Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000

anon_278@hotmail.com

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000
I am having major probems with the desktop I bought.

The keyboard skips characters erratically and you sometimes have to
click the mouse a number of times to invoke a command.

It is only a few months old and worked when I first installed it.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000
Are the correct drivers install? I have the Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 with
laser mouse and the drivers supplied where not compatible with Vista. They
needed to be version 6.1. If the drivers are not the problem then I would
certainly be looking at returning it to the shop you purchased it from to
have it checked out. To be honest my Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 was a
little temperamental from the start - not with the keys but with the
wireless connection. While the mouse works fine, it can take anything up to
seven attempts to connect the keyboard wirelessly. The remote wireless box
shows all the lights as active, but when I came to type anything it simply
would not respond. I found this strange considering the keyboard is only 18
inches from the wireless base unit.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

<anon_278@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having major probems with the desktop I bought.
>
> The keyboard skips characters erratically and you sometimes have to
> click the mouse a number of times to invoke a command.
>
> It is only a few months old and worked when I first installed it.

anon_278@hotmail.com

Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000
Yes I installed the 6.1 software when I installed the desktop.

On Sat, 5 May 2007 19:44:55 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Are the correct drivers install? I have the Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 with
>laser mouse and the drivers supplied where not compatible with Vista. They
>needed to be version 6.1. If the drivers are not the problem then I would
>certainly be looking at returning it to the shop you purchased it from to
>have it checked out. To be honest my Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 was a
>little temperamental from the start - not with the keys but with the
>wireless connection. While the mouse works fine, it can take anything up to
>seven attempts to connect the keyboard wirelessly. The remote wireless box
>shows all the lights as active, but when I came to type anything it simply
>would not respond. I found this strange considering the keyboard is only 18
>inches from the wireless base unit.

John Barnett MVP

Re: Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 4000
If you are using the correct drivers then one would start to suspect the
hardware itself. I would take it back to the shop you purchased it from and
ask them to have it thoroughly tested.

Incidentally, have you tried reconnecting the keyboard and mouse to the
wireless base station? If you look underneath the mouse and keyboard you
will see a small white button with the word 'connect' next to it. First
press the button on he base station, so all lights randomly flash, then
after they have settled down to just the one, press the connect button on
the mouse and then on the keyboard. Another thing to check is your batteries
and also the signal strength. You can check both batteries and signal
strength from control panel>keyboard (or Mouse). Click he wireless tab and
it will show you the battery power and signal strength.

If all these work out fine and things such as the repeat speed and character
repeat/cursor blink etc haven't been changed then I'd take the keyboard and
mouse back for further investigation.