defrag page file

dogface

defrag page file
Can Vista's built-in defragger defrag the page file?
Gerry Cornell

Re: defrag page file
I may be mistaken but the but the built-in Disk Defragmenter does
not defragment the page file. The Defragmenter is a cut down version
of Diskeeper. Diskeeper 2007 will defragment the page file in Boot
Time Mode but this feature is not included in the version of
Diskeeper provided by Microsofot.
http://www.diskeepereurope.com/en/01..._home_feat.htm

I have not tested this utility in Vista but you might try this
freeware from Sysinternals now part of Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ageDefrag.mspx

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"dogface" <pwhitley2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Can Vista's built-in defragger defrag the page file?

Rick Rogers

Re: defrag page file
You're not mistaken, Gerry. To defrag the paging file one needs to use a
third party defragging tool. Better to just set the minimum size of the file
to the amount normally in use to avoid the need for expansion.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjcvis@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I may be mistaken but the but the built-in Disk Defragmenter does not
>defragment the page file. The Defragmenter is a cut down version of
>Diskeeper. Diskeeper 2007 will defragment the page file in Boot Time Mode
>but this feature is not included in the version of Diskeeper provided by
>Microsofot.
> http://www.diskeepereurope.com/en/01..._home_feat.htm
>
> I have not tested this utility in Vista but you might try this freeware
> from Sysinternals now part of Microsoft:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ageDefrag.mspx
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "dogface" <pwhitley2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Can Vista's built-in defragger defrag the page file?

Gerry Cornell

Re: defrag page file
Nice to know Rick I get things right some of the time <G>!

BTW I can find little information about the latest Disk Defragmenter
in Vista. I have, however, found there is a lot of information in
the FAQ on the Diskeeper site. The only problem is you then need to
ascertain which features are in the purchase options which are not
in the Microsoft version. That is why I was hesitant to confirm
categorically my answer.

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> You're not mistaken, Gerry. To defrag the paging file one needs to
> use a third party defragging tool. Better to just set the minimum
> size of the file to the amount normally in use to avoid the need
> for expansion.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjcvis@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I may be mistaken but the but the built-in Disk Defragmenter does
>>not defragment the page file. The Defragmenter is a cut down
>>version of Diskeeper. Diskeeper 2007 will defragment the page file
>>in Boot Time Mode but this feature is not included in the version
>>of Diskeeper provided by Microsofot.
>> http://www.diskeepereurope.com/en/01..._home_feat.htm
>>
>> I have not tested this utility in Vista but you might try this
>> freeware from Sysinternals now part of Microsoft:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ageDefrag.mspx
>>

>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> "dogface" <pwhitley2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Can Vista's built-in defragger defrag the page file?

John Barnett MVP

Re: defrag page file
No Vista can't defrag the page file. The easiest way is to use a third party
defragmentation application. Personally I use PerfectDisk. An alternative
might be
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ageDefrag.mspx
However I'm not sure, not having tried it, whether it will work with Vista.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"dogface" <pwhitley2@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
> Can Vista's built-in defragger defrag the page file?

corkwatchr

Re: defrag page file

Hi.
I once read on O&O's Web site that you if you delete the page file,
then recreate it and set the *Min Size* and *Max Size* of the page file
to be the same, it will never become fragmented. Otherwise, use this
free utility: 'PageDefrag'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897426.aspx)

For a great, free open-source x86/x64 defragger with a detailed UI,
check out JkDefrag: 'JkDefrag v3.36' (http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/)

--
corkwatchr
Victek

Re: defrag page file
> Hi.
> I once read on O&O's Web site that you if you delete the page file,
> then recreate it and set the *Min Size* and *Max Size* of the page file
> to be the same, it will never become fragmented. Otherwise, use this
> free utility: 'PageDefrag'
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897426.aspx)
>
> For a great, free open-source x86/x64 defragger with a detailed UI,
> check out JkDefrag: 'JkDefrag v3.36' (http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/)

I believe that deleting and recreating the page file will effectively
"defragment" it as long as there is enough un-fragmented free space for the
new page file to be contiguous. It's a good idea to defrag the drive first,
redo the page file, and then defrag the drive again for best results.

Mike Torello

Re: defrag page file
"Victek" <Victek@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> Hi.
>> I once read on O&O's Web site that you if you delete the page file,
>> then recreate it and set the *Min Size* and *Max Size* of the page file
>> to be the same, it will never become fragmented. Otherwise, use this
>> free utility: 'PageDefrag'
>> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897426.aspx)
>>
>> For a great, free open-source x86/x64 defragger with a detailed UI,
>> check out JkDefrag: 'JkDefrag v3.36' (http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/)
>>

>I believe that deleting and recreating the page file will effectively
>"defragment" it as long as there is enough un-fragmented free space for the
>new page file to be contiguous. It's a good idea to defrag the drive first,
>redo the page file, and then defrag the drive again for best results.

The final defrag is wasted time.

ALSO, it is helpful to set a FIXED size with MIN and MAX set at the
same figure.