Network Login Icon no longer displayed

Paul Calcagno

Network Login Icon no longer displayed
I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.

The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite normal.
However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon that's
supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is not there.
Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows up saying I'm
connected locally and to the internet.

I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been inadvertently
disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried re-establishing my
IP address but this did not produce the icon either. Last thing I tried was
`repairing' my internet connection to no avail.

Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.

Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
That icon is called Network.
Try this :
Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip at
the bottom,
click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore back-dating
the date the icon was present.
Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system restore
to get them back.
There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me know
if I need to.
t-4-2

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.
>
> The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite
> normal. However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon
> that's supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is not
> there. Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows up
> saying I'm connected locally and to the internet.
>
> I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been inadvertently
> disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried re-establishing
> my IP address but this did not produce the icon either. Last thing I
> tried was `repairing' my internet connection to no avail.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.
>
> Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Here is the tutorial, should you need it. Read it anyway, it's useful.
RE : Restore missing icons in Notification area
Sometimes a simple restart will restore them. If not, then this may be
able to help restore them instead.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...tem-icons.html

t-4-2

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.
>
> The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite
> normal. However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon
> that's supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is not
> there. Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows up
> saying I'm connected locally and to the internet.
>
> I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been inadvertently
> disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried re-establishing
> my IP address but this did not produce the icon either. Last thing I
> tried was `repairing' my internet connection to no avail.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.
>
> Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Thanks t-4-2.

You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it. I'd
really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if you
could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without rebooting.

Paul C.

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> That icon is called Network.
> Try this :
> Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip at
> the bottom,
> click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
> checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
> If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore back-dating
> the date the icon was present.
> Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system
> restore to get them back.
> There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me
> know if I need to.
> t-4-2
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.
>>
>> The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite
>> normal. However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon
>> that's supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is not
>> there. Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows up
>> saying I'm connected locally and to the internet.
>>
>> I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been inadvertently
>> disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried re-establishing
>> my IP address but this did not produce the icon either. Last thing I
>> tried was `repairing' my internet connection to no avail.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.
>>
>> Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Tutorial is already sent.
By the way, System Restore is the most reliable and DOWN-TO-EARTH method to
solve most " common " problems such as this.
It is hell of a lot better than " tweaking " the registry, which many
self-proclaimed geeks will recommend and jump on.

> Thanks t-4-2.
>
> You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it.
> I'd really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if
> you could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without rebooting.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> That icon is called Network.
>> Try this :
>> Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip at
>> the bottom,
>> click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
>> checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
>> If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore
>> back-dating the date the icon was present.
>> Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system
>> restore to get them back.
>> There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me
>> know if I need to.
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.
>>>
>>> The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite
>>> normal. However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon
>>> that's supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is
>>> not there. Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows
>>> up saying I'm connected locally and to the internet.
>>>
>>> I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been
>>> inadvertently disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried
>>> re-establishing my IP address but this did not produce the icon either.
>>> Last thing I tried was `repairing' my internet connection to no avail.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Additional:
Don't be mistaken System Recovery from System Restore.
System Restore is the most drastic measure.
System Restore is just a " roll back " to a few days where things were
running a-ok. Like time travel to the past.... ha ha ha.

t-4-2

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Thanks t-4-2.
>
> You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it.
> I'd really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if
> you could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without rebooting.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> That icon is called Network.
>> Try this :
>> Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip at
>> the bottom,
>> click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
>> checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
>> If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore
>> back-dating the date the icon was present.
>> Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system
>> restore to get them back.
>> There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me
>> know if I need to.
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer desktop with 2 gig of RAM.
>>>
>>> The computer is working fine and my internet connection seems quite
>>> normal. However, I just noticed that the little computer monitor icon
>>> that's supposed to be in the lower right hand corner of my display is
>>> not there. Normally when I hover over this icon a small indicator shows
>>> up saying I'm connected locally and to the internet.
>>>
>>> I tried looking in `Services.msc' for something that's been
>>> inadvertently disabled, but can't find anything relevant. I also tried
>>> re-establishing my IP address but this did not produce the icon either.
>>> Last thing I tried was `repairing' my internet connection to no avail.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me how to get this icon back on without rebooting.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance....................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Thanks t-4-2. I got the tutorial, tried it (method 3; made sure the 4
network functions are enabled in `services.msc') but this did not get that
icon showing. Looks like I'm going to have to reboot. I will never or have
I ever tweeked with the Registry since the warnings are too ominous for me.

I'll try a reboot and let you know what happens.

> Tutorial is already sent.
> By the way, System Restore is the most reliable and DOWN-TO-EARTH method
> to solve most " common " problems such as this.
> It is hell of a lot better than " tweaking " the registry, which many
> self-proclaimed geeks will recommend and jump on.
>
> t-4-2
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks t-4-2.
>>
>> You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it.
>> I'd really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if
>> you could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without
>> rebooting.
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> That icon is called Network.
>>> Try this :
>>> Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip
>>> at the bottom,
>>> click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
>>> checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
>>> If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore
>>> back-dating the date the icon was present.
>>> Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system
>>> restore to get them back.
>>> There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me
>>> know if I need to.
>>> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Typo :
System RECOVERY is the most drastic measure.

t-4-2

> Additional:
> Don't be mistaken System Recovery from System Restore.
> System Restore is the most drastic measure.
> System Restore is just a " roll back " to a few days where things were
> running a-ok. Like time travel to the past.... ha ha ha.
>
> t-4-2
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks t-4-2.
>>
>> You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it.
>> I'd really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if
>> you could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without
>> rebooting.
>>
>> Paul C.
>>
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> That icon is called Network.
>>> Try this :
>>> Right click on an open space of the notification area, the black strip
>>> at the bottom,
>>> click Properties > Notification Area. Under System icons, can you put a
>>> checkmark on Network, or is it grayed out ?
>>> If it is grayed out and cannot be checked, do a system restore
>>> back-dating the date the icon was present.
>>> Network and Sound disappeared on me many times, I always use system
>>> restore to get them back.
>>> There is another method, but I have to find the tutorial first. Let me
>>> know if I need to.
>>> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
Did you download the Enable_network.reg ?

3. For the Network Icon -
NOTE: To make sure that this icon works properly you should also have the
Services Network Connections, Network List Service, Network Location
Awareness, and Network Store Interface Service set to Started and Automatic.
For how, see: How to Disable or Enable Vista Services with an Advice Guide
A) To Disable the Network Icon - Disable_Network.reg < CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

B) To Enable the Netwok Icon - Enable_Network.reg < CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

> Thanks t-4-2. I got the tutorial, tried it (method 3; made sure the 4
> network functions are enabled in `services.msc') but this did not get that
> icon showing. Looks like I'm going to have to reboot. I will never or
> have I ever tweeked with the Registry since the warnings are too ominous
> for me.
>
> I'll try a reboot and let you know what happens.
>
> Paul C.
>
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> Tutorial is already sent.
>> By the way, System Restore is the most reliable and DOWN-TO-EARTH method
>> to solve most " common " problems such as this.
>> It is hell of a lot better than " tweaking " the registry, which many
>> self-proclaimed geeks will recommend and jump on.
>>
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks t-4-2.
>>>
>>> You're correct that `Network' is greyed out with no means to check it.
>>> I'd really rather not do a restore at this point. I'd appreciate it if
>>> you could find that tutorial for re-instating `Network' without
>>> rebooting.
>>>
>>> Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Login Icon no longer displayed
I went for the reboot and got things working after it came up by clicking on
Properties in the Notification area and then I was able to select and check
`Network' and the icon popped back up again.

I'm all set. Thanks for your help.............Paul C.