Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?

DirtyDawg

Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
I was under the impression for quite some time now that when you run Disk
Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you tell it
to. Now it seems that it really doesn't, it just goes out and checks to see
if IT THINKS IT NEEDS IT, and then goes from there. Because of starting to
use my systems sleep mode more often, I've found it necessary to run DD
manually and it seems like to me that it hasn't defraged the drive AT ALL
this last YEAR and 1/2. I say this because defrag has been running for 2
hours now and is still going. I'm assuming that it is because it has never
really defragged my drive at all. Is my assumption correct? How would a
person go about checking that the drive has actually been defragged or not?
I mean really defragged, not the program defrag deciding one way or the
other. Thanks.

SC Tom

Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?

"DirtyDawg" <DirtyDawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news934E17B-22A9-463C-928C-A51FF86D06F4@microsoft.com...
>I was under the impression for quite some time now that when you run Disk
> Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you tell it
> to. Now it seems that it really doesn't, it just goes out and checks to
> see
> if IT THINKS IT NEEDS IT, and then goes from there. Because of starting
> use my systems sleep mode more often, I've found it necessary to run DD
> manually and it seems like to me that it hasn't defraged the drive AT ALL
> this last YEAR and 1/2. I say this because defrag has been running for 2
> hours now and is still going. I'm assuming that it is because it has never
> really defragged my drive at all. Is my assumption correct? How would a
> person go about checking that the drive has actually been defragged or
> not?
> I mean really defragged, not the program defrag deciding one way or the
> other. Thanks.

Here are your options for defrag:

improve system performance.

Syntax: defrag <volume> -a [-v]
defrag <volume> [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]

Parameters:

Value Description
<volume> Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the volume
be defragmented or analyzed.

-c Defragments all volumes on this computer.

-a Performs fragmentation analysis only.

-r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).

-w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
file
fragments, regardless of their size.

-f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.

-v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
output
is more detailed.

-? Displays this help information."

If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll bring
it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
(optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though it's
not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)

SC Tom

DirtyDawg

Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
Hello SC Tom, thanks for replying to another one of my topics here.

I got into the scheduler like you described and found that there are
multiple arguments in there already, one of which is the -i that you
mentioned. However there are two others that are not in the help file either
and would like to know if you know what they represent as well? They are -e
and -g.

I ask this because if I try to use the -f force switch and something else
like -w for a full fragmentation, and one of these other arguments is
something that is the oposite, well you know where I'm going with this right.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply, and hope to hear from you again soon.

"SC Tom" wrote:

> "DirtyDawg" <DirtyDawg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news934E17B-22A9-463C-928C-A51FF86D06F4@microsoft.com...
> >I was under the impression for quite some time now that when you run Disk
> > Defrag on the schedule that it actually defrags the drive when you tell it
> > to. Now it seems that it really doesn't, it just goes out and checks to
> > see
> > if IT THINKS IT NEEDS IT, and then goes from there. Because of starting
> > use my systems sleep mode more often, I've found it necessary to run DD
> > manually and it seems like to me that it hasn't defraged the drive AT ALL
> > this last YEAR and 1/2. I say this because defrag has been running for 2
> > hours now and is still going. I'm assuming that it is because it has never
> > really defragged my drive at all. Is my assumption correct? How would a
> > person go about checking that the drive has actually been defragged or
> > not?
> > I mean really defragged, not the program defrag deciding one way or the
> > other. Thanks.
> >

> Here are your options for defrag:

> improve system performance.
>
> Syntax: defrag <volume> -a [-v]
> defrag <volume> [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
> defrag -c [{-r | -w}] [-f] [-v]
>
> Parameters:
>
> Value Description
> <volume> Specifies the drive letter or mount point path of the volume
> be defragmented or analyzed.
>
> -c Defragments all volumes on this computer.
>
> -a Performs fragmentation analysis only.
>
> -r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
> consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).
>
> -w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
> file
> fragments, regardless of their size.
>
> -f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.
>
> -v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
> output
> is more detailed.
>
> -? Displays this help information."
>
> If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
> highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll bring
> it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
> (optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though it's
> not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)
>
> SC Tom

DirtyDawg

Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
Ah Oh,

I went to my other machine (Desktop Vista Home Premium 32b) went through the
same procedure to get into the Task Scheduler and as soon as it loads up I
get a rectangular box, from Task Scheduler, saying "The task image is corrupt
or has been tampered with.mcupdate". However I can just click ok to that
message and still get into it and see that the manual running of DD by me was
successful, so I don't know what is up there. Is there a way to fix this
error message by doing something on my own? Possibly just deleting the
current Tasks or something and then re-entering them? Thanks.

"DirtyDawg" wrote:

> [...]

> > -r Performs partial defragmentation (default). Attempts to
> > consolidate only fragments smaller than 64 megabytes (MB).
> >
> > -w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
> > file
> > fragments, regardless of their size.
> >
> > -f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is low.
> >
> > -v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
> > output
> > is more detailed.
> >
> > -? Displays this help information."
> >
> > If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
> > highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll bring
> > it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
> > (optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though it's
> > not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)

Don't know what those two switches are. My defaults are -c and -i. On my
ManualDefrag, it's just -c.

> [...]

>> -w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate all
>> file
>> fragments, regardless of their size.
>>
>> -f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is
>> low.
>>
>> -v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
>> output
>> is more detailed.
>>
>> -? Displays this help information."
>>
>> If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
>> highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll
>> bring
>> it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
>> (optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though
>> it's
>> not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)

Found this on-line here
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-genera...r-corrupt.html :

"I solved my problems by doing a Google search for the words.
I then used windows explorer to navigate to
C:/Windows/System32/Tasks/Microsoft/Media Centre
and deleted mcupdate.
I don't know why this task was not visible in Task Scheduler but the above
procedure seems to have worked."

Instead of deleting it, try renaming it first and see what happens.

I think if you try to run something that interferes with the other, it
probably will not run and leave an error in the log file. Don't know for
sure; I've never run into that problem.

SC Tom

David
> [...]
>> >
>> > -w Performs full defragmentation. Attempts to consolidate
>> > all
>> > file
>> > fragments, regardless of their size.
>> >
>> > -f Forces defragmentation of the volume when free space is
>> > low.
>> >
>> > -v Specifies verbose mode. The defragmentation and analysis
>> > output
>> > is more detailed.
>> >
>> > -? Displays this help information."
>> >
>> > If you go into Task Scheduler/ Scheduled Tasks/ Windows/ Disk Defrag,
>> > highlight ScheduledDefrag and click Properties in the RH pane, it'll
>> > bring
>> > it up for editing. Under Actions, click on Edit. On the Add arguments
>> > (optional) line, add -f and see if that will force it for you. (Though
>> > it's
>> > not listed in the help screen, -i makes defrag run in the background.)

DirtyDawg

Re: Well crap....Disk Defrag problems?
Thanks for that SC Tom.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of googling it myself. Oh well, that's what
happens when you get old (lazy and forgetful) . The only thing I can think
of related to Media Center is that I have 1 program set to record every week.
That must be it. I'll probably just delete that series recording option in
WM and forget about watching that weekly. It's not that important to me
anyway. Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. I'm
looking forward to watching some football later.