eternal thinking

j lunis

eternal thinking
Vista Home Premium 32
Recently my pc seems to be 'thinking' almost constantly. That is, the
hour-glass equivalent seems to always be active as if its trying to open
an app or complete a task. How do I find out what it is trying to do?
Malke

Re: eternal thinking
j lunis wrote:

> Vista Home Premium 32
> Recently my pc seems to be 'thinking' almost constantly. That is, the
> hour-glass equivalent seems to always be active as if its trying to open
> an app or complete a task. How do I find out what it is trying to do?

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

For a real-time picture of what is going on, you can use the free Process
Monitor:

See what is running at Startup with the free Autoruns:

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

MilesAhead

Re: eternal thinking

j lunis;1169876 Wrote:
> Vista Home Premium 32
> Recently my pc seems to be 'thinking' almost constantly. That is, the
> hour-glass equivalent seems to always be active as if its trying to
> open
> an app or complete a task. How do I find out what it is trying to do?

Open Task Manager and sort on CPU usage. See what process is hogging
everything. If it's not obvious then use other diagnostic tools as
*Malke* suggested.

Also if you run with automatic updates allowed to just install
unsupervised then it's tough to get a feel for your machine. I'm a
believer in only changing one thing at a time. If you do put on
updates, I'd recommend doing it manually, see if things seem ok for
awhile, then do another one. If you change 8 things at once it makes it
that much tougher to track down what happened. If you change one thing,
stuff goes bad, chances of fixing it right away are a lot higher.

--
MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
j lunis

Re: eternal thinking
MilesAhead wrote:
> j lunis;1169876 Wrote:
>> Vista Home Premium 32
>> Recently my pc seems to be 'thinking' almost constantly. That is, the
>> hour-glass equivalent seems to always be active as if its trying to
>> open
>> an app or complete a task. How do I find out what it is trying to do?

> Open Task Manager and sort on CPU usage. See what process is hogging
> everything. If it's not obvious then use other diagnostic tools as
> *Malke* suggested.
>
> Also if you run with automatic updates allowed to just install
> unsupervised then it's tough to get a feel for your machine. I'm a
> believer in only changing one thing at a time. If you do put on
> updates, I'd recommend doing it manually, see if things seem ok for
> awhile, then do another one. If you change 8 things at once it makes it
> that much tougher to track down what happened. If you change one thing,
> stuff goes bad, chances of fixing it right away are a lot higher.

OK, I did that. Two apps seem to be related to the 'thinking.' First,
though, I said eternal thinking. Not quite right. It blinks on and off
- thinking for a few seconds, not for a few seconds. The app that seems
to change memory use with each on/off is rundll32 - Windows Host
Process. The other app that changes frequently with the on/off but not
every time is ccsvc??? - Symantec Service Framework. What have I learned?
MilesAhead

Re: eternal thinking

j lunis;1172606 Wrote:
> MilesAhead wrote:> > >
> > > the
> > > do?> > > > >
> > > Open Task Manager and sort on CPU usage. See what process is

> > hogging
> > > everything. If it's not obvious then use other diagnostic tools

> > as
> > > *Malke* suggested.
> > >
> > > Also if you run with automatic updates allowed to just install
> > > unsupervised then it's tough to get a feel for your machine. I'm

> > > believer in only changing one thing at a time. If you do put on
> > > updates, I'd recommend doing it manually, see if things seem ok

> > for
> > > awhile, then do another one. If you change 8 things at once it

> > makes it
> > > that much tougher to track down what happened. If you change one

> > thing,
> > > stuff goes bad, chances of fixing it right away are a lot higher.

> First,
> though, I said eternal thinking. Not quite right. It blinks on and
> off
> - thinking for a few seconds, not for a few seconds. The app that
> seems
> to change memory use with each on/off is rundll32 - Windows Host
> Process. The other app that changes frequently with the on/off but
> not
> every time is ccsvc??? - Symantec Service Framework. What have I
> learned?

With RunDLL you have to see what DLL it is running. It just loads a
DLL into memory to run it(see tutorials how to use built in Task Manager
or use a 3rd party one like DTask or one of the SysInternals process
monitors/explorers.) With Symantec, if you have not paid for a
subscription and are just running it as it came preinstalled(if it did)
I would go to their site and download the appropriate removal tool.
Take it all off. See if the problem goes away. If you paid them, then
I'd get support from them.

There are several good free av programs around. If you like the
Symantec and want to keep it then I'd check out their forum and seek a
solution. If you find out what both those processes are and remove them
but the problem persists, post back.

As alternative to av since you are running 32 bit, you can use
Sandboxie. In fact if you go to Bits Du Jour I think it has a 51% off
deal. I've been using it for years. Unfortunately it doesn't run on 64
bit systems. But it works on my 32 bit Vista,XP and W7 just fine.