Can a Vista Startup Repair last 5 hours?

John Harris

Can a Vista Startup Repair last 5 hours?
I began a Startup Repair more than five hours ago. Surely this can't be
right. If I shut down and try to Restore to an Earlier Point, could this
make things worse?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Can a Vista Startup Repair last 5 hours?
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:11:54 +0100, "John Harris"
<jharris22@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I began a Startup Repair more than five hours ago. Surely this can't be
> right. If I shut down and try to Restore to an Earlier Point, could this
> make things worse?

What do you mean by a "startup repair"? Exactly what did you do?

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
SC Tom

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:11:54 +0100, "John Harris"
> <jharris22@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I began a Startup Repair more than five hours ago. Surely this can't be
>> right. If I shut down and try to Restore to an Earlier Point, could this
>> make things worse?

> What do you mean by a "startup repair"? Exactly what did you do?
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Read his first post at 10:44AM today. Or, better yet, here:

"I installed SP1 onto a laptop and after about three quarters of an hour
into
the process, the laptop switched itself off. I restarted and got a choice
between Repair or Start Windows normally. I made the mistake of picking the
second option. A huge series of files began to be opened, with the names of
each flashing on the screen. Then it seemed to get stuck on a file in the
registry. Or it may have been opening a long series of files with the same
address because I couldn't see the end of the filenames.

At this point I restarted and picked the F8 option. I chose the Repair
option from a list of about 8 options (including Restore to an earlier
point). This led once again to my original choice of Repair or restart
normally. I now picked Repair. That was about three hours ago. The repair
process still appears to be going ahead.

Do I just have to be patient, or has the repair system stalled?

Thanks for any suggestions.

JH "

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:47:04 -0400, "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:11:54 +0100, "John Harris"
> > <jharris22@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I began a Startup Repair more than five hours ago. Surely this can't be
> >> right. If I shut down and try to Restore to an Earlier Point, could this
> >> make things worse?

> > What do you mean by a "startup repair"? Exactly what did you do?
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Read his first post at 10:44AM today. Or, better yet, here:
>
> "I installed SP1 onto a laptop and after about three quarters of an hour
> into
> the process, the laptop switched itself off. I restarted and got a choice
> between Repair or Start Windows normally. "

Thanks, but for John Harris's benefit, let me explain several things:

1. If you start a new thread, rather than reply to an existing one,
it's exceedingly difficult for someone reading the message to
associate the two. Once you ask a question, all follow-up messages
should be by replying to the existing thread, not by posting a new
message.

2. If there was a previous message, and you don't quote any of it,
it's exceedingly difficult to associate the two. Many of us here (me,
for example) don't save already-read messages, and without a quote, a
message can be very hard to understand.

3. What you did is called a "repair installation," not a "startup
repair." I know that for many people, it's very hard to know what the
right terminology is, but I urge you to work hard to be sure you are
calling something by the correct name. If you don't do so, you run the
substantial risk that your question will not be understood. Worse, it
may be *misunderstood*, and you may therefore get the wrong answer. I
asked what you meant, rather than guessing, but some people will
guess, and some of them will guess wrong.

And one point for you: what you see as 10:44AM on your newsreader will
have a different time for everyone in a different time zone.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:09:45 -0400, "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:47:04 -0400, "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote:
> >

> >> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> >> Read his first post at 10:44AM today. Or, better yet, here:
> >>
> >> "I installed SP1 onto a laptop and after about three quarters of an hour
> >> into
> >> the process, the laptop switched itself off. I restarted and got a choice
> >> between Repair or Start Windows normally. "

> > Thanks, but for John Harris's benefit, let me explain several things:
> >
> > 1. If you start a new thread, rather than reply to an existing one,
> > it's exceedingly difficult for someone reading the message to
> > associate the two. Once you ask a question, all follow-up messages
> > should be by replying to the existing thread, not by posting a new
> > message.
> >
> > 2. If there was a previous message, and you don't quote any of it,
> > it's exceedingly difficult to associate the two. Many of us here (me,
> > for example) don't save already-read messages, and without a quote, a
> > message can be very hard to understand.
> >
> > 3. What you did is called a "repair installation," not a "startup
> > repair." I know that for many people, it's very hard to know what the
> > right terminology is, but I urge you to work hard to be sure you are
> > calling something by the correct name. If you don't do so, you run the
> > substantial risk that your question will not be understood. Worse, it
> > may be *misunderstood*, and you may therefore get the wrong answer. I
> > asked what you meant, rather than guessing, but some people will
> > guess, and some of them will guess wrong.
> >
> > And one point for you: what you see as 10:44AM on your newsreader will
> > have a different time for everyone in a different time zone.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> This is true. I should have said 10:44AM EDST :-)

That would have helped, but no big deal. I should said it was a
*minor* point.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bill Walsh

Re: Can a Vista Startup Repair last 5 hours?
Every thing you say is true, but the main question posted has not been
answered by anyone. By the way, Ken, I remember you from the Windows95 days
as one of the best
helpers for those of us who wander away from doing computer things properly.
Nice to see your name again. Bill Walsh
> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:09:45 -0400, "SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote:
>

>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>> > Thanks, but for John Harris's benefit, let me explain several things:
>> >
>> > 1. If you start a new thread, rather than reply to an existing one,
>> > it's exceedingly difficult for someone reading the message to
>> > associate the two. Once you ask a question, all follow-up messages
>> > should be by replying to the existing thread, not by posting a new
>> > message.
>> >
>> > 2. If there was a previous message, and you don't quote any of it,
>> > it's exceedingly difficult to associate the two. Many of us here (me,
>> > for example) don't save already-read messages, and without a quote, a
>> > message can be very hard to understand.
>> >
>> > 3. What you did is called a "repair installation," not a "startup
>> > repair." I know that for many people, it's very hard to know what the
>> > right terminology is, but I urge you to work hard to be sure you are
>> > calling something by the correct name. If you don't do so, you run the
>> > substantial risk that your question will not be understood. Worse, it
>> > may be *misunderstood*, and you may therefore get the wrong answer. I
>> > asked what you meant, rather than guessing, but some people will
>> > guess, and some of them will guess wrong.
>> >
>> > And one point for you: what you see as 10:44AM on your newsreader will
>> > have a different time for everyone in a different time zone.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

>> This is true. I should have said 10:44AM EDST :-)

> That would have helped, but no big deal. I should said it was a
> *minor* point.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Can a Vista Startup Repair last 5 hours?
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 19:05:35 -0400, "Bill Walsh"
<wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote:

> Every thing you say is true, but the main question posted has not been
> answered by anyone. By the way, Ken, I remember you from the Windows95 days
> as one of the best
> helpers for those of us who wander away from doing computer things properly.
> Nice to see your name again. Bill Walsh

Same with you Bill, and thanks for the kind words.