System Restore won't work

Graham Newey

System Restore won't work
Hope I'm in right forum.

My OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

On a couple of occasions I've tried to action "System Restore". So far I've
met with NO success.

It seems to go through the motions OK ( if you believe what you see on the
moniter) but when the comp restarts I am bluntly informed that restoration
has NOT taken place.

Doesn't seem a lot of point having a facility like this when it simply will
NOT work!!

Is this some sort of glitch with Vista 64 bit?

Would appreciate any help you can give.

Many thanks,

Graham
--
GPN
SC Tom

Re: System Restore won't work

"Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hope I'm in right forum.
>
> My OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
>
> On a couple of occasions I've tried to action "System Restore". So far
> I've
> met with NO success.
>
> It seems to go through the motions OK ( if you believe what you see on the
> moniter) but when the comp restarts I am bluntly informed that restoration
> has NOT taken place.
>
> Doesn't seem a lot of point having a facility like this when it simply
> will
> NOT work!!
>
> Is this some sort of glitch with Vista 64 bit?
>
> Would appreciate any help you can give.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham
> --
> GPN

Do you have any Symantec or Zone Alarm security products installed, such as
firewall or anti-virus? Anything like that can interfere with a successful
restore.

SC Tom

Graham Newey

Re: System Restore won't work
Thanks SC Tom for your time.

I use Zone Alarm Free.

I was about to write an adjunct to my initial post when I noticed your reply.

I was going to say that when attempting to run "System Restore" I had failed
to follow the instructions to turn off all running progs etc.

It occured to me that that might be the answer to my problem. NOT SO.

Switched "everything" off and ran System Restore. Waited with bated breath.
Good job I didn't hold it!! No go---did NOT restore.

This is frustrating. I don't NEED to use SR but it is annoying to have this
facility on my new, shiny, black computer and not be able to get it to
operate at all.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Graham
--
GPN

"SC Tom" wrote:

> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hope I'm in right forum.
> >
> > My OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
> >
> > On a couple of occasions I've tried to action "System Restore". So far
> > I've
> > met with NO success.
> >
> > It seems to go through the motions OK ( if you believe what you see on the
> > moniter) but when the comp restarts I am bluntly informed that restoration
> > has NOT taken place.
> >
> > Doesn't seem a lot of point having a facility like this when it simply
> > will
> > NOT work!!
> >
> > Is this some sort of glitch with Vista 64 bit?
> >
> > Would appreciate any help you can give.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Graham
> > --
> > GPN

> Do you have any Symantec or Zone Alarm security products installed, such as
> firewall or anti-virus? Anything like that can interfere with a successful
> restore.
>
> SC Tom
>
> .

Re: System Restore won't work
Turn off System Restore then turn it on.

--
..
--
> Thanks SC Tom for your time.
>
> I use Zone Alarm Free.
>
> I was about to write an adjunct to my initial post when I noticed your
> reply.
>
> I was going to say that when attempting to run "System Restore" I had
> failed
> to follow the instructions to turn off all running progs etc.
>
> It occured to me that that might be the answer to my problem. NOT SO.
>
> Switched "everything" off and ran System Restore. Waited with bated
> breath.
> Good job I didn't hold it!! No go---did NOT restore.
>
> This is frustrating. I don't NEED to use SR but it is annoying to have
> this
> facility on my new, shiny, black computer and not be able to get it to
> operate at all.
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Graham
> --
> GPN
>

> "SC Tom" wrote:
>

>> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hope I'm in right forum.
>> >
>> > My OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
>> >
>> > On a couple of occasions I've tried to action "System Restore". So far
>> > I've
>> > met with NO success.
>> >
>> > It seems to go through the motions OK ( if you believe what you see on
>> > the
>> > moniter) but when the comp restarts I am bluntly informed that
>> > restoration
>> > has NOT taken place.
>> >
>> > Doesn't seem a lot of point having a facility like this when it simply
>> > will
>> > NOT work!!
>> >
>> > Is this some sort of glitch with Vista 64 bit?
>> >
>> > Would appreciate any help you can give.
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Graham
>> > --
>> > GPN

>> Do you have any Symantec or Zone Alarm security products installed, such
>> as
>> firewall or anti-virus? Anything like that can interfere with a
>> successful
>> restore.
>>
>> SC Tom
>>
>> .

SC Tom

Re: System Restore won't work
When ZA is the cause of the problem, it not only has to be turned off, but
the "Start with Windows" option has to be turned off first. If the restore
is successful, it'll start again on its own anyhow.
Another method that I've had success with is running SR in Safe Mode with
Command Prompt. After booting up, type in
c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. It'll bring up the
SR UI allowing you to (hopefully) restore to a previous date.

SC Tom

"Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks SC Tom for your time.
>
> I use Zone Alarm Free.
>
> I was about to write an adjunct to my initial post when I noticed your
> reply.
>
> I was going to say that when attempting to run "System Restore" I had
> failed
> to follow the instructions to turn off all running progs etc.
>
> It occured to me that that might be the answer to my problem. NOT SO.
>
> Switched "everything" off and ran System Restore. Waited with bated
> breath.
> Good job I didn't hold it!! No go---did NOT restore.
>
> This is frustrating. I don't NEED to use SR but it is annoying to have
> this
> facility on my new, shiny, black computer and not be able to get it to
> operate at all.
>
> Any further help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Graham
> --
> GPN
>

> "SC Tom" wrote:
>

>> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hope I'm in right forum.
>> >
>> > My OS is Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
>> >
>> > On a couple of occasions I've tried to action "System Restore". So far
>> > I've
>> > met with NO success.
>> >
>> > It seems to go through the motions OK ( if you believe what you see on
>> > the
>> > moniter) but when the comp restarts I am bluntly informed that
>> > restoration
>> > has NOT taken place.
>> >
>> > Doesn't seem a lot of point having a facility like this when it simply
>> > will
>> > NOT work!!
>> >
>> > Is this some sort of glitch with Vista 64 bit?
>> >
>> > Would appreciate any help you can give.
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Graham
>> > --
>> > GPN

>> Do you have any Symantec or Zone Alarm security products installed, such
>> as
>> firewall or anti-virus? Anything like that can interfere with a
>> successful
>> restore.
>>
>> SC Tom
>>
>> .

Graham Newey

Re: System Restore won't work
Thank you annonymous and SC Tom for your comments.

Panic over. Works in Safe Mode fine.

I will turning SR on and off to see if it WILL run in Win.

Regards to both,

Graham
--
GPN

"SC Tom" wrote:

> When ZA is the cause of the problem, it not only has to be turned off, but
> the "Start with Windows" option has to be turned off first. If the restore
> is successful, it'll start again on its own anyhow.
> Another method that I've had success with is running SR in Safe Mode with
> Command Prompt. After booting up, type in
> c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. It'll bring up the
> SR UI allowing you to (hopefully) restore to a previous date.
>
> SC Tom
>
> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks SC Tom for your time.
> >
> > I use Zone Alarm Free.
> >
> > I was about to write an adjunct to my initial post when I noticed your
> > reply.
> >
> > I was going to say that when attempting to run "System Restore" I had
> > failed
> > to follow the instructions to turn off all running progs etc.
> >
> > It occured to me that that might be the answer to my problem. NOT SO.
> >
> > Switched "everything" off and ran System Restore. Waited with bated
> > breath.
> > Good job I didn't hold it!! No go---did NOT restore.
> >
> > This is frustrating. I don't NEED to use SR but it is annoying to have
> > this
> > facility on my new, shiny, black computer and not be able to get it to
> > operate at all.
> >
> > Any further help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Graham
> > --
> > GPN
> >

> > "SC Tom" wrote:
> >

> >> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Do you have any Symantec or Zone Alarm security products installed, such
> >> as
> >> firewall or anti-virus? Anything like that can interfere with a
> >> successful
> >> restore.
> >>
> >> SC Tom
> >>
> >> .
> >>

> .

SC Tom

Re: System Restore won't work
If you turn it off, then back on, you will lose all your previous restore
points. Just wanted to let you know that.

SC Tom

> Thank you annonymous and SC Tom for your comments.
>
> Panic over. Works in Safe Mode fine.
>
> I will turning SR on and off to see if it WILL run in Win.
>
> Regards to both,
>
> Graham
> --
> GPN
>

> "SC Tom" wrote:
>
>> When ZA is the cause of the problem, it not only has to be turned off,
>> but
>> the "Start with Windows" option has to be turned off first. If the
>> restore
>> is successful, it'll start again on its own anyhow.
>> Another method that I've had success with is running SR in Safe Mode with
>> Command Prompt. After booting up, type in
>> c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. It'll bring up
>> the
>> SR UI allowing you to (hopefully) restore to a previous date.
>>
>> SC Tom
>>
>> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks SC Tom for your time.
>> >
>> > I use Zone Alarm Free.
>> >
>> > I was about to write an adjunct to my initial post when I noticed your
>> > reply.
>> >
>> > I was going to say that when attempting to run "System Restore" I had
>> > failed
>> > to follow the instructions to turn off all running progs etc.
>> >
>> > It occured to me that that might be the answer to my problem. NOT SO.
>> >
>> > Switched "everything" off and ran System Restore. Waited with bated
>> > breath.
>> > Good job I didn't hold it!! No go---did NOT restore.
>> >
>> > This is frustrating. I don't NEED to use SR but it is annoying to have
>> > this
>> > facility on my new, shiny, black computer and not be able to get it to
>> > operate at all.
>> >
>> > Any further help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Graham
>> > --
>> > GPN

>> .

Graham Newey

Re: System Restore won't work
Thanks Tom. Did realise that. As I can do it in SM, I'll delay the turning
off and on!!

Thanks again,

Graham
--
GPN

"SC Tom" wrote:

> If you turn it off, then back on, you will lose all your previous restore
> points. Just wanted to let you know that.
>
> SC Tom
>
> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you annonymous and SC Tom for your comments.
> >
> > Panic over. Works in Safe Mode fine.
> >
> > I will turning SR on and off to see if it WILL run in Win.
> >
> > Regards to both,
> >
> > Graham
> > --
> > GPN
> >

> > "SC Tom" wrote:
> >
> >> When ZA is the cause of the problem, it not only has to be turned off,
> >> but
> >> the "Start with Windows" option has to be turned off first. If the
> >> restore
> >> is successful, it'll start again on its own anyhow.
> >> Another method that I've had success with is running SR in Safe Mode with
> >> Command Prompt. After booting up, type in
> >> c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. It'll bring up
> >> the
> >> SR UI allowing you to (hopefully) restore to a previous date.
> >>
> >> SC Tom
> >>
> >> "Graham Newey" <GrahamNewey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .