Can I Restore Files From Backup Again?

Kruzin Rican

Can I Restore Files From Backup Again?

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct topic thread.

System: Vista 32bit service pack 2

Here's my issue:

-I backed up up my files to an external drive;

-Reset Computer to factory setting because of a computer virus of some
sort;

-Restored files from backup but did not reconfigure my computer to have
the same user accounts at first, however, I did reset up those accounts
in order to access the files.

I thought I cut the folder/files and pasted them into one of my other
accounts (the account that I intended to keep) and then I deleted the
old account that I no longer wanted.

After reviewing myh files later I noticed that the files that I wanted,
some of them were not there.

Since I still have the backup file saved to my external drive I thought
it would just be a matter of restoring files from backup again, but I
find that I can't do that.

The files are clearly still in the backup folder, but they are now
inaccessible as my computer states that backup location not available.

There are really just a few documents that I want, but can't find an
easy way to retrieve them.

Any advice? Thanks so much everyone.

regards,

Carlos

--
Kruzin Rican
R. C. White

Re: Can I Restore Files From Backup Again?
Hi, Carlos.

Backup/Restore is definitely NOT my strong suit but, since nobody else has
responded, maybe I can get the ball rolling by asking a couple of questions
that I'm sure would be asked by those who do know about this topic.

> System: Vista 32bit service pack 2

Which Vista 32-bit? Home Basic? Ultimate? As I recall, some have
Backup/Restore included, some don't.

> -I backed up up my files to an external drive;

What kind of external drive? Which application did you use? Vista's
built-in backup? Acronis? Something else?

> The files are clearly still in the backup folder, but they are now
> inaccessible as my computer states that backup location not available.

How are you seeing those files? Windows Explorer? What does Disk
Management say about that external HDD?

Is this a permissions question? Do you need to take ownership of that
folder? Or that drive?

Sorry I can't be more help, but this added information might spark some
ideas for the backup/restore gurus who frequent this NG.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX