Error message

erniecash

Error message

*I'm getting an error message in the center of my desktop when i start
up vista which says; *

*
X*
* Version Changed *

* Bad License File*

* Portait *
* Displays
OK*

*This is all in a box format using green and grey colors. It comes up
every time I start the computer and I want to know how to get rid of
this? Thanks!*

--
erniecash
stoneys-nutz

Re: Error message

erniecash;1107862 Wrote:
> *I'm getting an error message in the center of my desktop when i start
> up vista which says; *
>
> *X*
> *Version Changed *
>
> *Bad License File*
>

> *Portait *
> *Displays OK*
>
> *This is all in a box format using green and grey colors. It comes up
> every time I start the computer and I want to know how to get rid of
> this? Thanks!*

Hello erniecash,
The firts two things i would do are,

1. Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
2. Clean the registry with CCleaner.

'Malwarebytes.org' (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php)

'CCleaner - Download' (http://www.ccleaner.com/download)

Both are free, clean your system first and then we can go from there.
Please post your results.

--
stoneys-nutz

Malke

Re: Error message
stoneys-nutz wrote:

> erniecash;1107862 Wrote:
>> *I'm getting an error message in the center of my desktop when i start
>> up vista which says; *
>>
>> *X*
>> *Version Changed *
>>
>> *Bad License File*
>>

>> *Portait *
>> *Displays OK*
>>
>> *This is all in a box format using green and grey colors. It comes up
>> every time I start the computer and I want to know how to get rid of
>> this? Thanks!*

> The firts two things i would do are,
>
> 1. Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
> 2. Clean the registry with CCleaner.
> 'Malwarebytes.org' (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php)
> 'CCleaner - Download' (http://www.ccleaner.com/download)
> Both are free, clean your system first and then we can go from there.
> Please post your results.

While the advice to scan for malware is good, the advice to use CCleaner's
registry cleaner tool is bad. Registry cleaners should *never* be used.
Details:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

To the OP:

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what changed
between the time things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the malware/virus
status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

If the computer is clean (doubtful), manage your Startup so you can see what
is running and causing the misbehavior.

Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the Results box
above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type
the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab. You
don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll get a
dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be blocked
by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then tick the box
that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".

Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop processes. Do
not stop services unless you really, really know what you are doing.

The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

stoneys-nutz

Re: Error message

Malke;1108389 Wrote:
> stoneys-nutz wrote:

> > > start

> > > up
> > > >
> > > The firts two things i would do are,
> > >
> > > 1. Run a scan with Malwarebytes.
> > > 2. Clean the registry with CCleaner.
> > > 'Malwarebytes.org' ('Malwarebytes.org'

> > (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php))
> > > 'CCleaner - Download' ('CCleaner - Download'

> > (http://www.ccleaner.com/download))
> > > Both are free, clean your system first and then we can go from there.
> > > Please post your results. > >

> While the advice to scan for malware is good, the advice to use
> CCleaner's
> registry cleaner tool is bad. Registry cleaners should *never* be
> used.
> Details:
>
> 'AumHa Forums • View topic - AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a
> Registry Cleaner?' (http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099)
>
> To the OP:
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: If the problem is new, what
> changed
> between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> malware/virus
> status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what programs (and
> versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
> 'page2'
> (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware)
>
> If the computer is clean (doubtful), manage your Startup so you can
> see what
> is running and causing the misbehavior.
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: msconfig and when it appears in the
> Results box
> above, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator".
>
> If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a
> confirmation, type
> the password, or click Continue. Then see what is on the Startup tab.
> You
> don't need to restart immediately, but the next time you do you'll
> get a
> dialog saying you've used the Utility. Usually in Vista this will be
> blocked
> by Windows Defender and you'll need to allow it so you can then tick
> the box
> that says in effect, "don't bother me about this again".
>
> Important - Do not use the System Configuration Utility to stop
> processes. Do
> not stop services unless you really, really know what you are doing.
>
> The free Autoruns program is very useful for managing your Startup -
> 'Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional
> resources'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/default.mspx)
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

The use of CCleaner is advised by as many people as say not to use it.

'How to Use CCleaner to Improve Windows Performance | Train Signal
Training - Free Computer Training Videos'
(http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/h...er/2009-06-22/)

I thought your link would take me to a white paper or some sort of
study, not a forum where people were expressing their personal views. If
you want to do that i can provide you with hundreds.
Bottom line is, *Backup your registry before doing anything to it.*

--
stoneys-nutz