icons on desktop keep moving

John

icons on desktop keep moving
Vista home premium with all the updayes

icons on the desktop keep moving back to the left. I un-check everything
under personalize. Have tried a couple things but nothing works. Help

John
MilesAhead

Re: icons on desktop keep moving

John;1158571 Wrote:
> Vista home premium with all the updayes
>
> icons on the desktop keep moving back to the left. I un-check
> everything
> under personalize. Have tried a couple things but nothing works. Help
>
> John

At one point I even wrote my own "desktop icon position save/restore"
program. But after years of messing with desktop icons, and also
probably because I started to use themes, I decided to just get rid of
them. I use RocketDock and I categorized my shortcuts into 6 folders
that sit on RocketDock.

As you can see in the screen shot, with a double-height Taskbar and
using icons instead of buttons for running apps, I have plenty of
QuickLaunch. It's just a big hassle to mess with icons on the desktop.
It's not worth it.

|Filename: desk.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16470|

MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
John

Re: icons on desktop keep moving
Thanks. I was posting for a friend. I use object dock plus with vista
and don't use desktop at all. From replies here and other places I
understand there just isn't any solution to the moving icon problem.
Seems strange after 2 revisions.

John

MilesAhead wrote:
> John;1158571 Wrote:
>> Vista home premium with all the updayes
>>
>> icons on the desktop keep moving back to the left. I un-check
>> everything
>> under personalize. Have tried a couple things but nothing works. Help
>>
>> John

> At one point I even wrote my own "desktop icon position save/restore"
> program. But after years of messing with desktop icons, and also
> probably because I started to use themes, I decided to just get rid of
> them. I use RocketDock and I categorized my shortcuts into 6 folders
> that sit on RocketDock.
>
> As you can see in the screen shot, with a double-height Taskbar and
> using icons instead of buttons for running apps, I have plenty of
> QuickLaunch. It's just a big hassle to mess with icons on the desktop.
> It's not worth it.

> |Filename: desk.jpg |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16470|

whs

John;1169687 Wrote:
> Thanks. I was posting for a friend. I use object dock plus with vista
> and don't use desktop at all. From replies here and other places I
> understand there just isn't any solution to the moving icon problem.
> Seems strange after 2 revisions.
>
> John
>
> MilesAhead wrote:> > >

> > > Help

> > > At one point I even wrote my own "desktop icon position

> > save/restore"
> > > program. But after years of messing with desktop icons, and also
> > > probably because I started to use themes, I decided to just get

> > rid of
> > > them. I use RocketDock and I categorized my shortcuts into 6

> > folders
> > > that sit on RocketDock.
> > >
> > > As you can see in the screen shot, with a double-height Taskbar

> > and
> > > using icons instead of buttons for running apps, I have plenty of
> > > QuickLaunch. It's just a big hassle to mess with icons on the

> > desktop.
> > > It's not worth it.
> > >

> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > > |Filename: desk.jpg |

> > http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16470|
> > >

> > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Vista (and XP) has a built-in docking solution. No need to use Rocket
Dock. Put all your icons into a folder on the desktop and then grab this
folder and push it all the way into the top of your screen. There you
release it (may need a couple of attempts). Now you have a dock that you
can personalize by right clicking on it. I like the "hide" option. The
folder you used will stay on the desktop as repository. Any new icon you
drag into it will appear in the dock.

--
whs

whs;1169756 Wrote:
> > John;1169687 Wrote:
> > Thanks. I was posting for a friend. I use object dock plus with vista
> > and don't use desktop at all. From replies here and other places I
> > understand there just isn't any solution to the moving icon problem.
> > Seems strange after 2 revisions.
> >
> > John

> > > of

> > > desktop.

> > > 'http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16470|'
> > > (http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...entid=16470%7C)
> > > > > > > > > >

> Vista (and XP) has a built-in docking solution. No need to use Rocket
> Dock. Put all your icons into a folder on the desktop and then grab
> this folder and push it all the way into the top of your screen. There
> you release it (may need a couple of attempts). Now you have a dock
> that you can personalize by right clicking on it. I like the "hide"
> option. The folder you used will stay on the desktop as repository.
> Any new icon you drag into it will appear in the dock.

I did that with my six folder categories. I made a toolbar out of the
enclosing folder. At least on my systems it was a struggle to grab hold
of a corner to resize that folder once I made a toolbar out of it.
RocketDock has the sizing built in with sliders to avoid that hassle.
Plus the toolbar gets really big if you leave text enabled. If you
disable text to keep it small, then you need to use custom icons for the
categories to avoid constant waits for mouse hover to tooltip the text.
RocketDock pops up large custom tooltips. Makes it easy to get the text
description. Seems to run well on both 64 and 32 bit so I don't see the
big hassle of using it. It takes a bit of time to set up but so does
struggling with home made toolbar sizing. Plus if you put that toolbar
on the Taskbar, you end up with a fold out menu that you have to travel
the mouse over, which keeps closing if you go off the edge and is
generally a pita.

To the OP if the friend really wants an Icon position restore I'd try
Softpedia.com.
My own should work on 32 bit systems. You can get it from this page:
'IconSet Desktop Icon Save Restore'
(http://www.favessoft.com/iconset.html)

(it's a freebie at your own risk no warranty software but I got the
method out of Jeffrey Richter's Programming Windows book and it has
worked on everything 32 bit since Win95.. if it doesn't work it's likely
due to themes or you are running a 64 bit OS.)

I use VistaGlass and none of the other icon desktop software I've tried
work on Vista64 probably due to hacking the shell DLLs to use Vista
Purple theme, so I can't really test it on my machine. Chances are it
may not work with themes. If the OS is 32 bit it may work. It's a shell
extension so if the OS is 64 bit I wouldn't even bother with it. Just
use another software with a Gui interface. There must be something free
on Softpedia that works.

Trial and error is about it though.

--
MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
MilesAhead

Re: icons on desktop keep moving

> To the OP if the friend really wants an Icon position restore I'd try
> Softpedia.com.
> My own should work on 32 bit systems. You can get it from this page:
> 'IconSet Desktop Icon Save Restore'
> (http://www.favessoft.com/iconset.html)

btw if anyone does try my IconSet desktop icon save/restore make sure
you have "auto arrange" for desktop icons disabled or it won't do
anything except save the icon positions to a file. To restore the
positions Auto Arrange has to be unchecked.

--
MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
Clark

John wrote:
> Thanks. I was posting for a friend. I use object dock plus with vista
> and don't use desktop at all. From replies here and other places I
> understand there just isn't any solution to the moving icon problem.
> Seems strange after 2 revisions.
>
> John
>
> MilesAhead wrote:
>> John;1158571 Wrote:
>>> Vista home premium with all the updayes
>>>
>>> icons on the desktop keep moving back to the left. I un-check
>>> everything
>>> under personalize. Have tried a couple things but nothing works. Help
>>>
>>> John

>> At one point I even wrote my own "desktop icon position save/restore"
>> program. But after years of messing with desktop icons, and also
>> probably because I started to use themes, I decided to just get rid of
>> them. I use RocketDock and I categorized my shortcuts into 6 folders
>> that sit on RocketDock.
>>
>> As you can see in the screen shot, with a double-height Taskbar and
>> using icons instead of buttons for running apps, I have plenty of
>> QuickLaunch. It's just a big hassle to mess with icons on the
>> desktop. It's not worth it.
>>

>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> |Filename: desk.jpg |
>> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16470|

You may have noticed that if the screen resolution changes (lower then
back to higher),the icons will move back to the left, or at least enough
to adjust for the different resolution. Maybe a video driver update or
change in resolution will stop the icons from moving.

Are they running any programs that might be changing the resolution,
such as games?

Your friend might check for any logs containing information about the
boot process or any warnings/errors on their system.

Clark