Ophan folders in registry

cp24

Ophan folders in registry

Is it safe to manually deleted those ophan folders left behind in the
registry from uninstalled programs ?
Appreciate any suggestions !

--
cp24
Hank J.

Re: Ophan folders in registry
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:06:34 -0600, cp24 <guest@unknown-email.com>
wrote:

>Is it safe to manually deleted those ophan folders left behind in the
>registry from uninstalled programs ?
>Appreciate any suggestions !

They aren't doing any harm where they are... and they aren't slowing
your computer either.
Night Hawk

cp24;980269 Wrote:
> Is it safe to manually deleted those ophan folders left behind in the
> registry from uninstalled programs ?
> Appreciate any suggestions !

If the uninstaller or add/remove, Programs+Features uninstaller sees
any main keys left behind for a program you know is no longer installed
then removing any found later would be the best idea. First confirming
that these don't actually belong to some other program still in use
would be the idea there however.

Editing the system registry itself is best left for the advanced user
since one simple mistake can easily make programs presently installed
unusable. You also want to confirm that any entries removed are not part
of Windows but strictly for a 3rd party program no longer present.

--
Night Hawk
cp24

Re: Ophan folders in registry

I use the Add/Remove function in Control Panel, but they still left
folders in the area like C:...\user\appdata\roaming\.... as well as in
the rgistry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\program_name
True, they haven't slow down my PC yet, but I worry that might one day
will "collided" with other programs and fight for resouces or worse yet
-STOP all together.
I was wondering why MS Live OneCare scan didn't remove them either ?
Any more inputs ?

--
cp24
DL

Re: Ophan folders in registry
Orphaned entries will do no harm, they are not going to 'collide' with any
later installations.
Its my understanding that Live OneCare is due to be withdrawn, to be
replaced by a new free application, though bizarrely MS will still sell it
to you, and in any case I don't believe it was designed to clean orphaned
files/entries.

"cp24" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I use the Add/Remove function in Control Panel, but they still left
> folders in the area like C:...\user\appdata\roaming\.... as well as in
> the rgistry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\program_name
> True, they haven't slow down my PC yet, but I worry that might one day
> will "collided" with other programs and fight for resouces or worse yet
> -STOP all together.
> I was wondering why MS Live OneCare scan didn't remove them either ?
> Any more inputs ?
>

> --
> cp24

Night Hawk

cp24;980328 Wrote:
> I use the Add/Remove function in Control Panel, but they still left
> folders in the area like C:...\user\appdata\roaming\.... as well as in
> the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\program_name
> True, they haven't slow down my PC yet, but I worry that might one day
> will "collided" with other programs and fight for resouces or worse yet
> -STOP all together.
> I was wondering why MS Live OneCare scan didn't remove them either ?
> Any more inputs ?

The Live OneCare lacks any registry cleanup tool. Any device drivers or
software drivers can lead to conflicts if the remaining entries are
still loading those into memory. Often the software company or hardware
manufacturer will provide a removal tool for seeing both drivers and
entries removed. There are also a few driver cleaning tools available.

--
Night Hawk