windows only gets to green bar and won't do a recovery

roscoe1891

windows only gets to green bar and won't do a recovery

Hi
Here's a second attempt at help. I didn't mention before that I have a

SONY VAIO VGN-NR140E/S LAPTOP
When I first turn on my computer it brings up a black screen and tells
me that my previous set of windows maybe damaged or corrupted. Then it
gives me the opposition to do a recovery files (recommended) or run
windows as normal. Now I do the normal one and it gets the green bar
and does this for a good 5 mins. then a blue screen with stuff written
flashes for a second and it reboots again and the same message displays.

So then I pick recovery files. It loads windows files then maybe 10 to
15 minutes later the recovery menu loads. My options then are: Windows
System Restore, Vaio Hardware Diagnostics, Restore C Drive, or Data
Rescue.
The only one that does anything is the Vaio Hardware Disagnostic Test
and then it's only the quick test that does anything. When I do the
Windows System restore it loads for a second then sends me back to the
menu page with nothing done or being done. I let it set for about 2
hours. When I try the others everytime it just freezes or does nothing.
I don't get why it would do that.
So I took the back off to see if the hard drive or memory is easy to
replace and it is not. So I'm at a stump. I don't have to have to take
it in to get repaired. I've downloaded recovery discs via the internet
when they load it bumps me to a DOS page loads stuff and then ends at
A:/ which I guess it wants me to type a command but what?
Anyways anyone can give me some info please do.
thanks

--
roscoe1891
Malke

Re: windows only gets to green bar and won't do a recovery
roscoe1891 wrote:

> Hi
> Here's a second attempt at help. I didn't mention before that I have a
>
> SONY VAIO VGN-NR140E/S LAPTOP
> When I first turn on my computer it brings up a black screen and tells
> me that my previous set of windows maybe damaged or corrupted. Then it
> gives me the opposition to do a recovery files (recommended) or run
> windows as normal. Now I do the normal one and it gets the green bar
> and does this for a good 5 mins. then a blue screen with stuff written
> flashes for a second and it reboots again and the same message displays.
>
> So then I pick recovery files. It loads windows files then maybe 10 to
> 15 minutes later the recovery menu loads. My options then are: Windows
> System Restore, Vaio Hardware Diagnostics, Restore C Drive, or Data
> Rescue.
> The only one that does anything is the Vaio Hardware Disagnostic Test
> and then it's only the quick test that does anything. When I do the
> Windows System restore it loads for a second then sends me back to the
> menu page with nothing done or being done. I let it set for about 2
> hours. When I try the others everytime it just freezes or does nothing.
> I don't get why it would do that.
> So I took the back off to see if the hard drive or memory is easy to
> replace and it is not. So I'm at a stump. I don't have to have to take
> it in to get repaired. I've downloaded recovery discs via the internet
> when they load it bumps me to a DOS page loads stuff and then ends at
> A:/ which I guess it wants me to type a command but what?
> Anyways anyone can give me some info please do.
> thanks

If you haven't backed up your data, try using a Linux Live CD like Knoppix
or a Bart's PE to copy your files to an external hard drive.

Then test your hard drive with the drive mftr.'s diagnostic utility (or use
Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). If the hard drive fails any physical tests (do
the long one), replace it. If the hard drive passes the long test, restore
your computer completely to factory condition. This is not the "recover
files" option but a full destructive restore to factory condition. If the
factory restore fails, you have other hardware issues. You can test the
RAM, but I rather doubt that will be the culprit. In that case, you have no
choice but to contact Sony tech support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!