Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with

Gary Flater

Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with

When I hit the forward slash key this is what I get.......
Also when I hit the apostrophe key.........
I am using an Acer 5050 aspire laptop. Is this Vista problem or laptop

--
Gary Flater
Malke

Re: Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with
Gary Flater wrote:

> When I hit the forward slash key this is what I get.......
> Also when I hit the apostrophe key.........
> I am using an Acer 5050 aspire laptop. Is this Vista problem or laptop

Two things to check:

1. Go to Control Panel>Regional and Language Options and make sure you've
selected the correct region/language for where you live and what you speak.
If this fixes the issue, you're done.

2. Boot with a Linux Live CD. I prefer Knoppix but there are others. If the
same issue occurs in Linux, then you know it is the keyboard. Since you
have a laptop, you'll need to contact Acer tech support and get a
replacement keyboard.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gary Flater

Re: Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with

That is right on. I told my brother about it and he told me the same
thing. thanks. back to normal (if there is such a thing)!!

--
Gary Flater
Gary Flater

Re: Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with

I read your PDF Staying Safe, and have a question. I know it's not
related to this topic,so redirect me if necessary.

It's about registry cleaners. I use the free version of Advanced
Windows Care. I have heard of problems with the pro version deleting
important stuff, but the free doesn't seem to do that. Is that the only
issue you have with them, or is there something else?

Gary Flater wrote:

> I read your PDF Staying Safe, and have a question. I know it's not
> related to this topic,so redirect me if necessary.
>
> It's about registry cleaners. I use the free version of Advanced
> Windows Care. I have heard of problems with the pro version deleting
> important stuff, but the free doesn't seem to do that. Is that the only
> issue you have with them, or is there something else?

Hi, Gary - I'm glad I was able to help you with your keyboard issue. I would
never recommend using a registry cleaner no matter who wrote it. Rather
than me reinventing the wheel and writing all the reasons I think registry
cleaners are Evil, here is what I consider a definitive thread:

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Charlie Tame

Gary Flater wrote:
> I read your PDF Staying Safe, and have a question. I know it's not
> related to this topic,so redirect me if necessary.
>
> It's about registry cleaners. I use the free version of Advanced
> Windows Care. I have heard of problems with the pro version deleting
> important stuff, but the free doesn't seem to do that. Is that the only
> issue you have with them, or is there something else?

You really do NOT want to mess with the registry unless you absolutely
have to, that simple, certainly not on a regular basis.

Possible problems.

1 MS update something that changes a registry key, along comes your
utility and changes it back because it knows no better, "Something"
stops working sooner of later.

2. Old or unused entries do NOT slow your system down to any noticeable
degree.

3. The registry is only accessed when it is needed, so key present / key
absent the access takes about the same time.

Of course people have different views, but if it ain't broke don't fix
it works well for me

Gary Flater

Re: Keyboard problem forward slash replaced with

thanks for the info. I read all the posts and I found it a real
eye-opener, especially since it comes from knowledgeable people. I am
now going to uninstall all of these programs.

--
Gary Flater

red circle with slash on cd player was_one microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 05-26-2009 17:37
Vista problem, or keyboard problem? Best microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 15 01-10-2009 02:42
Keyboard Problem - MS Office Keyboard Nick Mason microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 13 08-11-2007 20:10
Clash N Slash 1.20 Gamer Games Feed 0 07-09-2007 09:22
Clash N Slash 1.0 Gamer Games Feed 0 06-15-2007 21:34