svchost.exe memory leak?

=?Utf-8?B?YW5uYWNvbGxlZW4=?=

svchost.exe memory leak?
I've noticed that every time I start getting angry with the performance on my
PC, an svchost.exe process has exceeded 30k memory. If I terminate it,
everything's fine. Anyone know what's causing this or how I can avoid it?
Rick Rogers

Re: svchost.exe memory leak?
Hi,

There are generally several instances of svchost.exe running, each of which
is handling different things. Knowing what you are killing by ending one of
them may help explain what's going on. Next time it happens, click start and
type CMD, then right click the entry in the start menu and use 'run as
administrator'. From the prompt, run tasklist /all and look at what is
loaded under the various svchost entries. Now kill the on causing issues and
run tasklist again to see what is no longer there.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"annacolleen" <annacolleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed that every time I start getting angry with the performance on
> my
> PC, an svchost.exe process has exceeded 30k memory. If I terminate it,
> everything's fine. Anyone know what's causing this or how I can avoid it?

Fat Bastard

Re: svchost.exe memory leak?
Or you can run Tasklist /svc and see what is loading under each one. By
matching up the PID with the one that is causing you trouble, you may be
able to tell what it is.

> Hi,
>
> There are generally several instances of svchost.exe running, each of
> which is handling different things. Knowing what you are killing by ending
> one of them may help explain what's going on. Next time it happens, click
> start and type CMD, then right click the entry in the start menu and use
> 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, run tasklist /all and look at
> what is loaded under the various svchost entries. Now kill the on causing
> issues and run tasklist again to see what is no longer there.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "annacolleen" <annacolleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've noticed that every time I start getting angry with the performance
>> on my
>> PC, an svchost.exe process has exceeded 30k memory. If I terminate it,
>> everything's fine. Anyone know what's causing this or how I can avoid
>> it?

Rick Rogers

Re: svchost.exe memory leak?
Actually, I had meant to have OP use /svc. Thanks for catching and
correcting that.

--

"Fat *******" <*******@home.com> wrote in message
> Or you can run Tasklist /svc and see what is loading under each one. By
> matching up the PID with the one that is causing you trouble, you may be
> able to tell what it is.

>> Hi,
>>
>> There are generally several instances of svchost.exe running, each of
>> which is handling different things. Knowing what you are killing by
>> ending one of them may help explain what's going on. Next time it
>> happens, click start and type CMD, then right click the entry in the
>> start menu and use 'run as administrator'. From the prompt, run tasklist
>> /all and look at what is loaded under the various svchost entries. Now
>> kill the on causing issues and run tasklist again to see what is no
>> longer there.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "annacolleen" <annacolleen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I've noticed that every time I start getting angry with the performance
>>> on my
>>> PC, an svchost.exe process has exceeded 30k memory. If I terminate it,
>>> everything's fine. Anyone know what's causing this or how I can avoid
>>> it?

Andy Sweet [MSFT]

Re: svchost.exe memory leak?
FYI, in Vista, you can now view which processes are running under instances
of
svchost.exe by using Task Manager. To view which services are currently
running under svchost.exe:

1. Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar and then clicking Task
Manager.

2. Click the Processes tab.

3. Click Show processes from all users. If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.

4. Right-click an instance of svchost.exe, and then click Go to Service(s).
The services associated with the process are highlighted on the Services
tab.

More info at Windows Help and How-to online at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c91033.mspx#EV

--
Andy Sweet
Windows User Assistance team

Rick Rogers

Re: svchost.exe memory leak?
Cute trick Andy, thanks. I wasn't aware of that capability.

One reason I like tasklist though is that I can walk an end-user through a
copy/paste of the command prompt output into a reply for examination and I
don't see how to do that in Task Manager.