Can't install Vista SP2

Charles W Davis

Can't install Vista SP2
Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down to
the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then double
click. The error message went something like this: "This file does not have
a program associated with it from performing this action. Create an
association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way to
"restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came across
this page:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.

Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete scan -
nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant cookie. I
went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service Pack 1. It
installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack 2. Error
0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means of
installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few insignificant
updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had already done, so I
did it again. No dice.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DL

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop

"Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down to
> the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then double
> click. The error message went something like this: "This file does not
> have a program associated with it from performing this action. Create an
> association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way to
> "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came across
> this page:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>
> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>
> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
> already done, so I did it again. No dice.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Charles W Davis

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
DL,

The computer tower is in my office away from the usual devices that require
drivers. It's a Gateway GM54200 desktop. What kinds of drivers should I look
for?

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
> large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop
>
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
>> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down to
>> the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
>> double click. The error message went something like this: "This file does
>> not have a program associated with it from performing this action. Create
>> an association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way
>> to "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came
>> across this page:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>
>> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>>
>> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
>> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
>> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
>> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
>> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
>> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
>> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
>> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
>> already done, so I did it again. No dice.

Charles W Davis

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
On start up, a message says that a driver was not installed by a Policy. It
is called "WinDriver Virtual Device"
"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
> large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop
>
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
>> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down to
>> the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
>> double click. The error message went something like this: "This file does
>> not have a program associated with it from performing this action. Create
>> an association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way
>> to "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came
>> across this page:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>
>> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>>
>> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
>> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
>> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
>> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
>> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
>> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
>> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
>> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
>> already done, so I did it again. No dice.

Charles W Davis

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
All drivers are up to date...
"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
> large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop
>
> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
>> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down to
>> the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
>> double click. The error message went something like this: "This file does
>> not have a program associated with it from performing this action. Create
>> an association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way
>> to "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came
>> across this page:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>
>> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>>
>> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
>> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
>> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
>> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
>> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
>> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
>> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
>> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
>> already done, so I did it again. No dice.

DL

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
You would obtain drivers from Gateway specific to your model
Chipset, vid, sound, lan etc

> DL,
>
> The computer tower is in my office away from the usual devices that
> require drivers. It's a Gateway GM54200 desktop. What kinds of drivers
> should I look for?
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
>> large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop
>>
>> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>>> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
>>> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down
>>> to the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
>>> double click. The error message went something like this: "This file
>>> does not have a program associated with it from performing this action.
>>> Create an association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was
>>> no way to "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I
>>> came across this page:
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>>
>>> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>>>
>>> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
>>> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
>>> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
>>> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
>>> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
>>> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
>>> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
>>> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
>>> already done, so I did it again. No dice.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DL

Re: Can't install Vista SP2
There are many possibilities;
Typically software the emulates a cd/dvd drive might install such a device

A misbehaving driver may well prevent an sp from being installed.
Perhaps a careful examination of Add/Remove might reveal something

> On start up, a message says that a driver was not installed by a Policy.
> It is called "WinDriver Virtual Device"
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Ensure an hardware drivers are updated from makers sites or PC maker if
>> large OEM, eg Dell / HP or Laptop
>>
>> "Charles W Davis" <newsgroup@anthemwebs.com> wrote in message
>>> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
>>> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down
>>> to the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
>>> double click. The error message went something like this: "This file
>>> does not have a program associated with it from performing this action.
>>> Create an association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was
>>> no way to "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I
>>> came across this page:
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>>
>>> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>>>
>>> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
>>> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
>>> scan - nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
>>> cookie. I went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service
>>> Pack 1. It installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack
>>> 2. Error 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means
>>> of installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
>>> insignificant updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had
>>> already done, so I did it again. No dice.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Flavius

Re: Can't install Vista SP2

Charles W Davis;1187415 Wrote:
> Club member's computer. Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. When I first
> picked it up, no shortcut link to a program would work. I drilled down
> the executible files; winword.exe, excel.exe, iexplore.exe and then
> double
> click. The error message went something like this: "This file does not
> have
> a program associated with it from performing this action. Create an
> association in the Set Associtation Control Panel." There was no way
> "restore to a previous... No dice. After a post or search, I came
> across
> this page:
> 'File association fixes for Windows Vista'
> (http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html)
>
> With a start up disk, was able to solve that problem.
>
> Disk Cleanup removed 2.45MB. Uninstalled Trend Micro (subscription had
> expired a year ago!) Installed and updated AVG 9 Free ran a complete
> scan -
> nothing. I installed Malwarebytes and it found one insignificant
> cookie. I
> went to Windows Update, the first update offered was Service Pack 1. It
> installed. I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack 2. Error
> 0x8004100a with a link to a web page that offered several means of
> installing the service pack; Windows Update -- found a few
> insignificant
> updates, download the SP2 installation file which I had already done,
> so I
> did it again. No dice.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow to below article to resolve issue:'Error message when you try to
install updates in Windows Vista, and the installation may fail:
"WBEM_E_CRITICAL_ERROR (0x8004100A)"'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952577)

--
Flavius