Lost graphics card/monitor following Microsoft update

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

Lost graphics card/monitor following Microsoft update
Hi folks! I own an HP HDX Premium Series, Vista Home Premium

I applied some recommended update ("nVidia - Display - nVidia GeForce 9600m
GT" and since then my graphics card has gone all wonky, and so has my
"monitor" (i.e. laptop screen). It seems to have defaulted to some basic
generic drivers, so that I can use my laptop but can't do anything involving
graphics (I can't even play Spider Solitaire... now that's pretty basic!)

I tried rolling back the driver, going back to an old restore point.... no
go.

What should be my next step? Thanks in advance for your help!

Carmen

SC Tom

Re: Lost graphics card/monitor following Microsoft update

"Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Hi folks! I own an HP HDX Premium Series, Vista Home Premium
>
> I applied some recommended update ("nVidia - Display - nVidia GeForce
> 9600m GT" and since then my graphics card has gone all wonky, and so has
> my "monitor" (i.e. laptop screen). It seems to have defaulted to some
> basic generic drivers, so that I can use my laptop but can't do anything
> involving graphics (I can't even play Spider Solitaire... now that's
> pretty basic!)
>
> I tried rolling back the driver, going back to an old restore point.... no
> go.
>
> What should be my next step? Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Carmen

Your best bet is to download the video driver from HP, uninstall the MS
update, then install the driver you got from HP. There may be a few reboots
in between each step, but that should take care of it.

SC Tom

DL

Re: Lost graphics card/monitor following Microsoft update
And amment your MS Update settings to install critical updates *only* and
NOT driver updates

"Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <seegod1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Hi folks! I own an HP HDX Premium Series, Vista Home Premium
>
> I applied some recommended update ("nVidia - Display - nVidia GeForce
> 9600m GT" and since then my graphics card has gone all wonky, and so has
> my "monitor" (i.e. laptop screen). It seems to have defaulted to some
> basic generic drivers, so that I can use my laptop but can't do anything
> involving graphics (I can't even play Spider Solitaire... now that's
> pretty basic!)
>
> I tried rolling back the driver, going back to an old restore point.... no
> go.
>
> What should be my next step? Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Carmen

Ǝиçεl

RE: Lost graphics card/monitor following Microsoft update

The first step is to remember famous words of wisdom: if it ain't broke,
don't fix it!

The second step is to NEVER do an upgrade with anything that didn't come
from the manufacturer or a trusted source..

Do *not* get hardware updates from the Windows/Microsoft updates web page
unless your hardware happens to be Microsoft manufacturered... Always get the
hardware drivers (when you need them) from the actual manufactureя of said
product.
-=-

<http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600m_gt_us.html>
-=-