Poor performance with Vista x64

k86

Poor performance with Vista x64

Hey

I'm new to a x64 OS, I did have Home Premium (32bit) on my PC but
upgraded yesterday.
Since upgrading (clean install) I've notice that the boot times are
longer and the shut down times have increased significantly. One of the
reasons I moved to x64 was because of the faster boot and shut down
times. A few other programs are taking longer to load/respond but I'm
not sure if that's because they are 32bit programs running in a x64
environment

Here are my PC specs

AMD Athon X2 4800+ (2.41GHz)
2GB RAM
300GB HDD

If anyone could help me out I would be grateful

--
k86
Richard Urban

Re: Poor performance with Vista x64
The main reason for using 64 bit Vista is so that you can use more than 4
gig of RAM. If all you have is 2 gig you are better staying with the 32 bit
version of Vista.

My 64 bit rig flies. Boot to usable desktop in 32 seconds. The 8 gig of RAM
I have installed does wonders, along with a modern processor.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"k86" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey
>
> I'm new to a x64 OS, I did have Home Premium (32bit) on my PC but
> upgraded yesterday.
> Since upgrading (clean install) I've notice that the boot times are
> longer and the shut down times have increased significantly. One of the
> reasons I moved to x64 was because of the faster boot and shut down
> times. A few other programs are taking longer to load/respond but I'm
> not sure if that's because they are 32bit programs running in a x64
> environment
>
> Here are my PC specs
>
> AMD Athon X2 4800+ (2.41GHz)
> 2GB RAM
> 300GB HDD
>
> If anyone could help me out I would be grateful
>

> --
> k86

Victek

Re: Poor performance with Vista x64
>> I'm new to a x64 OS, I did have Home Premium (32bit) on my PC but
>> upgraded yesterday.
>> Since upgrading (clean install) I've notice that the boot times are
>> longer and the shut down times have increased significantly. One of the
>> reasons I moved to x64 was because of the faster boot and shut down
>> times. A few other programs are taking longer to load/respond but I'm
>> not sure if that's because they are 32bit programs running in a x64
>> environment
>>
>> Here are my PC specs
>>
>> AMD Athon X2 4800+ (2.41GHz)
>> 2GB RAM
>> 300GB HDD
>>
>> If anyone could help me out I would be grateful
>>

> The main reason for using 64 bit Vista is so that you can use more than 4
> gig of RAM. If all you have is 2 gig you are better staying with the 32
> bit version of Vista.
>
> My 64 bit rig flies. Boot to usable desktop in 32 seconds. The 8 gig of
> RAM I have installed does wonders, along with a modern processor.
>
> --

I've heard that Vista x64 uses more ram then Vista x86. If that's correct
it would explain poorer performance in a 2 gb system. The OP's motherboard
should support at least four gb, which would make a big difference.

Brink

k86;1013743 Wrote:
> Hey
>
> I'm new to a x64 OS, I did have Home Premium (32bit) on my PC but
> upgraded yesterday.
> Since upgrading (clean install) I've notice that the boot times are
> longer and the shut down times have increased significantly. One of the
> reasons I moved to x64 was because of the faster boot and shut down
> times. A few other programs are taking longer to load/respond but I'm
> not sure if that's because they are 32bit programs running in a x64
> environment
>
> Here are my PC specs
>
> AMD Athon X2 4800+ (2.41GHz)
> 2GB RAM
> 300GB HDD
>
> If anyone could help me out I would be grateful

Hello K86,

You might see if any of the ideas listed here can help improve your
computer's performance.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81...nce-vista.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Poor performance with Vista x64
"k86" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey
>
> I'm new to a x64 OS, I did have Home Premium (32bit) on my PC but
> upgraded yesterday.
> Since upgrading (clean install) I've notice that the boot times are
> longer and the shut down times have increased significantly. One of the
> reasons I moved to x64 was because of the faster boot and shut down
> times. A few other programs are taking longer to load/respond but I'm
> not sure if that's because they are 32bit programs running in a x64
> environment
>
> Here are my PC specs
>
> AMD Athon X2 4800+ (2.41GHz)
> 2GB RAM
> 300GB HDD
>
> If anyone could help me out I would be grateful
>

> --
> k86

Control Panel > Performance Information > Advanced Tools

Look at the top of the window for info on why Windows starts or shuts down
slowly..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/