memory not being used?

Jimbobaby

memory not being used?

Hi everyone, Nice group ya got here. I am new to vistax64 and I was
hoping someone could explain something to me.
I have a dell xps 600 that originally came with xp pro. 2.8 dual core
and 1 gig memory. I was doing a lot of audio multi tracking and wanted
to up my memory to help out with some latency problems I was having.
the xps600 manual said that the mobo could handle 2 gig on 32bit and 8
gig on 64bit so I upgraded to vista ultimate and installed 8 gig.
everything runs great and this solved my latency problems but there is
one thing I noticed.

I use a G15 logitech keyboard which has a CPU and RAM monitor built
into the LED window on the keyboard. This monitor tells me that I am
usually using only 20% of my ram. Even when I am multitasking and using
huge files, it never goes above 36% of ram usage. My pagefile is system
managed and usually around 8.5gig at idle.

So my questions is; Why isn't Vista utilizing more of my ram and is
there a tweak that would help me get more out of my system?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys might offer.
Jimbobaby

--
Jimbobaby
DL

Re: memory not being used?
The o/s will use what ram it requires, whether Vista or winxp; you are'nt
throwing enough at the sys to require more

"Jimbobaby" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi everyone, Nice group ya got here. I am new to vistax64 and I was
> hoping someone could explain something to me.
> I have a dell xps 600 that originally came with xp pro. 2.8 dual core
> and 1 gig memory. I was doing a lot of audio multi tracking and wanted
> to up my memory to help out with some latency problems I was having.
> the xps600 manual said that the mobo could handle 2 gig on 32bit and 8
> gig on 64bit so I upgraded to vista ultimate and installed 8 gig.
> everything runs great and this solved my latency problems but there is
> one thing I noticed.
>
> I use a G15 logitech keyboard which has a CPU and RAM monitor built
> into the LED window on the keyboard. This monitor tells me that I am
> usually using only 20% of my ram. Even when I am multitasking and using
> huge files, it never goes above 36% of ram usage. My pagefile is system
> managed and usually around 8.5gig at idle.
>
> So my questions is; Why isn't Vista utilizing more of my ram and is
> there a tweak that would help me get more out of my system?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input you guys might offer.
> Jimbobaby
>

> --
> Jimbobaby

Jimbobaby

Re: memory not being used?

OK, if you say so. I do multi track recordings and when you use 125 wav
files all at the same time, I thought there should be some change but as
long as everything is normal, I won't worry about it any more. I guess
I got a better computer than I thought I did.

--
Jimbobaby
Victek

Re: memory not being used?
> I use a G15 logitech keyboard which has a CPU and RAM monitor built
> into the LED window on the keyboard. This monitor tells me that I am
> usually using only 20% of my ram. Even when I am multitasking and using
> huge files, it never goes above 36% of ram usage. My pagefile is system
> managed and usually around 8.5gig at idle.
>
> So my questions is; Why isn't Vista utilizing more of my ram and is
> there a tweak that would help me get more out of my system?

I suggest opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance tab.
There you will see a more detailed breakdown of how your ram is allocated -
you can confirm that the full 8 gigs is being recognized, how much is
cached, etc.

Jimbobaby

Re: memory not being used?

Victek;985213 Wrote:
> > I use a G15 logitech keyboard which has a CPU and RAM monitor built> > >
> > > into the LED window on the keyboard. This monitor tells me that I am
> > > usually using only 20% of my ram. Even when I am multitasking and

> > using
> > > huge files, it never goes above 36% of ram usage. My pagefile is

> > system
> > > managed and usually around 8.5gig at idle.
> > >
> > > So my questions is; Why isn't Vista utilizing more of my ram and is
> > > there a tweak that would help me get more out of my system?
> > > > >

> I suggest opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance
> tab.
> There you will see a more detailed breakdown of how your ram is
> allocated -
> you can confirm that the full 8 gigs is being recognized, how much is
> cached, etc.

task manager say total memory is 8188 mb so thats my physical memory.
and cached memory is 5462 mb. mem usage bar is steady at 2.53 mb so
everything adds up. I am running 947687 Handles, 900 threads and 75
Processes. Everything works fine, I just never get close to using all
my ram. With every one talking about how their memory was disappearing,
I was wondering why mine never goes above 36%. Right now I am running
my online game, outlook, internet explorer and buurning a dvd. CPU is at
98% but my RAM is only at 31%.

--
Jimbobaby
Victek

Re: memory not being used?
>> I suggest opening the Task Manager and looking at the performance
>> tab.
>> There you will see a more detailed breakdown of how your ram is
>> allocated -
>> you can confirm that the full 8 gigs is being recognized, how much is
>> cached, etc.

> task manager say total memory is 8188 mb so thats my physical memory.
> and cached memory is 5462 mb. mem usage bar is steady at 2.53 mb so
> everything adds up. I am running 947687 Handles, 900 threads and 75
> Processes. Everything works fine, I just never get close to using all
> my ram. With every one talking about how their memory was disappearing,
> I was wondering why mine never goes above 36%. Right now I am running
> my online game, outlook, internet explorer and buurning a dvd. CPU is at
> 98% but my RAM is only at 31%.
>

> --

8 gb of ram is a LOT. The reason adding ram improves performance is it
reduces dependence on the pagefile. At a certain point the maximum benefit
is reached and additional ram makes no difference. To really load your
system you would probably need to run a 64 bit application, such as
Photoshop or Autocad and edit massive multi-gigabyte files.

Jimbobaby

Re: memory not being used?

My sound editing program is Adobe audition and it is the 64 bit edition
and I figure i am running about 3 to 4 gigs of sound files. I was really
just trying to make sure I wasn't missing a tweak or something. I
really appreciate everyones help. You put my mind at ease. I guess too
much RAM is better than not enough RAM.

--
Jimbobaby