RunDLL Error @ Startup

serenity1dee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RunDLL Error @ Startup
every time i start the comp. it says

Error loading C:\Users\SERENI~1\protect.dll

and I have no idea why this started. please help?
Malke

Re: RunDLL Error @ Startup
serenity1dee wrote:

> every time i start the comp. it says
>
> Error loading C:\Users\SERENI~1\protect.dll
>
> and I have no idea why this started. please help?

A Google search for "protect.dll" shows that it is malware. The error
message says that this particular piece of malware can't load. Either you
uninstalled the malware program or your antivirus/antispyware program did.
In any case, a reference was left to the file in Startup. You can remove the
reference by managing your Startup.

Because you had one piece of malware, the chances are also high that you had
others. It would be a good idea to scan. I recommend downloading and
installing MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) from
http://www.malwarebytes.org. The program is free. (There is a paid version
but you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)

Manage Startup [Do not do this part first! Do the malware scan(s) first!]

Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type
the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab. You
don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get a
dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be blocked
by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then tick the box
that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Loran

Re: RunDLL Error @ Startup
Male wrote:
> serenity1dee wrote:
>
>> every time i start the comp. it says
>>
>> Error loading C:\Users\SERENI~1\protect.dll
>>
>> and I have no idea why this started. please help?

> A Google search for "protect.dll" shows that it is malware. The error
> message says that this particular piece of malware can't load. Either you
> uninstalled the malware program or your antivirus/antispyware program did.
> In any case, a reference was left to the file in Startup. You can remove the
> reference by managing your Startup.
>
> Because you had one piece of malware, the chances are also high that you had
> others. It would be a good idea to scan. I recommend downloading and
> installing MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) from
> http://www.malwarebytes.org. The program is free. (There is a paid version
> but you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
>
> Manage Startup [Do not do this part first! Do the malware scan(s) first!]
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
> above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".
>
> If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type
> the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab. You
> don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get a
> dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be blocked
> by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then tick the box
> that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".
>
> The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx - Autoruns
>
> Malke

If you are going dll error on startup try running ccleaner.

RunDLL Error Gilb microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 6 06-09-2013 16:01
rundll error wilson142 English 0 06-24-2008 15:48
rundll error on startup reelinbass microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 05-21-2008 19:21
Error RunDLL David microsoft.public.es.windowsvista 5 02-09-2008 02:38
RUNdll error on startup. Darkey microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 08-12-2007 13:04