Any Software to Analyze Hard Disk Capacity?

Jungleyes

Any Software to Analyze Hard Disk Capacity?

During the past few weeks I have faced the problem of lost some GBs from
my Hard Disk! My Hard Disk's Capacity is 500 Gbs! However, when I add
together Program Files, Documents and Settings and any other leftovers
they don't reach even the amount of 350 Gbs! So, I reckon that I have
hidden (lost) some Gbs in my Hard Disk! In the past I used a software
that used to analyze my Hard Disk Data i.e. Program Files = 100 Gbs, My
Documents = 120 Gbs etc...
Does anybody knows any software to do this and to recover the lost data
(capacity) if possible!
Thanx in advance!!!
Windows Vista 32bit Home
2 Gbs RAM
512 Mb Geforce 9500GT

--
Jungleyes
whs

Re: Any Software to Analyze Hard Disk Capacity?

Well, that is a commono misunderstanding.

1. Your 500GB (decimal) capacity shows as 465GB (binary) in the system.
2. To get a true count of all the files run WinDirStat ( 'WinDirStat -
Windows Directory Statistics' (http://windirstat.info/) ). Only than you
will have a true count.
3. Finally, up to 15% of your OS partition is used for shadowstorage -
and that you do not see in the above. For a better understanding I have
made this write-up:

With each install and uninstall, Vista writes a shadow (restore point)
of about 1GB - plus one is written each day. For that purpose Vista
reserves 15% of your OS disk partition and allocates/uses it as needed.
Find Command Prompt (in All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt),
right click on it and Open as Administrator. Into the little black
window type VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE and hit ENTER. It will show 3
numbers:
Allocated - that is the amount that it has grabbed from your OS
partition at this time
Used - this is the amount currently used
Maximum - this is the ultimate amount it will allocate and use
Once you reach "maximum", it will reuse the space deleting the oldest
shadows for the storage of the newest shadows. With e.g. an appr. 200Gb
of OS partition you should expect a maximum of 30GBs that are reserved
for the system and that you cannot use. If your OS partition is larger
or smaller, the shadowstorage will be accordingly (always 15% max.) But
the restore points (shadows) are required the day you need to do a
system restore

PS: If you need to reduce the amount of shadowstorage ( which I do not
recommend), you find the procedure here:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/04...ystem-restore/

--
whs
Jungleyes

whs;1171292 Wrote:
> Well, that is a commono misunderstanding.
>
> 1. Your 500GB (decimal) capacity shows as 465GB (binary) in the system.
> 2. To get a true count of all the files run WinDirStat ( 'WinDirStat -
> Windows Directory Statistics' (http://windirstat.info/) ). Only than you
> will have a true count.
> 3. Finally, up to 15% of your OS partition is used for shadowstorage -
> and that you do not see in the above. For a better understanding I have
> made this write-up:
>
> With each install and uninstall, Vista writes a shadow (restore point)
> of about 1GB - plus one is written each day. For that purpose Vista
> reserves 15% of your OS disk partition and allocates/uses it as needed.
> Find Command Prompt (in All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt),
> right click on it and Open as Administrator. Into the little black
> window type VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE and hit ENTER. It will show 3
> numbers:
> Allocated - that is the amount that it has grabbed from your OS
> partition at this time
> Used - this is the amount currently used
> Maximum - this is the ultimate amount it will allocate and use
> Once you reach "maximum", it will reuse the space deleting the oldest
> shadows for the storage of the newest shadows. With e.g. an appr. 200Gb
> of OS partition you should expect a maximum of 30GBs that are reserved
> for the system and that you cannot use. If your OS partition is larger
> or smaller, the shadowstorage will be accordingly (always 15% max.) But
> the restore points (shadows) are required the day you need to do a
> system restore
>
> [font=Arial]PS: If you need to reduce the amount of shadowstorage (
> which I do not recommend), you find the procedure here: ']Download
> Squad'
> (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/04...ystem-restore/[/FONT)

Ok! I did everything as you said and here are the results which as told
a Hard Disk with 500Gb storage is approximately 465Gb in binary1
However, the WinDirtStat shows that the capacity is only 276,9 Gb! Is it
normal or do I miss something (I mean I don't
understand)16594

16595 ?

|Filename: Καταγραφή2.JPG|
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16595|

Jungleyes
whs

Re: Any Software to Analyze Hard Disk Capacity?

Here is how your numbers compute:
1. total disk space 465GB
2. total files 276.9GB (WinDirStat shows the sum off all files/folders
- not disk space)
3. allocated shadowstorage 52.7
4. Free space (1) minus (2) minus(3) = 115GB - but if you have any
other disk partitions (e.g. a recovery partition), you must subtract
that from the 115GB . Does that compute?

--
whs
John

Re: Any Software to Analyze Hard Disk Capacity?
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U.../DiskData.html

You need to see the efficiency of your data storage. That's where the
missing space usually is.

John;1171990 Wrote:
> 'DiskData free download. A compact explorer-like application that
> conveniently analyzes disk space utilization. Selecting a disk volume or
> folder displays a summary of its con...'
> (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U.../DiskData.html)
>
> You need to see the efficiency of your data storage. That's where the
> missing space usually is.
>
> "Jungleyes" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:cf67923f351aa1a90c6a1e2963f85f0f@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > During the past few weeks I have faced the problem of lost some GBs

> > from
> > > my Hard Disk! My Hard Disk's Capacity is 500 Gbs! However, when I add
> > > together Program Files, Documents and Settings and any other

> > leftovers
> > > they don't reach even the amount of 350 Gbs! So, I reckon that I have
> > > hidden (lost) some Gbs in my Hard Disk! In the past I used a software
> > > that used to analyze my Hard Disk Data i.e. Program Files = 100 Gbs,

> > My
> > > Documents = 120 Gbs etc...
> > > Does anybody knows any software to do this and to recover the lost

> > data
> > > (capacity) if possible!
> > > Thanx in advance!!!
> > > Windows Vista 32bit Home
> > > 2 Gbs RAM
> > > 512 Mb Geforce 9500GT
> > >

> > > --
> > > Jungleyes > >

I don't know what that is supposed to mean: "efficiency of your data
storage".

--
whs
Jungleyes

whs;1171787 Wrote:
> Here is how your numbers compute:
> 1. total disk space 465GB
> 2. total files 276.9GB (WinDirStat shows the sum off all files/folders
> - not disk space)
> 3. allocated shadowstorage 52.7
> 4. Free space (1) minus (2) minus(3) = 115GB - but if you have any
> other disk partitions (e.g. a recovery partition), you must subtract
> that from the 115GB . Does that compute?

I did the math and should be 135.4 Gb instead of 115 Gb that you said
and which my system shows anyway! I do not now realize where are the
135.4-115=20.4 Gb remaining!

--
Jungleyes
NetLink_Blue

whs wrote:
> John;1171990 Wrote:
>> 'DiskData free download. A compact explorer-like application that
>> conveniently analyzes disk space utilization. Selecting a disk volume or
>> folder displays a summary of its con...'
>> (http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/U.../DiskData.html)
>>
>> You need to see the efficiency of your data storage. That's where the
>> missing space usually is.
>>
>> "Jungleyes" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:cf67923f351aa1a90c6a1e2963f85f0f@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
>>> from
>>> leftovers
>>> My
>>> data

> I don't know what that is supposed to mean: "efficiency of your data
> storage".

Google for "cluster size". Cluster size = smallest amount of space used
for storage on a hard-disk.

If you save a 2-byte file into a 4-KB cluster on your HD, you end up
with mostly empty space beyond the actual 2-bytes worth of data.

Lots of small files will "waste" more storage space than larger files.

electricity is our friend,

Jungleyes;1172615 Wrote:
> > whs;1171787 Wrote:
> > Here is how your numbers compute:
> > 1. total disk space 465GB
> > 2. total files 276.9GB (WinDirStat shows the sum off all files/folders
> > - not disk space)
> > 3. allocated shadowstorage 52.7
> > 4. Free space (1) minus (2) minus(3) = 115GB - but if you have any
> > other disk partitions (e.g. a recovery partition), you must subtract
> > that from the 115GB . Does that compute?> >

> I did the math and should be 135.4 Gb instead of 115 Gb that you said
> and which my system shows anyway! I do not now realize where are the
> 135.4-115=20.4 Gb remaining!

Right, my bad. My numbers got scrambled. Forget the 115. It should be
135.4 - is that what is shown as freespace?
If your system shows 115 (or maybe I misunderstood what you said), then
the question is whether you have another partition on that disk - maybe
even a hidden partition.

--
whs
Jungleyes

whs;1172690 Wrote:
> > > Here is how your numbers compute:
> > > 1. total disk space 465GB
> > > 2. total files 276.9GB (WinDirStat shows the sum off all files/folders
> > > - not disk space)
> > > 3. allocated shadowstorage 52.7
> > > 4. Free space (1) minus (2) minus(3) = 115GB - but if you have any
> > > other disk partitions (e.g. a recovery partition), you must subtract
> > > that from the 115GB . Does that compute?> > > >

> > I did the math and should be 135.4 Gb instead of 115 Gb that you
> > said and which my system shows anyway! I do not now realize where
> > are the 135.4-115=20.4 Gb remaining!> >

> Right, my bad. My numbers got scrambled. Forget the 115. It should be
> 135.4 - is that what is shown as freespace?
> If your system shows 115 (or maybe I misunderstood what you said),
> then the question is whether you have another partition on that disk -
> maybe even a hidden partition.

Actually, it shows 115 Gb so I think somewhere 20.4 Gb are somewhere in
my Hard Drive ! I do not have another partition, is any other way to
find if do I have a hidden one? Is not the matter that 20.4 Gb will save
my life but I would like to know!!!
Thanx!

--
Jungleyes