Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

raloys

Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

Hello,
I have a Gateway GM5632E machine and I cannot restore using the factory
disks. Here are the details:
1.

--
raloys
lemur

Re: Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

You can download Knoppix and delete partitions/wipe your drive clean. I
just hope you don't have a failing drive.
'Knoppix Linux Boot CD, Download Disk and Documents, Discuss, Get Help'
(http://www.knoppix.net/)

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
SC Tom

"raloys" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
> I have a Gateway GM5632E machine and I cannot restore using the factory
> disks. Here are the details:
> 1.
>

> --
> raloys

Damn, that sucks!

raloys

Re: Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

Lemur,

Thank you for the suggestion. I cannot get online from home and here at
work I am blocked from the site you suggested.

Christine

--
raloys
lemur

Re: Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

Those darn firewalls. See if you can get your IT person to download the
iso image for you. Or allow you access.

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
raloys

Re: Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

Lemur,

That will never happen...to big and IT is in another country.

Christine

--
raloys
Malke

raloys wrote:

> Lemur,
>
> That will never happen...to big and IT is in another country.

Then you need to contact Gateway tech support if the machine is still under
warranty or take it to a competent local computer shop. This will not be a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place. You didn't say what problems
caused you to want to restore to factory condition, but if you can't restore
using the recovery disc set or the image on the hard drive, you have
hardware failure. You can try troubleshooting it yourself, but based on what
you've written I think that will be difficult for you to do.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

raloys

Re: Gateway GM5632E cannot restore hdd

Malke,

My machine was infected with a Virus that Norton didn't catch thus not
letting Norton run properly. As you know by this time it was too late. I
have reformatted machines in the past but I really am not familiar with
Vista.
I appreciate your reply...I do like challenges so I may keep trying to
fix this one for a bit. If I have to I will purchase a new harddrive and
go from there.

Thank you,
Christine

--
raloys
Malke

raloys wrote:

> Malke,
>
> My machine was infected with a Virus that Norton didn't catch thus not
> letting Norton run properly. As you know by this time it was too late. I
> have reformatted machines in the past but I really am not familiar with
> Vista.
> I appreciate your reply...I do like challenges so I may keep trying to
> fix this one for a bit. If I have to I will purchase a new harddrive and
> go from there.

Then do hardware troubleshooting first. There is no point in purchasing a new
hard drive if the failing component is the optical drive or the RAM, or even
a bad recovery disc that is smudged/scratched from being thrown in a drawer.
If you think the actual recovery disc is damaged, get a new copy from
Gateway. This will not be very expensive.

Malke