Can't open or save files

rfinnct

Can't open or save files
I'm not sure exactly at what point this started (if it was after installing
software or if it just happened on its own for some reason), but other than
using Windows Explorer, I cannot open or save a file.
If I am in Word or Photoshop or any other program, as soon as I attempt to
open or save something, the window comes up which should let me choose the
folder I want to open something from or save something to (it's defaulted at
the normal "Documents" folder), the program I'm using locks up.

Like I said, I can access all the folders seemingly OK through Win.
Explorer, it's just when I'm trying to access/save files through other
programs that it freezes.

I don't know if it's the folder itself, or something in the folder (I've had
the computer less than 2 weeks, and the problem arose about a week ago, so
I've barely got anything actually IN the folder yet), maybe a setting that's
wrong, or could it be a conflicting program? I have no idea!

The only error message I've ever recieved in all the times it's frozen was
once it said "Windows shell common DLL is not responding"... all the other
times there seemed to be no feedback as to what was going wrong.

If the information helps, I'm running Vista Home Premium edition... if any
other info about the computer is needed to analyze the situation, please let
me know and I'll gladly supply it.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
ayejay0601

RE: Can't open or save files
Hey-

I have the same problem! Did you find a solution? I have a couple of
theories based on other stuff I read on the web: First, it has something to
do with HP's publish-to-web. If you have that--uninstall. It will help, but
not completely solve the problem (you will still have the problem
occassionally--especially with the my documents folder) Second it has
something to do with the Icons--its trying to load a certain type of
real-time Icon and failing--not sure which one. Anyway, hope this helps and
please let me know if you find a solution. I lost a lot of work today, b/c I
was not able to save my word doc.

"rfinnct" wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly at what point this started (if it was after installing
> software or if it just happened on its own for some reason), but other than
> using Windows Explorer, I cannot open or save a file.
> If I am in Word or Photoshop or any other program, as soon as I attempt to
> open or save something, the window comes up which should let me choose the
> folder I want to open something from or save something to (it's defaulted at
> the normal "Documents" folder), the program I'm using locks up.
>
> Like I said, I can access all the folders seemingly OK through Win.
> Explorer, it's just when I'm trying to access/save files through other
> programs that it freezes.
>
> I don't know if it's the folder itself, or something in the folder (I've had
> the computer less than 2 weeks, and the problem arose about a week ago, so
> I've barely got anything actually IN the folder yet), maybe a setting that's
> wrong, or could it be a conflicting program? I have no idea!
>
> The only error message I've ever recieved in all the times it's frozen was
> once it said "Windows shell common DLL is not responding"... all the other
> times there seemed to be no feedback as to what was going wrong.
>
> If the information helps, I'm running Vista Home Premium edition... if any
> other info about the computer is needed to analyze the situation, please let
> me know and I'll gladly supply it.
>
> Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

chele

RE: Can't open or save files
Hi
I'm having a similar problem i got windows vista with a new computer so
nothing else on it and it has been fine but just now it will not open a word
file at all it just says not responding,
did you get any advice?

"rfinnct" wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly at what point this started (if it was after installing
> software or if it just happened on its own for some reason), but other than
> using Windows Explorer, I cannot open or save a file.
> If I am in Word or Photoshop or any other program, as soon as I attempt to
> open or save something, the window comes up which should let me choose the
> folder I want to open something from or save something to (it's defaulted at
> the normal "Documents" folder), the program I'm using locks up.
>
> Like I said, I can access all the folders seemingly OK through Win.
> Explorer, it's just when I'm trying to access/save files through other
> programs that it freezes.
>
> I don't know if it's the folder itself, or something in the folder (I've had
> the computer less than 2 weeks, and the problem arose about a week ago, so
> I've barely got anything actually IN the folder yet), maybe a setting that's
> wrong, or could it be a conflicting program? I have no idea!
>
> The only error message I've ever recieved in all the times it's frozen was
> once it said "Windows shell common DLL is not responding"... all the other
> times there seemed to be no feedback as to what was going wrong.
>
> If the information helps, I'm running Vista Home Premium edition... if any
> other info about the computer is needed to analyze the situation, please let
> me know and I'll gladly supply it.
>
> Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rock

Re: Can't open or save files
"chele" <chele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi
> I'm having a similar problem i got windows vista with a new computer so
> nothing else on it and it has been fine but just now it will not open a
> word
> file at all it just says not responding,
> did you get any advice?

If it had been working and this was a sudden change have you tried a System
Restore to a point with things worked?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

kellyky

Re: Can't open or save files
hey, it happened to me too, same situation only that i can't open my excel
file previously saved in xp it was fine at start. i also tried system restore
but it doesn't work there's also problem with system restore, when system
restart there's this message "unexpected error occur can't complete system
restore setting not changed".. this really giving me headache problem happen
in files that i use the most.. help...

"Rock" wrote:

> "chele" <chele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > Hi
> > I'm having a similar problem i got windows vista with a new computer so
> > nothing else on it and it has been fine but just now it will not open a
> > word
> > file at all it just says not responding,
> > did you get any advice?

> If it had been working and this was a sudden change have you tried a System
> Restore to a point with things worked?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

programmerintraining

Re: Can't open or save files

The same thing happens to me, mostly with FireFox, Visual Studio,
Microsoft Works Spreadsheet, and a few others. I emptied a folder it
locked up in and after that, it has never locked up there. But I don't
want to keep it empty, and anyway, it happens all over the place.

I don't know what to to, other than hope that SP1 fixes it.

--
programmerintraining
programmerintraining's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47403

http://forums.techarena.in

PpwnzURface

Re: Can't open or save files

I was having the same problem so I tried your icon theory and it fixed
the problem for me. All I did was install Stardock Icon packager, put a
new set of icons on then switched back to vista default icons and viola,
problem solved... for me anyway. Just for good measure I uninstalled the
program and the problem was still fixed. I'm sure there is probably a
better way to do this but I am lazy and like cool looking things so this
one worked for me.

ayejay0601;2827350 Wrote:
> Hey-
>
> I have the same problem! Did you find a solution? I have a couple of
> theories based on other stuff I read on the web: First, it has
> something to
> do with HP's publish-to-web. If you have that--uninstall. It will
> help, but
> not completely solve the problem (you will still have the problem
> occassionally--especially with the my documents folder) Second it has
> something to do with the Icons--its trying to load a certain type of
> real-time Icon and failing--not sure which one. Anyway, hope this
> helps and
> please let me know if you find a solution. I lost a lot of work today,
> b/c I
> was not able to save my word doc.

--
PpwnzURface
PpwnzURface's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ppwnzurface.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/741458.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

roscoe942

Re: Can't open or save files

--
roscoe942
roscoe942's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110019.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/741458.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

TryingtoHelp

Re: Can't open or save files

Open a new computer account and it will be fixed it worked with me

--
TryingtoHelp
TryingtoHelp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/143615.htm