"This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

wishingonastar

"This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

My copy of Windows Vista is definitely genuine, it came with my laptop
when I bought it. I have had it for about a year and a half now and it
has never done this before.

I shut it down to install updates, then restarted it, logged in, but it
came up with 'the product activation code you entered is not valid' so I
selected 'type new prict code' and entered the code on the sticker on
the back of my laptop, which is the Certificate of Authenticity sticker,
and it did the bar with 'activating windows'. It then loaded my desktop
but with a black background, and in the bottom right corner 'Windows
Vista (TM) / Build 6001 / This copy of Windows is not genuine'
But I know that it is genuine, because I have received many updates
before from Windows, and it my version came with the laptop when I
bought it.
Please can anyone help?

Notes: it has been repaired recently where they did the software and
stuff again, but surely if that had changed anything it would have said
'this isn't genuine' when it restarted from that? :s That was two or
three weeks ago now..

--
wishingonastar
whs

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!

The best is to call either the manufacturer of your laptop or Microsoft.
They can fix it.

--
whs
f/fgeorge

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:38:50 -0500, wishingonastar
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>My copy of Windows Vista is definitely genuine, it came with my laptop
>when I bought it. I have had it for about a year and a half now and it
>has never done this before.
>
>I shut it down to install updates, then restarted it, logged in, but it
>came up with 'the product activation code you entered is not valid' so I
>selected 'type new prict code' and entered the code on the sticker on
>the back of my laptop, which is the Certificate of Authenticity sticker,
>and it did the bar with 'activating windows'. It then loaded my desktop
>but with a black background, and in the bottom right corner 'Windows
>Vista (TM) / Build 6001 / This copy of Windows is not genuine'
>But I know that it is genuine, because I have received many updates
>before from Windows, and it my version came with the laptop when I
>bought it.
>Please can anyone help?
>
>Notes: it has been repaired recently where they did the software and
>stuff again, but surely if that had changed anything it would have said
>'this isn't genuine' when it restarted from that? :s That was two or
>three weeks ago now..

Call MS at the 800 number and tell them the problem but I would leave
out the part about being repaired. Those idiots from India can be REAL
picky and if they swapped out your motherboard, you would have to buy
a new copy of Windows!!! Just tell them it was in the shop and they
told you they had to reload Windows and now it is saying this, they
will give you a new activation code and you will be as good as new.
This activation stuff is supposed to prevent thieves but ends up
catching honest people!!

Re: "This copy of Windows is not genuine" please help!
If the op system was reinstalled then you have a reactivation problem. Sort
it with Microsoft - just explain !!.