Restore Failure

ray2386

Restore Failure
Attempting to go back via a restore point but get a message that the restore
process failed because of an error (Can't remember the wording of the error
message.). What is a possible remedy for this problem??
Bert Kinney

Re: Restore Failure
Hi,

Are there any Norton applications installed?

Try running System Restore from Safe Mode.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to
start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with a command prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account
that has administrator credentials.
3. In Safe Mode type or paste the following command in the Start - Run box
then press Enter. In Safe Mode Command Prompt type the following command
then press ENTER.

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
computer to an earlier state, or undo the last restore if available.

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

"Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

ray2386 wrote:
> Attempting to go back via a restore point but get a message that the restore
> process failed because of an error (Can't remember the wording of the error
> message.). What is a possible remedy for this problem??

ray2386

Re: Restore Failure
Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. I will get to work on this.
Really appreciate your assistance.

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any Norton applications installed?
>
> Try running System Restore from Safe Mode.
>
> 1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to
> start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with a command prompt.
>
> 2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account
> that has administrator credentials.
> 3. In Safe Mode type or paste the following command in the Start - Run box
> then press Enter. In Safe Mode Command Prompt type the following command
> then press ENTER.
>
> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
>
> 4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
> computer to an earlier state, or undo the last restore if available.
>
> Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
> restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>

> ray2386 wrote:
> > Attempting to go back via a restore point but get a message that the restore
> > process failed because of an error (Can't remember the wording of the error
> > message.). What is a possible remedy for this problem??

ray2386

Re: Restore Failure
UPDATE - PROCESS DOES NOT WORK
After starting in SAFE MODE, and entering
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in the RUN window,
the message "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe'.
Make
sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." is displayed.
What now coach???

"ray2386" wrote:

> Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. I will get to work on this.
> Really appreciate your assistance.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are there any Norton applications installed?
> >
> > Try running System Restore from Safe Mode.
> >
> > 1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to
> > start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with a command prompt.
> >
> > 2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account
> > that has administrator credentials.
> > 3. In Safe Mode type or paste the following command in the Start - Run box
> > then press Enter. In Safe Mode Command Prompt type the following command
> > then press ENTER.
> >
> > %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
> >
> > 4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
> > computer to an earlier state, or undo the last restore if available.
> >
> > Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
> > restore:
> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
> >
> > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> > http://bertk.mvps.org
> > Member: http://dts-l.org
> >

> > ray2386 wrote:
> > > Attempting to go back via a restore point but get a message that the restore
> > > process failed because of an error (Can't remember the wording of the error
> > > message.). What is a possible remedy for this problem??

dean-dean

Re: Restore Failure
This command would be for Windows XP:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

For Vista, try this one:

%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

"ray2386" <ray2386@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> UPDATE - PROCESS DOES NOT WORK
> After starting in SAFE MODE, and entering
> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe in the RUN window,
> the message "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe'.
> Make
> sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." is displayed.
> What now coach???
>
> "ray2386" wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much for the comprehensive response. I will get to work on
>> this.
>> Really appreciate your assistance.
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Are there any Norton applications installed?
>> >
>> > Try running System Restore from Safe Mode.
>> >
>> > 1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup
>> > start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with a command prompt.
>> >
>> > 2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an
>> > account
>> > that has administrator credentials.
>> > 3. In Safe Mode type or paste the following command in the Start - Run
>> > box
>> > then press Enter. In Safe Mode Command Prompt type the following
>> > command
>> > then press ENTER.
>> >
>> > %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
>> >
>> > 4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
>> > computer to an earlier state, or undo the last restore if available.
>> >
>> > Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails
>> > restore:
>> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>> >
>> > "Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
>> > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> > http://bertk.mvps.org
>> > Member: http://dts-l.org

ray2386

Re: Restore Failure
You are correct - this works for Vista. Thanks