New Shell Windows Refuse To Open

Jimmmeh

New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of windows
open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.) then I
come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more - I
can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and I have
a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
situation until I hit this invisible limit again.

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was wondering
if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have this
problem anymore.

Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me nuts!
Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....

Cheers guys, James.
Rock

Re: New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
"Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of
> windows
> open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.) then
> come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more - I
> can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and I
> have
> a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
> situation until I hit this invisible limit again.
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was
> wondering
> if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have this
> problem anymore.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me
> nuts!
> Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....
>
> Cheers guys, James.

It could be an issue with heaps. See this link:

Applications may not run correctly in a Terminal Services environment

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
"Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of
> windows
> open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.) then
> come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more - I
> can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and I
> have
> a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
> situation until I hit this invisible limit again.
>
> I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was
> wondering
> if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have this
> problem anymore.
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me
> nuts!
> Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....
>
> Cheers guys, James.

I also found this one. Don't know if it applies to Vista.

"Out of Memory" error message appears when you have a large number of
programs running
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126962/en-us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Jimmmeh

Re: New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
Thanks Rock, I will give those a go and see if they work!

"Rock" wrote:

> "Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of
> > windows
> > open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.) then
> > come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more - I
> > can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and I
> > have
> > a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
> > situation until I hit this invisible limit again.
> >
> > I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was
> > wondering
> > if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have this
> > problem anymore.
> >
> > Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me
> > nuts!
> > Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....
> >
> > Cheers guys, James.

> I also found this one. Don't know if it applies to Vista.
>
> "Out of Memory" error message appears when you have a large number of
> programs running

> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
might make sure your page file is set to system managed.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Rock" wrote:

> "Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of
> > windows
> > open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.) then
> > come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more - I
> > can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and I
> > have
> > a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
> > situation until I hit this invisible limit again.
> >
> > I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was
> > wondering
> > if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have this
> > problem anymore.
> >
> > Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me
> > nuts!
> > Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....
> >
> > Cheers guys, James.

> I also found this one. Don't know if it applies to Vista.
>
> "Out of Memory" error message appears when you have a large number of
> programs running

> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: New Shell Windows Refuse To Open
"Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Thanks Rock, I will give those a go and see if they work!

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Jimmmeh" <Jimmmeh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > Hey there guys, I am having an odd problem where if I have a lot of
>> > windows
>> > open (explorer windows, program windows, internet explorer tabs etc.)
>> > then
>> > come to a point where Vista starts to refuse to let me load any more -
>> > can't load any new tabs, some menus don't show correctly or at all and
>> > have
>> > a lot of problems! If I close a couple of windows then it remedies the
>> > situation until I hit this invisible limit again.
>> >
>> > I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and I have 2GB of Ram so I was
>> > wondering
>> > if there are any settings anywhere I can change so that I don't have
>> > this
>> > problem anymore.
>> >
>> > Any help would be very much appreciated as it is starting to drive me
>> > nuts!
>> > Oddly I never had this problem on Windows XP....
>> >
>> > Cheers guys, James.

>> I also found this one. Don't know if it applies to Vista.
>>
>> "Out of Memory" error message appears when you have a large number of
>> programs running

Ok, good luck.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]