Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0IE1lZ2V4?=

Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)
(I am running Vista Home Premium with UAC partially enabled by way of a
registry edit that disables the dialog boxes that pop up whenever you try to
install something, etc. while still allowing things such as file
virtualization)

When trying to view System Information, it displays the System Information
window (meaning the executable or whatever is probably still there), but the
following is displayed where the system information would normally be:

Can't Collect Information
Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows
Management files may be moved or missing.

After some time spent surfing the web looking for solutions (during which I
checked if the WMI service(s) were enabled [which they were], as well as
stopping the service and services that depend on it, deleting the contents of
the Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder, and restarting), I opened
wmimgmt.msc and right-clicked WMI Control (Local), and the following was
shown on the General tab in the box (textbox?):

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied.
Win32_WMISetting: Successful
Security information: Successful
Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied.

I then "[Generated] a system health report" (Control Panel>System and
Maintenance>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools>Generate a
system health report). The only test that failed (at least, that was reported
as failed) was the OS check. Here are the queries and results of the check
(slightly modified from the original only because of the lack of a table here
for the results).

Query: root\cimv2:SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem
Query Result: 0X80070005

Query: root\cimv2:SELECT *FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
Query Result: 0X80070005
John_Sal914

RE: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)
I have the same exact problem. System operates just fine but under system
information it has:

System Memory: Not available
System Memory: Not Available

Along with the same missing "Can't Collect Information" warning when you
type"msinfo32" in the run box.

Even in the Vista Services.msc program, all services have blank
dependencies. I know RPC services has a ton of dependencies but even that one
is blank.

What's the deal???????

"Cat Megex" wrote:

> (I am running Vista Home Premium with UAC partially enabled by way of a
> registry edit that disables the dialog boxes that pop up whenever you try to
> install something, etc. while still allowing things such as file
> virtualization)
>
> When trying to view System Information, it displays the System Information
> window (meaning the executable or whatever is probably still there), but the
> following is displayed where the system information would normally be:
>

> Can't Collect Information
> Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows
> Management files may be moved or missing.
>

> After some time spent surfing the web looking for solutions (during which I
> checked if the WMI service(s) were enabled [which they were], as well as
> stopping the service and services that depend on it, deleting the contents of
> the Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder, and restarting), I opened
> wmimgmt.msc and right-clicked WMI Control (Local), and the following was
> shown on the General tab in the box (textbox?):
>

> Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.
>
> Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied.
> Win32_WMISetting: Successful
> Security information: Successful
> Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied.
>

> I then "[Generated] a system health report" (Control Panel>System and
> Maintenance>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools>Generate a
> system health report). The only test that failed (at least, that was reported
> as failed) was the OS check. Here are the queries and results of the check
> (slightly modified from the original only because of the lack of a table here
> for the results).
>

> Query: root\cimv2:SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem
> Query Result: 0X80070005
>
> Query: root\cimv2:SELECT *FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
> Query Result: 0X80070005

Sterling0466

RE: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)
I too have that problem. My page says:
System

Processor Not Availiable
Memory Not Available
System Type 32bit Operating System.

The kicker is that the Window Vista Welcome Screen shows my Core 2 Duo and
part of my 4 gigs of memory until you click see more information. This used
to work, but now it doesn't.
"John_Sal914" wrote:

> I have the same exact problem. System operates just fine but under system
> information it has:
>
> System Memory: Not available
> System Memory: Not Available
>
> Along with the same missing "Can't Collect Information" warning when you
> type"msinfo32" in the run box.
>
> Even in the Vista Services.msc program, all services have blank
> dependencies. I know RPC services has a ton of dependencies but even that one
> is blank.
>
> What's the deal???????
>
> "Cat Megex" wrote:
>
> > (I am running Vista Home Premium with UAC partially enabled by way of a
> > registry edit that disables the dialog boxes that pop up whenever you try to
> > install something, etc. while still allowing things such as file
> > virtualization)
> >
> > When trying to view System Information, it displays the System Information
> > window (meaning the executable or whatever is probably still there), but the
> > following is displayed where the system information would normally be:
> >

> > Can't Collect Information
> > Cannot access the Windows Management Instrumentation software. Windows
> > Management files may be moved or missing.
> >

> > After some time spent surfing the web looking for solutions (during which I
> > checked if the WMI service(s) were enabled [which they were], as well as
> > stopping the service and services that depend on it, deleting the contents of
> > the Windows\System32\wbem\Repository folder, and restarting), I opened
> > wmimgmt.msc and right-clicked WMI Control (Local), and the following was
> > shown on the General tab in the box (textbox?):
> >

> > Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.
> >
> > Win32_Processor: Win32: Access is denied.
> > Win32_WMISetting: Successful
> > Security information: Successful
> > Win32_OperatingSystem: Win32: Access is denied.
> >

> > I then "[Generated] a system health report" (Control Panel>System and
> > Maintenance>Performance Information and Tools>Advanced Tools>Generate a
> > system health report). The only test that failed (at least, that was reported
> > as failed) was the OS check. Here are the queries and results of the check
> > (slightly modified from the original only because of the lack of a table here
> > for the results).
> >

> > Query: root\cimv2:SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem
> > Query Result: 0X80070005
> >
> > Query: root\cimv2:SELECT *FROM Win32_OperatingSystem
> > Query Result: 0X80070005

RamonetB

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

Hello guys,

Not sure if this has found a solution yet or not on this forum, but
I've been experiencing the same problem and have finally found a
solution (Reinstalling is not a acceptable solution). To avoid
exposition, scroll down to "THE FIX."

Turns out Vista is notoriously fragile in keeping permissions straight
in its head between crashes, software installations, and even reboots.

Cat Megex first pointed me in the right direction with the WMI Local
service, specifically with the information that "Access is Denied " to
Win_32 Processor and Operating System classes. This reeked of the same
problems that exist with being unable to access the Network Settings
menus, browsing the network, and that dread red "X" on the network icon.
That was a permissions issue fixable by adding the NT Authority/Local
Service to the administrators group (which, oddly enough, it wasn't a
member of to begin with, so this "fix" is a black patch at best).

A little further investigation revealed that typing MSINFO32 at the
command prompt (to bring up the system information) would yield the
error:

"Can't Collect Information. Cannot access the Windows Management
Instrumentation software. Windows Management files may be moved or
missing."

These errors are related and, it turns out, this issue is also a
permissions, solved by another black patch of sorts.
_
*_THE_FIX:*_

You must add "SERVICE" to the administrators group. This will give
permissions back to the system to access the WMI classes as well as
allowing MSINFO32 to access them.

Two ways to do this:
_
Simple_/_Long_way_(Vista_Business,_Enterprise,_Ultimate_us ers_only):_
- Access the MMC (microsoft management console) by right clicking on
"My Computer" and select "Manage."
- In the window that appears, along the left hand column, select
"Local Users and Groups."
- The center window will now show a listing of groups and users on
the computer. Click the Groups Tab to open it up.
- Double click Administrators to add a a user to the group.
- Press the "Add" button at the bottom of the new window.
- The window that follows allows you to add users and services to the
administrator group. MAKE SURE THE BOX TITLED "From this Location"
LISTS YOUR COMPUTER NAME AND not YOUR DOMAIN. If it isn't your
computer name, Press the "Locations" button and select your computer.
We want to add a LOCAL (ie, your computer) service to the group.
- In the bottom box, titled "Enter the object names to select," type
SERVICE.
- Press the "Check Names" button and it should verify the name is
correct.
- Press the "Ok" button on the all windows to get back to the
management console.
- THAT'S IT! You may have to reboot to get the information in the
"Show me more details" window to appear._Technical_/_Quick_way_(All_Vista_users):_

Unfortunately, Vista home editions do not have a management console.
Thusly, we must add the group via the command prompt. This method is
quicker, though more technical.
- Goto the start menu and LOCATE your command prompt (should be under
Accessories).
- Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator."
- At the command prompt, type the following: net localgroup "Administrators" "NT Authority\Service"
/add

And press Enter.
THAT'S IT! You're done! Again, you may have to reboot.

As an aside, you may also be able use the following line:

net localgroup Administrators /add Service

They technically mean the same thing, but the first one is a
little more thorough and should reduce the risk of Vista getting
confused with something or another service.

Hope that helps you all! Spread the word and no more reinstalling!

-kirk

P.S. I'm running SP1 RC with my Vista and it didn't prevent this issue
or the Networking one either. Here's hoping the final version fixes
it!

--
RamonetB

Once, I thought I was wrong. I was mistaken...
njovanelly@gmail.com

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)
THANKS RamonetB! That resolved the issue immediately!
chuck32560

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

I have to say thank you too. I've been searching the internet for months
looking for this fix.

--
chuck32560
Ultripp2002

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

This worked well.

Thanks

--
Ultripp2002
logical

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

Thanks,
This solves a problem with windows update KB948109, where every time it
checks for updates it want to do this one again, even though update
history says it was successfull every time.

--
logical
logical's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/logical.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Jeb10

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

I've come to the party a bit late but have all the symptoms described by
others. Running Vista Home Premium. Tried your fix but cannot run RUN as
administrator, the option doesn't appear when right clicking, just
'Run'.
Running the WMI management console I eventually get told that 'WMI
errors not available. Update WMI to newer build' Needless to say there
is no guidance on how to do this.
I looked for a 'restore' file but I have no .rec files on the computer
that I can find.
Would using the Command prompt from the installation disc work.
Any help for an elderly novice would be gratefully received.
John

--
Jeb10
Jeb10's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/jeb10.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...nce/721770.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

PoWidowSon

Re: Cannot view System Information (apparently a WMI error)

You are the man. Had seen this solution in a thread and could not find.
This seems to be the solution to a lot of vista service problems! Thanks
for the info!

--
PoWidowSon
PoWidowSon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/powidowson.htm