steve

Thanks for all the replies. Problem solved by using Unlocker v1.8.8 to delete
the folders....brilliant bit of software!
andrew

Re: Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium
it sounds to ma as though it is a ghost folder and is actually not there.
Have you tried to run a disk defragment to get rid of any delted files and
folders completely.

"XXX" <XXX@xxx.com> wrote in message
> Patrick Phillips wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:19:21 +0000
>> XXX <XXX@xxx.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks 4 ur reply.
>>>
>>> My problem is deleting folders in the User's profile (\users\fred\videos
>>> to be specific). Its not an issue of a failed or incomplete uninstall.
>>>
>>> These folders were originally created by the user.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> I'd say you need to be logged-in as the user who created the folders like
>> your fred example above in order to delete them. --
>> Patrick in IL.

> \
>
> Thanks Patrick.
>
> I AM logged in as that user...that's why I am completely baffled by this!
>
> Steve

CrucialHoax

Re: Cannot delete folders - Vista Home Premium

Could have downloaded knoppix or ubuntu, booted the disk and deleted
everything. Pretty easy and a -very- handy tool.

--
CrucialHoax