New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter

stcshindo

New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter

Hi guys, new to Vista and new to these forums.

I bought an Acer Aspire 6530 last week. I noticed whenever I go to the
GUI disk defragmenter (My Computer>Right click
C:>Properties>Tools>Degfragmentation) that it ALWAYS says I need to
defrag the drive even after I did did one.

But when I do the command line defrag (Start>All Programs>Accessories,
>Command Prompt and chose “Run as administrator”>defrag c: -a) then it

says I don't need to.

This happens everytime even after I run the defragmenter. So why does
the GUI one says I need to while the command line one says I dont. Isnt
the GUI and Command Line one basically the same?

This is very confusing.

--
stcshindo
Bill Daggett

Re: New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter
stcshindo <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Hi guys, new to Vista and new to these forums.
>
>I bought an Acer Aspire 6530 last week. I noticed whenever I go to the
>GUI disk defragmenter (My Computer>Right click
>C:>Properties>Tools>Degfragmentation) that it ALWAYS says I need to
>defrag the drive even after I did did one.
>
>But when I do the command line defrag (Start>All Programs>Accessories,
>>Command Prompt and chose “Run as administrator”>defrag c: -a) then it

>says I don't need to.
>
>This happens everytime even after I run the defragmenter. So why does
>the GUI one says I need to while the command line one says I dont. Isnt
>the GUI and Command Line one basically the same?
>
>This is very confusing.

Just let Vista do it's "thing" on its own and stop worrying about it.
Defragging a NEW system is being kinda freaking obsessive, don't you
think? There are plenty of articles (found by Googling) that will
tell you that you gain little (that you can actually see/feel) by
defragging your Vista machine more than it will do on its own.
stcshindo

Re: New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter

Update. I did a manual GUI defrag. It recommeded to do it as usual.
I ran it, it took about an hr or so. Then when it completed, it didnt
even say "Defrag Complete" or anything, but it gave me the same msg that
I should defrag.

Whats going on??

--
stcshindo
Bill Daggett

Re: New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter
stcshindo <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Update. I did a manual GUI defrag. It recommeded to do it as usual.
>I ran it, it took about an hr or so. Then when it completed, it didnt
>even say "Defrag Complete" or anything, but it gave me the same msg that
>I should defrag.
>
>Whats going on??

Once more:

Just let Vista do it's "thing" on its own and stop worrying about it.
Defragging a NEW system is being kinda freaking obsessive, don't you
think? There are plenty of articles (found by Googling) that will
tell you that you gain little (that you can actually see/feel) by
defragging your Vista machine more than it will do on its own.
stcshindo

Re: New to Vista.......question regarding GUI vs Command Line Disc Defragmenter

Anyone?

--
stcshindo