HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE problem

Josh Roig

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE problem
I run Registry Mechanic and get the two identical messages:

High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex

High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex

I select the repair option, then restart the computer, run Registry Mechanic
again, and get the same two messages.

I have tried using the system restore option, trying all of my oldest
existing restore points, and I get the message that an unspecified error has
occurred and that the system files have not changed.

The big problem is that my system has become pretty slow. Restarts often
bring up an OS failure, although the automatic repair function takes the
computer back to the same slow performing system.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bruce Chambers

Re: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE problem
Josh Roig wrote:
> I run Registry Mechanic and get the two identical messages:
>
> High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex
>
> High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex
>
> I select the repair option, then restart the computer, run Registry
> Mechanic again, and get the same two messages.
>
> I have tried using the system restore option, trying all of my oldest
> existing restore points, and I get the message that an unspecified error
> has occurred and that the system files have not changed.
>
> The big problem is that my system has become pretty slow. Restarts often
> bring up an OS failure, although the automatic repair function takes the
> computer back to the same slow performing system.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

First and foremost: Stop sabotaging your system by using a snake oil
registry "cleaner" to damage it.

Then, try telling us precisely what problems you're having, under what
precise circumstances they occur, along with the exact text of any and
all error messages.

Generically, a slow down in system performance can be caused by having
too many unnecessary processes and/or applications running in the
background, malware, a badly fragmented hard drive, and/or too little
system resources (CPU power, RAM, etc.) for what you're trying to do.
The one thing that won't cause a system to slow down is the only thing
you've mistakenly and potentially disastrously tried to address: the
alleged presence of extraneous registry entries.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Josh Roig

> Josh Roig wrote:
>> I run Registry Mechanic and get the two identical messages:
>>
>> High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex
>>
>> High Priority: Highlighted value is missing or invalid:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex
>>
>> I select the repair option, then restart the computer, run Registry
>> Mechanic again, and get the same two messages.
>>
>> I have tried using the system restore option, trying all of my oldest
>> existing restore points, and I get the message that an unspecified error
>> has occurred and that the system files have not changed.
>>
>> The big problem is that my system has become pretty slow. Restarts often
>> bring up an OS failure, although the automatic repair function takes the
>> computer back to the same slow performing system.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> First and foremost: Stop sabotaging your system by using a snake oil
> registry "cleaner" to damage it.
>
> Then, try telling us precisely what problems you're having, under what
> precise circumstances they occur, along with the exact text of any and all
> error messages.
>
> Generically, a slow down in system performance can be caused by having too
> many unnecessary processes and/or applications running in the background,
> malware, a badly fragmented hard drive, and/or too little system resources
> (CPU power, RAM, etc.) for what you're trying to do. The one thing that
> won't cause a system to slow down is the only thing you've mistakenly and
> potentially disastrously tried to address: the alleged presence of
> extraneous registry entries.

Thanks for your advice. I've uninstalled Reg Mechanic (and also Ascentive
Performance). There has been some improvement in speed.

My program list includes the following:

CCleaner
RegCure
PCSpeedScanPro

I don't think I've used these for a long time. Should I uninstall them
anyway?

What can I do to speed up my system?

Thanks.

Malke

Josh Roig wrote:

> Thanks for your advice. I've uninstalled Reg Mechanic (and also Ascentive
> Performance). There has been some improvement in speed.
>
> My program list includes the following:
>
> CCleaner
> RegCure
> PCSpeedScanPro
>
> I don't think I've used these for a long time. Should I uninstall them
> anyway?
>
> What can I do to speed up my system?

Uninstall RegCure and PCSpeedScanPro. CCleaner is very useful although you
should *not* use the registry cleaning function.

>> The big problem is that my system has become pretty slow. Restarts often
>> bring up an OS failure, although the automatic repair function takes the
>> computer back to the same slow performing system.

The above indicates a possible hardware issue and you should do some
hardware troubleshooting, starting with the hard drive and the power
supply.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

Software can cause slowness as Bruce already told you. Malware, too many
processes/programs running in the background, etc. After you've determined
that the hardware is healthy (or replaced the faulty components), scan for
malware and do general maintenance.

http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm - What loads at Startup?
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
http://www.blackviper.com