windows update 80070026, computer VERY slow

slofurno

windows update 80070026, computer VERY slow

hey guys, something has been eating up my computer's resources over the
past few days. My CPU will idle around 30%, and my memory will idle
around 40%. I have 3.5GB of ram, and a dualcore 2.4GHZ cpu.

I was checking windows update, and it says it cannot download any
updates, and it's most recent check was on 9/9/2008. I tried manually
downloaded the windows vista service pack 1, but it keeps failing and
giving me error 80070026.

Some people suggested I turn off things like real time protection, so I
uninstalled my McAfee virus scan, and downloaded windows defender
instead. I then disabled real time protection on the window's defender.
Nothing else should have real time protection, so why can't I update?

--
slofurno
chinga69

Re: windows update 80070026, computer VERY slow

slofurno;1011522 Wrote:
> hey guys, something has been eating up my computer's resources over the
> past few days. My CPU will idle around 30%, and my memory will idle
> around 40%. I have 3.5GB of ram, and a dualcore 2.4GHZ cpu.
>
> I was checking windows update, and it says it cannot download any
> updates, and it's most recent check was on 9/9/2008. I tried manually
> downloaded the windows vista service pack 1, but it keeps failing and
> giving me error 80070026.
>
> Some people suggested I turn off things like real time protection, so I
> uninstalled my McAfee virus scan, and downloaded windows defender
> instead. I then disabled real time protection on the window's defender.
> Nothing else should have real time protection, so why can't I update?

when you say it failed are you talking about service pack failed to
download or it failed to install ???

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69
Malke

slofurno wrote:

> hey guys, something has been eating up my computer's resources over the
> past few days. My CPU will idle around 30%, and my memory will idle
> around 40%. I have 3.5GB of ram, and a dualcore 2.4GHZ cpu.
>
> I was checking windows update, and it says it cannot download any
> updates, and it's most recent check was on 9/9/2008. I tried manually
> downloaded the windows vista service pack 1, but it keeps failing and
> giving me error 80070026.
>
> Some people suggested I turn off things like real time protection, so I
> uninstalled my McAfee virus scan, and downloaded windows defender
> instead. I then disabled real time protection on the window's defender.
> Nothing else should have real time protection, so why can't I update?

It sounds like your computer is infected. I don't see how you could have
downloaded Windows Defender since it is part of Vista. You need to clean up
your computer before attempting to install Service Pack 1.

Go through these general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be
aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if
they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be
clean-installed. If possible, have all your data backed up before you take
the machine into a shop.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

slofurno

Re: windows update 80070026, computer VERY slow

i do have windows defender. I downloaded the manual install program, and
did a full system scan, and it reported that there were no harmful files
on my computer.

windows update keeps failing when it tries to download vista service
pack 1, so i downloaded the manual install file, and that fails when I
try to install it.

both the windows update and the manual install give me the same error
(80070026)

--
slofurno
slofurno

Re: windows update 80070026, computer VERY slow

i just tried restarting in safe mode with networking, and again the
service pack manual install fails with the same 80070026 error

--
slofurno