Can't get past green bar and when try to do a recovery no luck

roscoe1891

Can't get past green bar and when try to do a recovery no luck

The other day something happened on my computer when I restarted it. It
was stuck on the green loading bar, then a blue screen flashes for a
second and it goes to a black screen that says my hardware my be damaged
or corrupted so it asks me to run recovery to fix the problem. At first
it goes back to the green loading bar and stays there for a while when
goes black and the harddrive stops doing anything. A few tries later I
do the same thing and let it set for an hour then the recovery start up
screen comes on. It takes 30 mins to load completely. When finished I
have 4 options. I can check the memory to make sure it's good, I can't
clear my C drive or try to save my C drives info to an external hd, and
I can do a recovery to factory use. I've tried them all now. First my
memory runs fine and everything is A OK. Then I dot he others and it
just freezes or when I try to do the recovery it loads for a second and
then goes back to the menu screen and does nothing. I mean I even went
out and bought a new upgrade disc to windows vista basic. I had premium
on it but I figured if I down grade it might work. No luck... It boots
from disc but goes right back to the green bar and then tells me to fix
problem with vista, which I am unable to do. Anyone had this problem or
now what can be done by me before I have to send it in?
Thanks

--
roscoe1891
Malke

Re: Can't get past green bar and when try to do a recovery no luck
roscoe1891 wrote:

> The other day something happened on my computer when I restarted it. It
> was stuck on the green loading bar, then a blue screen flashes for a
> second and it goes to a black screen that says my hardware my be damaged
> or corrupted so it asks me to run recovery to fix the problem. At first
> it goes back to the green loading bar and stays there for a while when
> goes black and the harddrive stops doing anything. A few tries later I
> do the same thing and let it set for an hour then the recovery start up
> screen comes on. It takes 30 mins to load completely. When finished I
> have 4 options. I can check the memory to make sure it's good, I can't
> clear my C drive or try to save my C drives info to an external hd, and
> I can do a recovery to factory use. I've tried them all now. First my
> memory runs fine and everything is A OK. Then I dot he others and it
> just freezes or when I try to do the recovery it loads for a second and
> then goes back to the menu screen and does nothing. I mean I even went
> out and bought a new upgrade disc to windows vista basic. I had premium
> on it but I figured if I down grade it might work. No luck... It boots
> from disc but goes right back to the green bar and then tells me to fix
> problem with vista, which I am unable to do. Anyone had this problem or
> now what can be done by me before I have to send it in?

It sounds like you have hardware failure, possibly the hard drive. Test the
drive with a diagnostic downloaded from the drive mftr.'s website (or use
Seagate's SeaTools For DOS). You will create a bootable CD with the file
you download. You will need third-party burning software to do this such as
Roxio, Nero, or the free CDBurnerXP Pro. Burn as an image, not as data.

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Boot with the CD you made and do a thorough test of the drive. If it fails
any physical tests, replace it. If the hard drive has failed and you have
important data that must be retrieved, contact a professional data recovery
company such as Drive Savers (www.drivesavers.com).

If the hard drive is good, then pull it and either put it in an external
enclosure or temporarily slave it in a working computer and retrieve your
data. Then either do more hardware troubleshooting or, if the computer is
still under warranty, contact the computer mftr.'s tech support for
repair/replacement.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

EW

"roscoe1891" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The other day something happened on my computer when I restarted it. It
> was stuck on the green loading bar, then a blue screen flashes for a
> second and it goes to a black screen that says my hardware my be damaged
> or corrupted so it asks me to run recovery to fix the problem.

In addition to Malke's suggestion, I'd recommend you open the computer and
re-seat the memory modules and the video card (and anything else that's
easy). I had the same problem on my Dell, and this worked, and has been
fine for over a year now.

EW